Faces - How do you rate them?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Good. But for me anyway, The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood were a better band. And as good as Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan were, I've always preferred Nicky Hopkins and Mickey Waller .

peachyg72 and KeninDC like this.
  2. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

A poor man’s black crowes

The Beave likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I don't know as I always liked the album. There was an official cd version but it is long out of print. Could it be a licensing thing that has caused it to miss out? Rod on Mercury now part of Universal and Faces on Warners- I don't know.
    Faces (3)

tommy-thewho likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Black Crowes = poor man's Humble Pie. :winkgrin:

5. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

I always figured The Stones found the inspiration for "Sweet Virginia" in "Richmond".

Surferghost likes this.
  6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks,I've been waiting a long time to use this....:laughup:

7. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Agreed. Picked this up when it was first released - the BBC sessions are great.

8. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Obviously The Stones are more well known and have better music, not to mention they were a band for many years more than Faces. I love Faces though. No need to compare them IMO.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

they may have suffered because of Rods parallel solo career. mainly in that his solo stuff imho often palls in comparison to the work he did with Faces ( even though they often backed him on the solo work ) yet to many the two were one and the same, so they get often kicked down a notch by default, if Rod had just made Faces records they may be regarded more highly, and he might too.

10. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

But then we wouldn't have had "Do ya think i'm sexy"!! It is interesting to think about after hearing him and Jeff Beck do "People Get Ready".

11. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Just listened to Long Player for the first time in a long time, and I really think it might be their best. Nod usually gets the nod for my favorite, but LP has everything they do best: Rock, blues, acoustic, live, plenty of Ronnie Lane, some of their best songwriting...just a really fun, totally unpretentious slice of music. So good!

Julie57, Surferghost, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

With all respect, I totally disagree. I arrived quite late to the Faces party and cannot believe how fantastic the music is. 4 amazing albums.

JoeF. and Rufus rag like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Everyone is a poor man's someone or other lol
    I'm a poor man, so i guess they're all mine :)

Dudley Morris and JoeF. like this.
  14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Underrated for sure.Their music has aged well unlike other bands from the same era.

The MEZ, Surferghost, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Really? I think the problem with Rod's parallel solo career was more that he saved a lot of his best songs for his own albums. I mean, I love the Faces but they don't have any albums as good as Every Picture Tells a Story.

The Beave, uzn007, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes. Quality control took a back seat to quantity at times and Rod saved his best songs for his own albums, but remember, Every Picture Tells a Story and two Faces albums all came out in 1971. It's tough to keep up that level of quality when you put out three albums in one year.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like A Nod Is As Good As A Wink better.

The MEZ, Surferghost and cporcp like this.
  18. I really love “never a dull moment”, love “every picture tells a story”, and I think “ooh la la” comes close to being in the same realm. If anything the pacing of “never a dull moment” is better and the length (really short) of “ooh la la” helps each out.

The MEZ, Rufus rag and GentleSenator like this.
  19. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I first picked up "Nod's" and "Long Player" back in the mid 90's and it took me a bit to really dig on 'em as I've never been the biggest fan of Rod Stewart. Since then, I've liked both Rod's early solo career up to "Smiler", but most importantly, his time with the Faces. They were a great band and it's too bad that Ronnie Lane bolted when they were really hitting it in the live gigs and what-not. Despite their small discography, the "5 Guys" box really is an excellent, in depth overview of their material. I wish there was an official documentary on them with some vintage performances included, THAT would be something cool to own. I do have "The Passing Show: Life and Times of Ronnie Lane" and it's a great DVD on his life; it'd be equally great if the Faces had the same treatment done too.

They're sort of like a "Jr. Stones" to me; some underrated classics like "Three Button Hand Me Down", "Glad and Sorry", "Debris", "Sweet Lady Mary" and "My Fault" are but a few to reference their merits in writing and performance areas, but I loved their loose, unfettered swagger and heartfelt, emotional soul displayed within their musical make-up.

20. I think they could do the Stones better than The Stones at times.

Surferghost and uzn007 like this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Great band..great live band.
    I think I saw just about every tour stop in Toronto.

The MEZ likes this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

rod may have hoarded the "best" songs for his solo albums, but faces were more sloppy, fun, and rock n roll. that's their charm. and they managed to capture it on the albums too. at least until ooh la la came out. so like @Ryan_Pretzel mentioned: it's kinda like the 3rd amazing rod album.

Ryan_Pretzel, The Beave and bhazen like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm really, really, really sorry I never saw them live. Of all the classic UK bands of that period, they had the most heart. (My opinion, obviously.) Maybe the last major band who (at least seemingly) were untouched by any blatant careerism. Have we seen their like since? (Maybe the Replacements? I never 'got' them, though.)

Julie57, The MEZ, Surferghost and 3 others like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Interesting thought on the Replacements. Not wrong, methinks.

bhazen likes this.
  25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Without reading the previous 7 pages................

I like the Faces, but prefer the Small Faces. The Small Faces are part of my top 3 favorite 60s British bands along with the Beatles and Kinks. I prefer them to the Faces, Humble Pie, or anything else they evolved into.

Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood.............it took 2 people to replace Steve Marriott.

The MEZ, Surferghost, bhazen and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.