FA: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here 2 track holy grail

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kenrothman, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Anybody else here a glitch around 14:37 of track one? Is it a glitch?

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

No glitch here.

3. tone ded freb

Even with headphones?

Thanks, I'll have to investigate further. :righton:

4. LesPaul666

What kind of glitch are you describing. The only thing I hear at that time frame is possibly the echo of the vocals, and the synth note coming in, which is perfectly normal, on all masterings of this album, on "Welcome To The Machine. Is your CD damaged, or is it a rip your listening to?

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No difference here. I have three different copies of the 35DP and one CK, and they are all identical.

6. KeithH

By the way, did anyone notice the Index logo on the OBI strip that drbryant showed? Not surprisingly, the disc has index codes.

7. LesPaul666

Let me know if you ever want to part with one of the Japan for Japan CD's, Keith...

I kind of figured that the 35DP4 was an identical CD with the different labeling scheme for the two issues. The Japanese one looks so cool!(just like that Night Ranger CD...);)

8. LesPaul666

I vaguely remember when I had my original 35DP4, it indexed seperate on my old Sony CDP-101. The last player that I had that had indexing was my Sony Laserdisc combo unit.

9. tone ded freb

I've posted a short sample here. :righton:

Around 9 seconds into the sample, just as the line "welcome, my son" is ending (corresponding to around 14:37 of track 1), is the sound I'm referring to. Sounds like a digital artifact or something. I'm confident my rip is accurate to my disc. I played the disc and heard the same noise. My disc has the same matrix number as Dave's.

Is this sound not on your disc?

10. LesPaul666

What you're describing, is what I've posted above. It's not a glitch. It's on the master tapes since it's on *all* issues of this CD.

I'll say this. Your 35DP4 sample *does not* sound like mine. That sample was from a Japan for Japan CD, directly?

11. tone ded freb

Glad to hear it's not unique to my disc. :D Thanks for checking.

Yes, straight from the Japan for Japan 35DP-4 with the matrix number that Dave's has. No processing has been applied, so the pre-emphasis would be boosting high frequencies.

12. LesPaul666

Oh jeez, I was wondering why the mid and high EQ was different! Your sample was obviously not propery De-Emphasized.:D

13. LesPaul666

After hearing your sample, i went and played my 35DP4 in 3 different players, saying "what's wrong here?" they all had the same timbre in the mids and highs. With the pre-emphasis, I thought your disc was a remaster at first.;)

14. KeithH

I have a Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player with indexing. Maybe I'll give the Floyd disc a spin there to see if the indexing works.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As you likely already know, your SCD-777ES has indexing too!

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The indexing works. I used to use it all the time back in the day...

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The relatively recently introduced Sony xa9000es SACD player (2003?) also has indexing functions. Pretty useless if you ask me; although I suppose it's better than fast forwarding 5 minutes to get to Wish You Were Here on track "2".

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow. That's amazing. I am pretty sure that it is a "hako obi" (in other words, the obi folds into a box shape and is then slipped onto the end of the CD). Do you know for sure?

I do find it a little odd that the obi is so difficult to locate. You would think that there would be more around. But if it was a hako obi, then I would understand why most people might have thrown it away, as they were very difficult to store if you actually wanted to listen to your disc from time to time.

19. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

They are still out there. The problem is `where?`.

Regards

20. LesPaul666

"Somewhere out there". Honestly, I could care less about the OBI. It's the CD I'm concerned about.:agree:

21. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Each to his own, I guess. :)

22. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Well, honestly I do care about it. For some collectors, the obi is an integral part of the presentation of the japanese cd. If I was to drop in excess of $600 for this, I would like a copy where everything is perfect and complete - the audio and the aesthetic.

each to his own, I guess. :)

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Japan would be the obvious place to start:angel:

24. LesPaul666

For 6 bills, I'd want an OBI. No question. There's gotta be some of these floating around un-noticed. I think everywhere else they're probably just the "old, unremastered, Wish You Were Here CD", sitting on listeners' shelves while playing that newer EMI mastering.

25. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

A very kind Italian collector sent me a better scan of the obi. It is (as drbryant suggested) a `Hako` obi. The collector has verified this.

[​IMG]

:righton:

he also has many gorgeous scans of some incredible gems.

http://www.batini.com/_scripts/blcdpages.php?blpage=pfjp

On a side note, he also claims that a copy of `The Final Cut 35DP53` with an obi is even harder to find than that of the 35DP-4. He says has only ever seen it once in a lifetime of collecting rare floyd stuff.

Here it is anyway.

[​IMG]

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.