Famous Girls That Inspired Famous Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thunderman, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Look, if you never heard of a very famous song ("Happy Birthday") and a very famous film (GREGORY'S GIRL) and the young lady involved in both, then the issue lies with you, not in my opinions.

Example: there are people right now who never heard of John Lennon, or Pele, or Jimmy Cagney, or Winston Churchill. Now is it my problem for knowing who they are, or is the problem with the people who do not know who they are?

Not knowing Clare Grogan of the band Altered Images and her song "Happy Birthday" and her film GREGORY'S GIRL suggests a person who was not very aware of popular culture.

2. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

That's right. World peace is over on the Beatles threads. :laugh:

PineBark and Maltman like this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Patti Boyd began her modelling career in the early 60's (1962? I read her autobiography, but forget almost all of the details) and along with other models like her sister Jenny, Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton were well known in England (especially in London) and would be considered celebrities. Patti Boyd was well known independent of George Harrison and considered one of the top models of her day, although her relationship and subsequent marriage to Harrison only helped magnify that celebrity. Her fame in hindsight is certainly inseparable to her relationships with Harrison and Eric Clapton. She has been acknowledged as the muse for 'Something' (1968/9) (and was also the probable inspiration for other lesser Harrison songs), but was well known prior to that.

I have to confess I don't understand the big fuss including her in this thread.

4. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Papa John wrote "Go Where You Wanna Go" about Michelle's cheating. Her words not mine.

5. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Because Thunderman says so, thats why!!:realmad::realmad::realmad:

6. Cool hand luke

YEAH! COMPLETELY WRONG!!

7. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Paul McCartney wrote Michelle for Michelle Obama.

stratmel, Yost, scousette and 6 others like this.
  8. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Good one. I might have put some kind of emoji after that just so nobody thought I was actually a complete dickwit. :winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Cool hand luke

In this thread? Does it really matter ?

willy, Maltman and fRa like this.
  10. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Haha, good point.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Thanks. I was about to make the Clare Grogan / Winston Churchill equivalency argument, but you beat me to it. :laugh:

Cool hand luke and Thunderman like this.
  12. Patti Harrison

13. Cool hand luke

Do you read your own threads? So far several people have cited Patti Boyd/Harrison's popularity BEFORE George and "Layla". And several people have asked "who the f is this Clare Grogan and her songs and film." All this suggests that maybe you're the one who isnt very aware of popular culture...
    Now are you going to address these facts, or just skate around things like usual, and continue to pretend that you know everything and the rest of us are all fools?

Synthfreek likes this.
  14. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

And "Barack In The USSR" for her husband (who is not a famous girl it must be said).

15. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of course I do. My threads provide knowledge, entertainment, and fun for all. That's why I write them.

16. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I was aware of both Altered Images (from the early days of Mtv) and Gregory's Girl, but even then I wouldn't say that Clare Grogan was anything of a household name outside of the UK or in (limited) music circles of the time. So, even at her peak, I wouldn't say she was anywhere near on the same level of celebrity as was Patti Boyd in the 60's.

Additionally, what people who weren't around at the time don't remember, was that during the height of Beatlemania, anything or anyone tangentially associated with The Beatles was famous worldwide, wives included. Therefore, even if it weren't for her notoriety as a model, Patti Boyd was a household name simply due to the fact that she was married to a Beatle.

croquetlawns and Cool hand luke like this.
  17. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Famous Girls That Inspired Famous Songs

Cleaners From Venus - Clara Bow

One of my favorite songs of all time. A splendorous tribute to the beautiful 'It' girl Clara Bow, my favorite silent film star.

zphage, Regandron and thematinggame like this.
  18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

The Wind Cries Mary-Hendrix About an argument with Kathy Ectingham

Dolly Dagger-Hendrix Written about Devon Wilson

19. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

The title of "Ophelia" by The Band was inspired by Minnie Pearl's middle name.
    "Lady Madonna"? :)

20. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

So... who didn’t Joni date?

21. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Just another Europe vs U.S. argument , it seems when it comes to the 8O's the divide is particularly wide ( I , for one , don't know any song by Def Leppard or hardly anthing by Cheap Trick) -Altered Images/Clare Grogan were quite popular over here , and although I'm not a big friend of the Happy birthday song , I'd strongly recommend their album Bite
    (and the film Gregory's Girl is brilliant,too)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  22. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

According to her discogs entry British artist Emily Young (she designed the covers for the Penguin Café Orchestra amongst other things) was the inspiration for Pink Floyd's song See Emily play

Emily Young
    Emily Young Sculpture

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  23. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

I like the song.. but any idea why they pronounced her name wrongly throughout ? How famous do you have to be so they get your name right???

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Her too. :)

25. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Endless and boring... he just described 90% of the threads on SH Forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.