FA: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Japan CD 35DP-4 Still Sealed

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by SimonSaysCake, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I wonder if something about the bidding pattern made eBay suspicious. The auction started at $0.01 and shot up to $1000 in one day. Maybe eBay suspected shill bidding.

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Maybe ebay has a fraud algorithm looks at one price movements that mimic past known fraud patterns.

;)

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What were the payment methods? Anything other than Paypal? Did it say "Like New" anywhere. Those two are popular reasons ebay deletes an auction.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I know the seller takes Paypal.

It was listed as "Brand New", which technically it isn't, but it's sealed. I wouldn't think they'd pull it for that. I'd think they'd ask him to change it to "New".

5. Party's over. Move along now folks. There's nothing left to see here. :laugh:

6. KeithH

I still say it's the bidding pattern that caused eBay to pull it.

7. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Looks like fake pictures. The pictures on his other auctions don't match that look, and they say "Copyright JP" on them. Maybe "JP" complained.

9. KeithH

I don't think the pictures look fake. The seller is japan-paper-sleeve-cd-man. "JP" could be a short version of his ID. He may have chosen to add the "watermark" on these pictures becuase it's a rare item (likely one-of-a-kind), and he wants to discourage scammers from using the pictures for bogus auctions.

10. I think the guy was just putting the bait out there to see not how many bites he would get, but how big of a bite he would get. I think that big disclaimer about the right to end the auction at any time, for any reason, was a dead give away.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This guy has sold a ton of CD's, so I suspect that he wouldn't jeopardize his business by shill bidding, but who knows. Maybe we'll see it again soon. It would have been fun to watch this.

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I think I know why Ebay removed it. I have an AMP scheduled for Tonight to go live.
    I got a removal alert from EBAY because they don't like the phrase...

"I reserve the right to remove this item before the end of the sale"

It contradicts EBAY's user agreement.

Expect to see it back with this phrase removed.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I've bought quite a few CDs from this seller over the years- never had a problem, and his items are always as described.

14. rburly

That's the right reason, D. But we may not see it again.

He's thinking that he might just hold onto it. I don't blame him, I'd never let go of it. But, he's a seller. He told me that he "might just keep it to pass on to his heirs". We'll see.

15. SimonSaysCake

SimonSaysCake Senior Member Thread Starter

Which is (sort of) odd considering that, last I checked, Ebay gave you all the tools you needed to cancel all bids and then close the auction early. Perhaps if he had stated:

I reserve the right to remove this item before the end of the sale if I determine there is an error in the listing.

he would have been OK :shrug:

-s1m0n-

16. KeithH

You're right. A seller can end a listing early under certain circumstances. They just aren't allowed to say that they might end a listing early. I find that strange. At least the seller is letting you know up front.

It wouldn't surprise me if eBay has an automatic search function that looks for a string of words like "I reserve the right to end this auction early" and similar strings. Alternatively, certain bidding activity may draw extra attention. eBay might have seen the auction in question jump from $0.01 to $1000 quickly and gone over it with a fine-toothed comb.

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I gave up trying to work out some of Ebay's policies ages ago, as just when you think you understand it, they change it.:shake:
    But I think Keith is right, they must have some search facility as my advert wasn't even live.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

At the very least, he should hold onto it until the Floyd are next in the news (and perhaps when the market is a little stronger). Can you imagine if they agreed to a 3/4 reunion, and then he put it up on Ebay? He can afford to wait. Unless there is a box of these in some Sony warehouse that has been forgotten, there won't be too many of these hitting the market.

It was cool to see those pictures.

19. rburly

I told him that he has every right to cancel the auction early anyway, so I didn't see why they would pull his auction for such an almost pointless reason. Oh well.

20. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

he should have Christie's Auction the thing.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

22. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Here we go again. It will be fun watching this.

24. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Something exciting to watch again from my Hotel room in Fosnavåg..... :)

25. KeithH

Guys, I would not be at all surprised if the seller cancels this auction early, too. It seems to me that he doesn't really want to sell it. He is an active seller on eBay, but he is not committed to selling this disc.

I am not saying that the guy would put it on eBay and pull it just to toy with people. My take is that he is truly torn.

When he posted pictures of the disc here last year, he fielded offers from me and other members (i.e., some of you ;)). When I made a couple of offers initially, he responded, but eventually, he disappeared. I thought perhaps that he made a deal with another member and didn't want to tell me. He obviously didn't sell it last year.

Fast forward to last week. When the auction was pulled, I wrote him asking what had happened. He explained the situation and cursed out eBay. Then he told me to make an offer if I was interested. I made an offer and got no response. Then I sent another message asking if we could discuss an offer, and he never responded. Now it's back on eBay.

I don't think the guy really wants to part with it. He could post it on eBay with a very high Buy It Now, but he's probably afraid that someone would go for it, in which case he would be (more or less) forced to part with it.

Don't be surprised if the auction ends early.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.