Famous unreleased albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drumj56, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumj56

drumj56 New Member Thread Starter

I've also heard (and seen it on a few download sites) of a supposedly "lost" Velvet Underground album - anyone have anymore info on that?

2. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Hoodoo - John Fogerty

Hoodoo, John Fogerty's third solo album, was recorded in 1976 but never released. After the John Fogerty solo album, Fogerty wasted no time in recording more material for a new album to be followed with a tour. In April, 1976, he released a new single, "You Got the Magic" backed with "Evil Thing," which barely made it to the charts and did not sell a great deal.

Fogerty submitted Hoodoo to Asylum Records, which assigned it a catalogue number. Shortly before shipment, however, Fogerty and Asylum's Joe Smith made a joint decision that the album didn't merit release. Thereafter, Fogerty began a nine-year estrangement from the music industry. He has confirmed in interviews that he instructed Asylum to destroy the master tapes, but bootleg copies are widespread.

Track listing
    All songs by J. C. Fogerty, except as noted

"You Got The Magic" - 3:43
    "Between The Lines" - 3:40
    "Leave My Woman Alone" (Ray Charles) - 3:09
    "Marchin' To Blarney" - 3:18
    "Hoodoo Man" - 2:55
    "Telephone" - 2:55
    "Evil Thing" - 3:40
    "Henrietta" (Fere-Hitzfeld) - 2:58
    "On The Run" - 3:32

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_(John_Fogerty_album)

arisinwind and pablo fanques like this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yeah, that's true, although I don't really have anything against "You Can't Hide Your Love Forever."

4. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

First Rays Of The New Rising Sun. The album released by Experience Hendrix wasn't the original artist's intent, IMHO.

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Sinatra-Jobim, the cancelled-at-the-last-minute followup to Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim (although most - all? - of its tracks later turned up on other releases):

[​IMG]

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

7. Michael66

Michael66 Well-Known Member

Kraftwerk - Techno Pop
    Became Electric Café though some years later.

Tangerine Dream
    Oedipus Tyrannus

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I don't if it was ever released in parts or completely legally, but there was a different version of an entire Dylan album... "Blood on the Tracks" I think it is. Recorded in NY?

I only own the SACD of the official album.

Also, Honeybus' follow-up to their amazing "Story" LP... 1973's "Recital" - though promo copies were released. Most of the tracks have seen the light of day since then on various comps, but not all.

Harry Nillson's last album, "Papa's Got a Brown New Robe" also.

Jeff

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

As an example of how these can occasionally have happy endings, Paul Pena's New Train was recorded in 1973 and sat on the shelf until 2000.

The album was very much worth the wait; one of my all-time favorites, in fact:

[​IMG]

10. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Stones live '72 - overdubs were done, but Klein blocked the release because he owned the rights to some of the songs (?).

R.E.M. recorded a live album at Duke Univ. in '84 that never saw the light of day, also.

11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

David Bowie 2.Contamination
    David Bowie Earthling Live (later morphed into Live and Well)
    David Bowie Toy

12. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

TERRIBLE QUALITY boots are widespread...(They're all distrorted & I'm pretty sure it's an off-line source...)

13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Prince

Crystal Ball
    Roadhouse Garden
    and umpteen others . . .

14. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's out now.Try Ugly Things.....

15. Cope_Freeland

Cope_Freeland Forum Resident

George Clinton - The Black Vampire (early 1970s)
    Parliament - Upsouth (mid 1980s)

Also

Funkadelic - Throbbasonic Attack (1977). This became One Nation Under A Groove but it was recorded before Junie Morrison joined. Since it was recut and Junie is largely reponsible for the One Nation Album I'd assume that this is significantly different.

16. readr

readr Forum Resident

Paul McCartney - Hot Hits & Cold Cuts
    The Beatles - Sessions

17. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

"Silver Bell" by Patty Griffin... which *rocks*.
    [​IMG]

18. Daken

Daken Forum Resident

Nothing by The Who on those discs though.

alchemy likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Gene Clark sings for You" - a question of whether these were simply advanced demos, or an actual album. But I'd certainly like to hear 8 unreleased Gene Clark songs written at a time when he was at the height of his considerable powers.

Also, "Roadmaster" by Gene Clark, properly mixed - not the existing 'ruler mix'

The double Lp version of Van's "Hard Nose the Highway"

Patty Griffin's "Silver Bell"

Big Star Third/Sisters Lovers - Alex Chilton's version (that is, if he had a clea concept what he intended. Otherwise, we'll have to abide by Jim Dickinson's version. Which I can more than live with)

Also, kudos to pointing out the Sinatra-Jobim album. One of the great artistic accomplishments of the last century begs to be released with all the tracks together, thoughtfully sequenced.

Any more interesting Beach Boys tracks in the vaults or have the barrel bottoms been scraped? I kept thinking there was no more until I heard 'Soulful Old Man Sunshine'.

20. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

According to rock historian Glenn Baker, around 1971 Michael Nesmith cut some songs with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band under producer Mac Gayden, as "The Aspen Falls Musical Preservation Society" that United Artists never released.
    Unfortunately, no one seems to know anything about it, and the songs couldn't be found in the vault.
    So, is it real, or one of many legends? Who knows
    Famous? Probably not, but I'll put it out there anyway.

21. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Maybe not so famous, but Juliana Hatfield's God's Foot will probably never see an official release. Too bad, as the booted mp3s I've heard are downright painful SQ-wise.

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Stevie Wonders Live album from 74. Never released but reported in the NME of the same as going to be.

23. I wouldn't say that it's famous, but it's my favorite unreleased album of all-time....The Tubes "Suffer For Sound" from 1980. The band completed the album and turned it in to A&M who apparently felt it wasn't worth releasing. A&M released the T.R.A.S.H. compilation instead which completed their commitment to The Tubes and dropped the band from the label.

The Tubes then signed with Capitol and released "The Completion Backward Principle" in 1981. I've had "Suffer For Sound" for years now from someone who actually worked for the band and it is an EXCELLENT album. It's probably a notch below it's preceeding album (Remote Control) and the album they made after (THCBP), but it is WELL worth hearing.

The state The Tubes catalog is in is a mess and I can't believe to this day that this excellent shelved album has never seen the light of day. The Tubes need a boxset!

Doug

24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Pink Floyd - second album with Syd.

The line between what songs were attempts at their next single and what songs were earmarked for the 2nd LP is blurred but they recorded nearly enough material after Piper with Syd very much involved for a second album. Unfortunately much of it is still unreleased.

25. I suspect there's plenty. They will be released one at a time on the next thousand Beach Boys compilation albums.

Sean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.