FA: 38XP & 32XD Japan/Target first pressings (inc. Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, etc.)

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by progmog, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progmog

progmog Senior Member Thread Starter

The purge from my collection continues. I just listed a number of Japanese first pressings, including targets repackaged for sale in Japan. All CDs come with the original obi-strips, and include titles from the from the following:

Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    The Doors
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Fleetwood Mac
    Foreigner
    Led Zeppelin
    Stevie Nicks
    Paul Simon
    Yes

Check 'em out: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwhitepeoneyQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0

2. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

This is going to mean another meeting with my Bank Manager :shake: :D

3. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

So many incredible titles in here - and all at once. I wish I had the money to bid on more than one.

4. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Is the LZ IV Japan target CD the Red and Silver model or the WG Teal/Orange?

5. progmog

Teal/Orange.

6. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

What happened to LZ IV? I was watching it and now it has disappeared.

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

a few other member too :confused:

8. progmog

Sorry, guys, I had to de-list it because I mis-graded the disc as EX, when it was actually a VG+. I use listing software that makes life so much easier when listing multiple auctions. The only drawback is that if I need to revise any of my auctions, the only way that I can do it is to remove the listing completely, amend the offending item, and then re-list it.

It'll be back up for auction with the next lot. Sorry about that folks!

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I didn't see it. Was the Zep IV the gold obi 38XP-3? That obi is hella-rare!

Actually, so are the Fleetwood Macs. and the Croce.

My goodness, what a nice handful of obis.

10. progmog

Yes, the one with the gold obi-strip.

11. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

the 32XD "Houses Of The Holy" is also very rare.

12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

To clarify, maybe just for me, is that 32XD or 32XP? I have a couple 32XP-154 "Houses of The Holy".

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The 32XP is the W. Germany for Japan target. The 32XD is the first Japan for Japan pressing. The target seems comes up more often these days. Rare (XP) and rarer (XD).

14. rburly

Thanks Darcy! :righton:

15. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

With the exception of the catalog number, it seems like the 32XP and 32XD obis are the same.

16. rburly

Agreed. I saw the obi, looked at mine and thought it was just a typo. I know mine aren't Targets, but every other identifier is the same except the P and D.

Plus the catalog number is the same (ending in 154) except for the XP and XD.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's odd; these are usually targets. "XP" usually indicates a disc pressed for foreign markets (usually manufactured in West Germany, but some Japan manufactured discs as well). So the disc will not have "32XP-154" on it. What do your discs actually look like?

18. rburly

Thanks for asking! If you hadn't asked I doubt I would have looked. They're teal/red targets as mentioned by Darcy above. :thumbsup:

19. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

The same guy won both LZ I and HOTH. He's gonna "have fun" listening to those beauties :thumbsup:

20. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Do they sound much different than the U.S. and W. German Target cds?

The 32XD Morrison Hotel went for $163., while the 32XD Strange Days went for $20..:wtf: Both have an obi and are in similar condition.

I know there isn't a DCC of Hotel, but is it that much scarcer than Strange Days?

21. progmog

You hit the nail on the head: There isn't a DCC of 'Morrison Hotel', and the 32XD of 'Morrison Hotel' is a lot harder to find than the 32XD of 'Strange Days', particularly one which has the obi-strip intact.

22. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

I'm not an expert on these matters, but if you want my opinion, here goes:

HOTH: I don't have the 32XD CD. I have never heard it. I do have the West German Target. The earliest compact discs were made in West Germany, so I have always thought that there is no earlier pressing than the disc I have. I always assume that the closer I can get to BD's mastering tape, the better off I am. Could I be wrong? You bet :).

Morrison Hotel was well-recorded to begin with, I think. The West German Target sounds very, very good, so it's logical to assume that the Japan first pressing will sound the same. Could I be wrong? You bet :)

I get most of my info on Japnese Cd's from experts like Pig Wisperer, Dave, Ashlee5, etc. These guys know their stuff :thumbsup:

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I actually don't think that the Morrison Hotel is appreciably rarer than the Strange Days CD. They are both rare with Obi, and I think the person who paid $20 for the Strange Days got a bargain. I think it is more a matter of a few people happening to want the item.

I have the 32XD and the target of both HOTH and Morrison Hotel. I would suspect that they both sound very good, and that they basically sound the same. That has been my experience. There are notable exceptions, of course -- Fleetwood Mac's Rumous Japan-for-US target is quite different from the Japan 32XD pressing. But, usually they sound the same in my experience.

I see that my max bid on Led Zepp II with Obi was about 50% of the eventually sales price. That and the 38XP-3 gold Zep IV obi are the only Zep obis that I'm missing, but I'll live to fight another day.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Recently, in an auction, I found three Zep 32XDs. Although I set really big bids on them... , The result was one won two lost. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.