Fairport Convention: The Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Although the album is likely one of the lesser played ones for me, the track John Lee I love! There's a live version on one of the plethora of live albums IIRC. Maybe even be the one where RT is pulled up on his pronunciation of Sloth! :D

Chemically altered, carlwm and Kiss73 like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Dave Swarbrick did an amazing version of the Cell Song on the '73 tour with Dave Mattacks on electric piano. Simply stunning. There is a version on The Airing Cupboard Tapes (and I think also on the 10 Year box set but would have to recheck)

Also....the current Fairport lineup did a live album covering this album, and really do it justice. Chris Leslie* is a phenomenal talent in my opinion, and covers Swarb superbly.

(If you are remotely interested in Fairport, make sure you pick up copies of Chris's Origins and Turquoise Tales albums - beautiful albums!!)

3. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

1. Full House
    2. What We Did On Our Holidays
    3. Leige N Leaf
    4. Unhalfbricking

Chemically altered likes this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

To me, Suzanne is the highlight of the album, with Percy's Song a close second. Much better than the studio version, imho.

carlwm likes this.
  5. Chemically altered

Oh my, no, discuss whatever you like. As long as it's about Fairport and company. ;)

[​IMG]
    You might like this version of Babbacombe Lee recorded live in 2011. It's a big step up from the studio album with Chris Lesley doing Swarbrick's vocals much better than Dave did. And the album doesn't feel quite as "forced", for lack of a better description.

Dignan2000, DiBosco and carlwm like this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers! :righton:

I didn't bother with Babbacombe live because of my struggle to get my head around the original. Sounds like I need to give it a listen! :righton:

7. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Fairport Convention - 5 Classic Albums, CD box. A bargain for about £10 if you dont have them.

Man at C&A and carlwm like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

:wtf::faint:

And I was beginning to like you too!!!;)

As you can probably guess, I am a little bias. I love Swarbs vocal style, but can also get why others may not, and Chris does do a fab job. The live version is definitely more "palatable", and a credit to the current line up.

9. Chemically altered

Oh, so do I but Lesley eclipses him on this particular outing. Oddly enough, I cringe whenever Lesley sings "Rosie" or "Now Be Thankful" in concert. Go figure.

anth67 likes this.
  10. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I've not listened to Shuffle And Go yet. To tell you the truth I didn't know it had been released. I'll try to give it a listen tonight.

carlwm likes this.
  11. Chemically altered

[​IMG]
    What We Did On Our Holiday. (1968).

Sandy is in, Judy is out. And the group aims at British folk with "She Moved Through The Fair" and "Nottamun Town" and Sandy offers "Fotheringay" while Richard offers his first classic song "Meet On The Ledge."

Sandy Denny-vocals.
    Ian Matthews-vocals.
    Richard Thompson-guitar, vocals.
    Simon Nicol-guitar.
    Martin Lamble-drums.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Big fan of Swarb's voice too. Noticed the other day that his duo records with Simon Nicol are available on CD (and have been for years apparently!). Haven't heard those for a very long time. On the way now though!

Just ordered Babbacombe Live too!Should arrive in a week or so.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

If you like the current line-up, you'll find much to enjoy, hopefully.

14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The Swarb and Nicol albums are a lot of fun. The live recordings can be a tad ropy in places but nothing that will ruin your enjoyment. If you can get a copy of Close To The White Bear (Contains Close To The Wind & Live At The White Bear) - it's a gem.

It is a good album. Not convinced that some of the songs written by others are a strong as other recent releases, but I have been playing it a lot since it dropped in January. Those last few albums starting with Festival Bell have been astonishingly good.

Chemically altered and carlwm like this.
  15. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Ok thanks.

16. Chemically altered

I just ordered a copy of "In The Club". Don't know how it will sound but it only cost me $2.

carlwm and Kiss73 like this.
  17. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

1. Liege & Lief
    2. What We Did On Our Holidays
    3. Unhalfbricking
    4. Rising For The Moon
    5. Full House

My five favorites in order of preference. Not too familiar with the later albums except for the selections that appear on "The Classic Years 1967 - 1975." Trevor is okay as a vocalist though I prefer Richard. As for the rest of the guys, not so much ( superlative instrumentalists though they may be.)

Chemically altered likes this.
  18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This was my introduction to Fairport, and as much as I enjoy the debut album, this is where they start proper for me....I think I made it to I'll keep It With Mine and I was sold.

Fotheringay was perfect start to make it known that the West Coast influence was behind them - and we were entering a more British movement - and yet behind the very traditional lyrics (although written by Sandy) and Sandy's beautiful vocals is a choral background that was both "traditional" and yet very much in keeping with 60's hippiedom.

A song still sung by Simon to this day, and of course the name of Sandy's future band.

19. Chemically altered

I always thought that the song "Fotheringay" had a distinct gothic vibe. Very atmospheric and wonderfully melancholy.

carlwm likes this.
  20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I thought you were a West Coast Kid!

Yep, things are slowing in lower New England.
    It's gonna be weird for a while. Stay well.

21. Chemically altered

It's gonna be weird all over my friend.

TheDailyBuzzherd and uzn007 like this.
  22. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

If I remember correctly my first Fairport purchase was Rosie. Suggested by an older friend who had the album. I borrowed it, liked it and then bought it.

carlwm likes this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Heyday

A marvel of that early Fairport sound. Suzanne is rightly lauded but so many of these are my favourite versions of the respective songs.

I'm glad the band eventually took the direction they did but I wouldn't want to be without these early treasures.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    uzn007 and Chemically altered like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

What We Did On Our Holidays

Fotheringay is a real statement of intent. The band is saying in no uncertain terms "We are different now. Our direction is changing!" However, that statement is then diluted somewhat by the next two tracks, Mr Lacey and Book Song harking back to the "old" sound. This seems to happen throughout the record. The new jostling for space with the old. As such, I suppose, it's the archetypal transitional record. But, ultimately, given how strong the performances are on both sides of the divide, it doesn't matter. A fabulous listen.

25. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

A quick step back - I came across a new copy of the first Fairport LP in a rack of albums in a magazine and tobacco shop in Northern England around 1972. It was already scarce by then. I was a fan of the Sandy Denny version of the band, and while I was initially a bit non-pussed by the material and Judy Dyble's voice on that first LP, I grew to love it. I sold it about twenty years later to a dealer at a record fair in Camden for about £15, but always regretted it. I was so relieved when the CD came out a few years later. I play it all the time, and that one, the Heyday compilation and Liege and Leaf are my favourite albums by the band. I have about a dozen others, but I have to really be in the mood to put them on.
    Then about ten years ago, I was at a folk music festival in Oxford City Centre - a typically serious affair, where you could buy tea and cake from some volunteer ladies at the back of the hall in between acts. I got my tea and cake, and as I handed the money over to the bespectabled lady behind the counter, I recognised her at once. It was Judy Dyble. I spent most of the rest of the day chatting to her, about all kinds of stuff, Fairport, Trader Horne, and so much else. She was charming and lovely. I heard she is sick at the moment, but hopefully she'll be back on form soon. Her recent albums are pretty good.