FA: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here 2 track holy grail

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kenrothman, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Just as a follow up, the obi for `The Final Cut` 35DP53 is also a `Hako` obi, which goes some way to explain its scarcity.

Regards

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:D it's a nice idea, but I really doubt thats the case. I bet the first presses were only bought by collectors. (people who didn't even have a cd player)

Any more info on why hako types are rare?

3. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Simple reason is that a great many got accidentally destroyed. Unlike the standard obi-strips, if you forgot to take off the box-obi before opening the jewel-case, nine times out of ten you would end up tearing the box. I should know, I've done it a couple of times myself :realmad:

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The hako obis are rare because they wrap around the side and top of the CD case, like a box. See below. You actually have to physically remove it from the CD case in order to open it. Thus, unless you were a hard core collector, those obis were thrown away a long time ago. The Wish You Were Here and Final Cut obis posted above, look like they have been cut, which would dilute the value by 90%. Another point worth mentioning is that 35DP pressings of Wish You Were Here and Final Cut were replaced relatively quickly by 32DP pressings (when the prices were decreased to 3200 Yen). Some titles, such as DSOTM, Journey's Escape, or Toto's IV were kept at 3500 Yen for a while, and so there are a lot more of the 35DP pressings (and their obis) floating around.

[​IMG]

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have a couple discs that have a box obi, but not too many. "The Best Of Leon Russell" is one and I have a copy of "Blood, Sweat & Tears" that has one. Maybe more at home.

6. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

I know how you feel, I scored my only Hako on my 38DP 102 Al Di Meola "Scenario". When it arrived I just thought it was a standard obi, then in my excitement tried to open up the case, putting a 5mm tear in it. It still looks sweet, compared to what could have happened.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have a few classical CDs with obis like this, Bruno Walter's performances of Bruckner Symphonies 4 (35DC 117) and 9 (35DC 114), both with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thanks Guys-That photo says it all. Many Thanks

9. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I had a few with the OBI in that fashion. Never ripped one, either. Now to find the elusive true-to-spec black and gold label Japan for Japan 35DP4...:D

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Kevin noticed:

There are some early Japanese pressings that denoted (in:dex) on the packaging - eg some Denon classical titles.

There are plenty of later examples of indexing where it isn't denoted on the packaging though (eg, Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations" box).

Seems like the (in:dex) logo was only used on very early Japanese CD releases.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Can anyone cofirm that both the Japan-for-Japan and Japan-for-USA pressings of 35DP-4 have the individual songs within the two tracks split by index points?

12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I can confirm that the Japan-for-US CD does have indexes for the individual songs. I used to have a player capable of index skip, and I could index skip into the 2 tracks to hear the individual songs.

Kevin

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Japan-for-Japan 35DP 4 also has two tracks with indexing function. It works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.