FA: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Japan CD 35DP-4 Still Sealed

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by SimonSaysCake, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Watch this one go through the roof.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Wow, just wow...

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have dozens of these at home. Are they valuable? :winkgrin:

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If I sell 1/2 my collection I have a chance.

;) -That obi is probably worth a grand to some :eek:

6. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I predict $486.52

I think it would go for a lot more if:
    A) The economy was better
    B) Visa bills with Christmas purchases weren't due about right now

Actually, I just read the fine print and the seller states he will stop the auction at any time for any reason. We may never know what this one sells for as someone with more money than me will most likely make an offer the seller cannot rufuse.

For those looking for the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PINK-FLOYD-Japa...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309|301:1|293:1|294:50

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This same copy was put up for sale in Japan last year and was pulled. It appears legit. I think it may approach $2000.

It won't be an audiophile that buys this. You break that seal, you've decreased the value quite a bit. I think that there are a handful of serious Floyd collectors out there. The same guys who paid $6000 for a copy of Syd Barrett's signed Genesis book - this one would be pocket change. And it is a holy grail of sorts - I mean, in 20 years of buying CD's in Japan, I've seen the obi live ONCE - and this one is sealed!

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I remember that. Same seller?

I remember at the time thinking that it didn't exist. The seller tells me that the guy he bought this from bought 3 (different) sealed Cds back in 1982 and opened one of them. This CD and another (different) CD were on the shelf since 1982.

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am trying to remember that first auction. The seller was different, but I think that this is the same item. I wish that I had saved those pictures from the first auction.

Heck, I think I'll put in a bid. It'll be nice to be the high bidder (close to being the owner, right?) for a while.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

+1

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I wonder if this is, as the seller states, a "Gold Faced Label". Hasn't it been suggested that the first ones didn't have OBIs and that the later silverface label version came with the OBI.

Despite that, I figure the guy probably knows whats in the box. Just curious thats all. Now where is that popcorn smiley?

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's nearly there already.

13. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I bet it would top $1000

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I'll just watch for fun

15. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this will go above 1500 USD :shh:

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I agree. In fact, I won't be surprised if it hits over $2K.

17. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I'm guessing there wasn't exactly a shortage on these on the shelves in Japan in October, 1982? Certainly not 75 copies in every store like some of today's artists, but if you owned a CD player in those first few months and wanted this title (and lived in Tokyo), I'm sure they were available, no?

18. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Whoops, I actually meant $986.52 (heck, the Japan for USA 2-tracker sells for nearly $400.00).

19. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

Bonus trivia question. What album is the 35DP-4 disc sitting on in those photos?

-s1m0n-

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I wasn't in Tokyo in 1982, but I was there in 1984-85, and CD's were plentiful, but most of the floorspace was taken up by records and cassettes (remember the Walkman?). Since the 5-track 32DP was released in July 1985, the 2-track has a short shelf life (a little over 2-1/2 years), and it was gone before most rock fans bought their CD players. I would guess that a lot people who owned CD players in Japan were buying classical, jazz, and Japanese titles. So, while it was generally available, my guess is that it didn't sell that well. I think that many Pink Floyd collectors have one in their collection, of course, but they ain't selling.

I've heard that, and we know that the first Abbey Roads (the ones manufactured by CBS/Sony and not Toshiba) didn't have obis because there are quite a few sealed copies around (Beatles collectors, you see). But I have purchased a few gold face label discs with the box obis intact, so I am fairly certain that they always had obis. But the golds were only pressed between October and December 1982 (first pressings for 35DP-1 to 35DP-44) and those box obis are just designed to be torn or thrown away; so you don't see them with the gold face discs too often.

21. Not necessarily Frank. I remember seeing pictures, and clips on the nightly news of people in Japan standing in line to get the first CD players, and CD's. I'm sure the demand far outweighed the supply in Japan, if I remember correctly.

Even here in the U.S., while the 35DP-4 would have been in print, a CD player, and an import CD from Japan were toys for the rich and famous (I'm exaggerating a little bit, but you know what I mean). And even though CD's were released in October of 82', I didn't see the first CD hanging in a regular mall music shop, until the later part of 83'. That was in the regular pop/rock section, while I'm sure had I been frequenting the Classical section in those days, I may have seen them sooner.

22. 'Atom Heart Mother'?

23. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Man, if only I was able to get that job I really want (Powerball Winner) then I could spring for this...

24. Eric B

Eric B Forum Resident

Wow....
    That's a killer!

My guess would be $1650.00

25. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I sent you a PM.

That's exactly my understanding, the first were gold and black, but weren't sealed or have OBIs. I have one gold and one silver, neither with an OBI. Obviously by saying that it's gold, he's stating it's one of the first pressed. But I think it's a later one (silver). The sealed and obi are the giveaways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.