Fans of Jethro Tull's 80s Work...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pibroch, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

2. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member Thread Starter

Yeah. I could go both ways. I like the albums as recorded but just always wondered what they'd sound like with the drums.

3. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I think Under Wraps is their best album of the 80s - the songs are wonderful once you get past the production and sounds. It's a shame Lap of Luxury was the single as its the worst song on there. There's some of Andersons best vocals and best writing in there if you're prepared to dig for it. For me it's their last classic and they're best since Stormwatch (for me the final part of the late 70s trilogy of masterpieces).

Really like what you've done however - very interesting and shows what Ian could do were he minded to.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Yeah, if real drums were added it would be a welcome addition. I love the charm of the original albums, fake drums or not.

Fans of Jethro Tull's 80s Work...I like them in this order;
    1. The Broadsword & The Beast (Bonus tracks make this a great album)
    2. "A"
    3. Under Wraps (original LP tracks)
    4. Rock Island
    5. Crest Of A Knave

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Not a fan of Tull's 80s output for the most part. I did however like Crest of a Knave but don't have it in my collection. I have a song or two, maybe live ?...on disc 4 of the Tull boxset that came out in the early 90s.

6. My order is
    1. The Broadsword & The Beast (Bonus tracks make this a great album)
    2. "A"
    3. Crest of a knave
    4. Under Wraps (original LP tracks)
    5. Rock Island

Crest of a knave has Ian's final vocal hurrah on Mountain Men.

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Dude I just wanna give you some props. While I am personally with the majority Tull opinion that 80s Tull and Under Wraps are weak, your nerdly fandom, enthusiasm and effort are genuinely admirable and inspiring.

:edthumbs:

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Steel Monkey, Farm on the Freeway and Jump Start...

No Jethro Tull album from the 80's onward, can beat the opening 1,2,3 punch of Crest of a Knave.

9. Pibroch

Haha! Thanks! My buddy and myself were into this stuff in high school. He played me "Lap of Luxury" and I was aghast after being immersed in Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery.. but I soon really got into UW and A. And that's generally where I stop with Tull. I'm not sure why, but something changed (besides Ian's voice) after UW. For most Tull fans, their cutoff is probably between 1979 and 1986.

10. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I love Under Wraps. It's like a Thomas Dolby (Europa and the Pirate Twins!) version of Tull.

It is very much an oddity though. It doesn't seem to get played live; it is ignored by the creator.

But it is one of those records which my mind wanders to a lot, going over a few lyrics just for fun.

11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Bit hard to hear your drums too well with the fake ones going on in the background lol. Your drums stood out more on Under wraps 1 though

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Great work!
    Sounds a lot more seamless than the first attempt. :thumbsup:

I want to hear this album with real drums... Someone should send these files to Ian Anderson!

13. Pibroch

Thanks a bunch. I wish I could find the magic combination to remove at least the snare from the mix. I've tried a center-channel extractor, a few different EQ drops, and little things like that. Short of having the multitracks, I'd imagine it's not worth the effort.

And the rest of the album might be a little too complex for my skill level. I've got the album memorized but not down to the drum rhythm.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My ranking of 80s Tull is:

Broadsword
    Crest of a Knave
    A
    Rock Island
    Under Wraps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.