Fairport Convention: The Album by Album Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

I got onto Google UK maps several years ago, went into street view mode, and found the house where this cover picture was taken. Church in the background and all, pretty kool !!! I think the wall upper grating has been changed though...

Bowland and carlwm like this.
  2. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Wasn't it Sandy's parent's house? That's them I believe standing at the gate. The band is in the background, inside near the tree. Btw, the original US version had a completely different lp sleeve featuring elephants and circus performers.

carlwm, Alan2 and DiBosco like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

But Richard did... lots and lots more. Which is why when “Oozes with talent” threads get started, Richard is front of mind.

Fastnbulbous, carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Yep, Sandy's parents' house. The band is frolicking in the back/side yard there. Found an article with the exact address, 9B Arthur Road Wimbledon:

London Calling: FAIRPORT CONVENTION, UNHALFBRICKING (The album cover)

willy, carlwm, Alan2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

DISQUALIFIED!!! :wantsome:

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

SOLD!

PJayBe and carlwm like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Goodness yes. Coming after Fotheringay it's the ultimate mood killer!

carlwm and uzn007 like this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

For me it's because I can't stand concept album (unless it's Pink Floyd). But on the other hand my friend adores BL, so it has its fans for sure.

carlwm and Alan2 like this.
  9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Wait. WHAT?! What am I missing here?

EDIT: Oh nevermind. I thought this was a different set I hadn't heard of. Luckily I have a mint set on the way. :sweating:

10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

The songs you mention are all phenomenal.

However for me this is one of the weaker overall Fairport albums, because you have the aforementioned songs at one end and then you have 3 Dylan covers (2 of which I can live without) and Thompson's terrible Cajun Woman. Dear Landlord and The Ballad Of Easy Rider suggests there was no other original songs of quality either.

carlwm, uzn007, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  11. fried

fried Forum Resident

Love the album and especially love the cover

carlwm likes this.
  12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Agreed. But I always let it fly because that was like, what, the second of three albums released in a single year by kids in their early twenties? (Nice cover too).

But as a Matthews fan, it kind of leaves me in a bad mood sometimes. But no bother. He was welcomed and blossomed here in the US.

carlwm likes this.
  13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I was a fan of Dylan first, then Fairport. I think because of this I have an aversion to covers of Dylan songs....not just by Fairport, but by almost anyone. There are of course exceptions. Fairports I'll Keep It With Mine is far superior to Dylan's.

I'm curious on folks thoughts on these Dylan cover songs (of which there was a whole album recently released -tracklist below)

Si Tu Dois Partir
    Jack O' Diamonds
    Lay Down Your Weary Tune
    Dear Landlord
    Open The Door Richard
    I'll Keep It With Mine
    Percy's Song
    The Ballad Of Easy Rider
    It Ain't Me Babe - Sandy Denny
    George Jackson
    Tomorrow Is A Long Time - Sandy Denny
    Days Of 49
    Down In The Flood
    All Along The Watchtower
    Too Much Of Nothing - Fotheringay
    16 Million Dollar Bash
    Knocking On Heaven's Door

carlwm and bzfgt like this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Arlo Guthrie's version is my go-to for this track.

oxegen likes this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I feel this way about The Beatles. But completely the opposite about Dylan. I feel like Dylan's song usually lend themselves to interpretation (unlike Beatle songs) and usually bested in terms of vocals/production/arrangement. But this isn't disparaging him or his versions (many of which are my go-tos) at all. His versions are grand and, in what I consider the greatest compliment any songwriter could get, I always know when it's a Dylan song, even if I heard someone else's version first.

EDIT: I do prefer Fotheringay and FC's covers of Too Much of Nothing (especially the live DVD version) and The Ballad of Easy Rider.

16. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

I listened to Unhalfbricking last night and was reminded why it's one I rarely listen to. To me there's very little that stands out as great Fairport other than Who Knows. Sailor's life is a bit long an rambly for me and even RT's songs aren't his best (for my taste).

I'm not a fan of Dylan at all, although it's amazing how often I hear a song, quite like and am amazed to find that it's a cover of one of his songs. However, in this case though: meh. (I'm probably about to get excommunicated for admitting Dylan does nothing for me!)

carlwm likes this.
  17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I LOVE Joan Baez doing this song whilst sitting on the floor on the Don't Look Back film. Not sure why she never recorded it.

AlmanacZinger and Alan2 like this.
  18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

You're not alone. I can only really tolerate Dylan songs when they're done by other people. I've been enjoying the CD compilation of Fairport doing Dylan songs. There are no Dylan albums in my collection.

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

All taken from The Tree With Roots compilation. ;) I not a fan of Dylan's voice but his songs are great and no one does them better than Fairport. My favs are Open The Door Richard, I'll Keep It With Mine, Percy's Song, George Jackson (Lucas in phenomenal on that one), Days Of 49, and Knocking On Heaven's Door which was an off the cuff live performance as only Sandy was familiar with the song.

carlwm likes this.
  20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Yes, it’s a large building divided into several flats. Sandy’s parents had one.

21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Legit question: "flats" are what you guys call apartments, correct?

Bowland likes this.
  22. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Correct!

Alan2 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Have you seen the doc where she and Earl Scruggs do Love Is Just A Four Letter Word together? It was recorded but but the sound quality isn't great. Def my preferred version though.

NumberEight likes this.
  24. Nick Dunning

I managed to stick my head round the gate of the house in April 2012. It was a pure fluke that that access was open at all, there are big wooden gates there, locked most of the time, which is why a lot of people have looked for the location and never found it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That same month in I also managed to visit another iconic location, in Manchester.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Barolojoe, willy, oxegen and 4 others like this.
  25. Nick Dunning

The superb cover of 'The Ballad Of Easy Rider' dates from the 'Leige And Lief' recording sessions in October 1969.
    Dave Mattacks is clearly the drummer. Again, it's wondrous.

The performed it live on the short tour in late 1969 as well. They didn't completely drop the Dylan stuff after the crash.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020