Famous Girls That Inspired Famous Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thunderman, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

About Axl's then girlfriend Erin Everly, who is the daughter of Don Everly of The Everly Brothers fame.

Sean likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Only well known because of Harrison and Clapton, so no she's not.

Thunderman likes this.
  3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Who she ?

sekaer likes this.
  4. musiclistsareus

musiclistsareus Well-Known Member

She was one of the "leading international" models of the '60s, according to Wikipedia. Also she was an actress in "Hard Day's Night".

longdist01, radiomd2000, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

So, a girl with a famous father and a famous boyfriend, but not famous herself?

Thunderman and ARK like this.
  6. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, too? Maybe. He says not.

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

5 pages and this one hasn't turned up yet?!

Heloísa Pinheiro - Wikipedia

OK, she became famous after the song, but this one must be patient zero for "famous girl songs"!

Yost, PineBark and Mickey2 like this.
  8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Leon Russell wrote 'Delta Lady' for Rita Coolidge (who wasn't yet famous though, which probably disqualifies this post).

Mike McMann likes this.
  9. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

Kim Gordon's tribute to Karen Carpenter.

longdist01 and mr.datsun like this.
  10. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

So, in your world, Patti Harrison (well-known for being George Harrison's wife and the inspiration for both Layla and Something) is NOT famous, and Clare Grogan IS?? Interesting....

11. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Uhh, yes.

I guarantee you that more people are aware of the lead singer of a band that had a few hits (one being the ever present "Happy Birthday") than are aware of George Harrison's wife.

I have to be completely honest with you. I am a HUGE Beatle fan. Know every note from ever song. Know (and go out and buy) the guitars and amps they used. Know their films back to front. Yet, I could not pick George Harrison's wife out of a lineup. We all know Yoko for obvious reasons, we all know Linda because of Wings. Ringo's Mo? Have no idea who she is. (I do know Ringo's second wife because of her being a 007 girl). But George's wife? Patti? Yeah, I know "Layla" was about her but that does not make her famous, recognizable, well known. The lead singer from Altered Images was known before the song about her came out. Patti Harrison? I actually thought George's wife's name was Olivia.

You are completely wrong if you think Patti Harrison is more famous than the (exceptionally hot) lead singer for a successful '80s pop band.

DiBosco likes this.
  12. daveidmarx

"Successful"?? No charting singles. No charting albums. I'm a HUGE music fan and I'd might have heard of them (that's heard OF them - I couldn't name one of their songs at gunpoint) once or twice. For sure I've never heard of ol' Clare-what's-her-name either. Patti was not only married to a Beatle, but she was the well-known inspiration for two timeless classics, not to mention the center of a rather famous (in rock circles) love-triangle. So yeah, I'd say she's more recognizable.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    radiomd2000 and Dugan like this.
  13. Thunderman

Are you aware that this thread is about "famous girls that inspired famous songs," not "famous songs that gave a girl some fame"?

Patti Harrison's claim to fame is she is the girl that "Layla" is about. She was not in anyway famous before the song that made her famous. She had no fame at all (if you believe being married to someone gives a lady value then you'd better talk to someone about that rather sexist view). No fame at all until "Layla." Please, tell me exactly what Patti Harrison was famous for before "Layla"? Was she an astronaut? A singer in a pop band? Did she find a cure for a disease? I really would love to hear what exactly made her famous.

Fact is, she wasn't. Some hardcore Beatle fans knew she was married to one of The Beatles, that's it. (Do you really think people across the world really were dying to know the name of the lead guitarist's wife? When we bought "Abbey Road" what was on our minds was "Who is the lead guitarist married to?" You really believe that?) She was known by a handful of Beatle die-hards, that's it. "Layla" gave her some modicum of familiarity, but once again, this thread is about famous women who inspired songs...not songs that made a girl famous.

14. Thunderman

Not only was Clare Grogan a famous pop singer, uhh, she was also a very successful actress who appeared in one of the greatest films ever made. Martin Scorsese himself said that, argue with him. The film is an incredibly popular Scottish film called GREGORY'S GIRL.

To sum up: You never heard of her popular band Altered Images, you never heard of her insanely popular song "Happy Birthday," and you never heard of her extremely popular and great film GREGORY'S GIRL. I really don't think one such as you so limited in exposure to music and film should be judging someone's popularity.

[​IMG]

And if you don't believe she was famous, ask anybody alive back in the '80s who was their dream crush. It was the cutie pie in the band Altered Images.

[​IMG]

DiBosco and thematinggame like this.
  15. daveidmarx

Dude, you can big up your group all you want. Fact is, here in the US they are nobodies. I've never heard of the movie you mentioned. I've never heard of Clare either. Patti Boyd was an actress (she's in A Hard Day's Night) and model and had some degree of fame before hooking up with GH. And as for claiming it to be sexist if someone is famous for marring a famous musician, isn't that exactly how you described both Yoko and Linda? Whatevs. I'm pretty much done with this conversation. If you want to insist that Altered Images is a popular band, then have fun. I checked out the "insanely popular" song on YouTube yesterday. Guess what??? I've never heard of it, and I was pretty much glued to MTV as a kid from 1981-85 and was exposed to a lot of UK-based acts that had limited success over here. Maybe they were popular in Europe, but not hardly so over here. And again, I sure as heck never heard of Clare. Sorry if this upsets you.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Exactly. You beat me to it. Not sure if true, but I recently heard/read that this is the second most covered song after The Beatles' Yesterday.

The Girl from Ipanema - Wikipedia

longdist01 likes this.
  17. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Pink Floyd - Vera

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Prudence is also known in regard to Robert Durst. Farrow, who was married, was involved in a long term affair with married real estate fortune heir and wife beater Durst when Durst's wife, Kathleen McCormack, disappeared. Although McCormack's corpse was never found Durst was and is not just the prime suspect in her murder but the only suspect.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The song is entitled after Peggy Sue Garrow the girlfriend (and later wife) of Crickets drummer Jerry Allison. Although the song may have originally been written for Holly's niece.

Mike McMann and John B Good like this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

As far as I know, Patti Boyd was one of the leading models of the mid 1960's before she met George Harrison. Therefore, she meets your narrow criteria for this thread.

hodgo likes this.
  21. Thunderman

Uhh, that's Patti Boyd, not Patti Harrison.
    Patti Boyd may have been a famous model (and I doubt that), but Patti Harrison was simply famous for the girl "Layla" was about. Once again this is not a thread about girls who were made famous by a song. It's a thread about famous girls that inspired songs.

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

She was Pattie Boyd until she married George Harrison, and was a very famous model but, uh... rage on, I guess?

longdist01, Yost, mastaflatch and 5 others like this.
  23. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

"Ask anybody alive in the 80's" Why do you always make such ridiculously exaggerated statements? I was alive in the 80's and watched plenty of stupid MTV and I have never heard of the woman either. You do realize that sometimes your opinions are all yours, and you might be a little off with your facts?

Yost likes this.
  24. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Mickey Avalon's song entitled "Jane Fonda" must qualify here as well.

25. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Geez, dude, you seem awfully testy about what’s supposed to be a bit of fun. You need to relax, calm down and quit making anybody who doesn’t agree with you feel like an idiot. We’re not talking about world peace here FFS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.