Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers animated series in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd wager it's just that one scene.

Anyway, I'm still wondering who the audience for this is - it seems to kind of fall between generations. I don't expect it'll last long, but then my record for predictions isn't exactly flawless.

Scope J likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I remember very little about the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, or Fat Freddy's Cat.

Therefore, I must have been reading it under the proper circumstances...! :D

Scope J likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't think anybody has to be familiar with the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers previous adventures to enjoy this new show, any more than you had to have read every Freak Brothers comic to pick up any issue and enjoy it. They were successful because they were very good comics.

They're bringing them into today, and all you have to know is "here are three hippies from the late sixties" dropped into our modern world. It will live or die by the strength of the stories, and I found the clip I posted amusing.

They couldn't tell many of the existing stories because they were very much of their time. For instance, the only women in any of the Freak Brothers stories were basically "teeny boppers", exclusively there as sex objects. A running gag in the original comics was Fat Freddy going out to score dope and getting burned - but now all he has to do is get a dispensary card and have access to a carefully curated vast selection beyond anything that was ever available on the street.

Those original stories are as far removed in time from us as they were from Little Nemo as Slumberland. And you couldn't exactly make an animated Little Nemo in in early 70s with a caricature cannibal.

[​IMG]

Windsor McKay was one of the most brilliant illustrators and cartoonists that has ever lived, but he was a man of his time. Gilbert Shelton is nearly as brilliant, but he also a man of his time.

Dok and Frozensoda like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Such a gift that Fantagraphics went all-out to reprint all those McKay's.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Beat me to it.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wish they'd left them in the late '60s/early '70s

:cry:

elaterium likes this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I saw one episode. Was utterly stupid. A real head scratcher.

Scope J likes this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

One of the funniest FFFBs bits was when they rigged a car up with remote control and put a blow up Mickey Mouse in the driver's seat. Then they wreaked havoc with the remote car while watching from a rooftop.

Mooglander, Chris DeVoe and elaterium like this.
  11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Me too, I ate one sour too.

Anyone recall that story?

Chris DeVoe, YardByrd and keefer1970 like this.
  12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Trailer has dropped. Probably NSFW!

13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Watched the first two episodes last night. It's dumb, but I had fun. Basically it's a stoner version of Rip Van Winkle.

I still don't understand why they felt the need to make Fat Freddy's Cat a she, but Tiffany Haddish has a great, snarky voice so they gave her most of the good one-liners.

The Cat is more of an active participant in the bro's wacky hi-jinks in the show, too, whereas in the comics he was usually left alone to wage war on the apartment cockroaches whenever the Freaks went tripping off on a new adventure.

The "new" kitty also appears to be just as stoned as the bro's, which is another switch. In the comics the Cat was usually the smartest one in the room, looking down on the Freaks and commenting on their stupidity with typical feline superiority/disdain.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

First 3 ep.s had some laughs,
    4 & 5 flat-out sucked

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

We made it halfway through one episode.

Scope J likes this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They've been in "stasis"