Famous songs with singer off key

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ron/asheton, Jan 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

An early instance -- the line "I don't want to bore you, with my troubles . . ." the bass vocal is off so much, it'll make you cringe (or at least a music education friend did when he first heard it). I think you can find plenty of off-key instances in the old doo wop/street corner harmony groups of the '50s.

The Clovers - One Mint Julep (1952)

2. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a good tune!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Haven't heard it in a while but I seem to remember "What I Am" by Edie Brickell had a pitchy vocal (fitting the hippie vibe of the song).

Bowland likes this.
  5. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I've found these videos on YouTube very interesting. This guy uses software called Vocal Pitch Monitor that measures how close a vocal is to hitting the notes. He goes into quite a bit of detail, across a number of videos, as to how singers approach hitting notes properly (e.g. the use of vibrato, etc.).

urasam2 likes this.
  6. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

But this is deliberate for comedic effect - Jo Stafford must have worked hard to be this bad

7. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

A lot of these examples are successful songs that lots of people love and you’d have to be a vocal coach to even notice or care. What are some examples where the song is flat out derailed by the off key singing? Someone put I Touch Myself. lol, that was a number one single. More singers SHOULD be off key if that’s any example.

I’ve had friends literally yank the needle off the record when I’ve played them Mellow My Mind or Speakin Out by Neil Young. What are some examples like that?

supernaut, DTK and Ryan Lux like this.
  8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

This may not be bang on but the flat five in the melody over and over again makes it seem.much much worse.

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

When Adele goes into “peel paint” mode, I find her painfully (as in fingernails on chalkboard) pitchy sharp. Early Steve Winwood/Traffic, Jack Bruce and anyone in Chicago not named Pete Cetera would never be allowed in front of a mic these days. Tanita Tikiram has a delightfully out-of-pitch delivery, but I quite like it.

gregorya likes this.
  10. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

well, the video clip is a hoot.

11. Parakeeper

Parakeeper Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin's "All of My Love" always sounded terribly sung to me.

Rooster_Ties and rcsrich like this.
  12. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Surprised no one have mentioned Nico yet! Most of the notes she sang were off-pitch.

audiotom likes this.
  13. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Coney Island Baby

14. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Pleasant Valley Sunday by The Monkees. Micky's vocal line "I need a change of scenereeeee..." blemishes what otherwise might be a perfect pop recording.

15. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

vocal quality can be a very subjective thing. some people gave ethel merman a lot of stick for her crank it up to 11, trumpet voice. my mom used to say that she felt embarrased when she heard her sing. Ouch! however, irving berlin, jules styne, stephen sondheim and especially cole porter loved when she sang their songs. that's because ethel may have been very loud and in your face, but you understood and remembered every single word that she sang.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  16. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Stones - Singer Not The Song. Who sings that awful high harmony on the last note - Mick or Keef?

Cynthia Tebbetts and Wil1972 like this.
  17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

No! That is not off key singing you are hearing - that's her unique art. No wonder John loved her

Bill Larson likes this.
  18. RosesFromYesterday

RosesFromYesterday Sitting on an angry chair

Pretty much everything recorded before 1997 is "off-key" by modern pop chart standards, since Autotune (used on almost every record since then) enables a level of perfect pitch even the best singer can't match. I wonder if, to kids who grow up on this stuff, all of the old records we like will sound off-key?

MungoMusic and erikdavid5000 like this.
  19. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I dig what you're screaming, tho I don't think it's terribly sung. There are a few spots in "Fool In The Rain" that make me cringe, but I still love the song (and Robert).

supernaut and Fullbug like this.
  20. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

I really like that song, the vocal might not be perfect but I wouldn't call it out of key.

I think there's a difference between vocals not being perfectly on pitch and being out of key.

supernaut and Ryan Lux like this.
  21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Which was the Monkees song with stupid jokes.

Hey can I have a glass of water.
    Why are you thirsty?
    No, just want to see if my neck leaks....

Maybe something like Gonna Buy Me a Dog?

One of my second cousins wrote lyrics for one of their songs so I had a promo copy of the second Monkees album when I was a kid.

22. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Frank Zappa: I come from nowhere

MungoMusic likes this.
  23. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

When the word "Madly" appears 15 seconds into this. :yikes: And the rest of it isn't exactly on point either.

Jan & Dean / Heart & Soul

Mylene likes this.
  24. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Yes, I believe it is.

25. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

That hurt when I first heard it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.