Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Just posted via their website:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

Further FAQ at the link above^^

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Somehow I was wondering about them. They seemed to be shrinking.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

If it were posted a day earlier, I would have understood :). But today - crazy!

gregorya, tmtomh and rbbert like this.
  4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Why shut down? Lack of sales? Lack of interest? Did a key partner leave the company? Inquiring minds would like to know.

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yeah. I looked at their website.

6. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

WOW...this is a shocker:confused:

7. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Oppo probably can't make good profit with their aggressive pricing. I thought the Sonica DAC is dirt cheap, relatively speaking, at the $799 price point. I was planning on getting the 205 for Xmas, because that is relatively cheap too, for an ESS pro DAC with balanced circuit, etc.

Mr. Explorer and PhilBiker like this.
  8. This is just nuts.

No one can touch these guys for service and support. I too would like to know the story behind the story.

j7n, Vinylsoul 1965, Jvalvano and 2 others like this.
  9. SamS

You should be still able to get a 205 for the near future. Probably not through Christmas though!

10. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I am hoping I can gather enough pennies in the next month or so -- the OPPO's are the primary SACD players at this price range, since Marantz appears to have given up on reasonably priced SACD players.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I sort of wonder if it was as simple as they weren't making waves outside of the blu ray player market, and its quite possible there won't be a next generation of blu ray player for them to make. Then there's the question of how well even the current 4K players are selling in when in the age of fiber I can watch a 4K HDR movie with an app built into my TV. Ultimately this might be the same as a boutique VCR maker closing down shop 20 years ago.

Rufus McDufus, Kyhl, scobb and 8 others like this.
  12. SamS

Just a recap of the "state of the industry":

I'm not aware of any 4K/UHD player (beside the OPPOs) that support SACD/DVD-A.
    No UHD players (besides the OPPOs) have analog outs - well there is a Sony, but the 2ch analog is just for multi-room support, not serious listening. EDIT: forgot about the Panasonic below.
    No SACD/DVD-A or UHD players currently available from Denon/Marantz.
    Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD player does support DSD, but not SACD disc.

Only LG, Sony, Panasonic and Xbox One currently support UHD disc playback - someone can correct me here if I missed one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. Bake

Bake Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a bummer! I just purchased a UDP203 a couple months ago and I love it! I'm still glad I made the purchase and it sounds like that will still provide update and support as needed which is cool.

ben_wood and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Looks about right to me.

It's almost like folks aren't into spinning discs these days or something.

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I guess I'd better get a 205 before they become scarce.

This is really awful news.

Bananas&blow, ggjjr, Kristofa and 6 others like this.
  16. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I recently purchased the UDP-203 as well. I've been using it as a Transport into a PS Audio DAC and spinning a few SACDs on its own. Impressive spinner for the cost!

Bake likes this.
  17. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

I have read the website, and looked at the facebook site, don't see any posts/info that say they are ramping down. Perhaps I have missed it, but its not on the site I see.

18. SamS

Forgot about Cambridge Audio CXUHD. No analog outs. Will be interesting to see how long this is supported, considering it’s based on the same MediaTek platform as the current OPPOs.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. SamS

I posted a link in the first post :confused:

Also see: OPPO Digital (@OPPODIGITAL) | Twitter

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Mr. Explorer and Spitfire like this.
  20. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

So sad. I have their BD player and love it. Need to grab the UHD player now while I still can.

21. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

It is disappointing to hear this news. I have a 105D and love it.

Scott

Bananas&blow, quicksrt and tmtomh like this.
  22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How long can they stick around for support once they stop selling anything?

Myke, dadonred and seed_drill like this.
  23. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have a 103 and use it for video only but I really like it. Farewell Oppo!

bru87tr likes this.
  24. A fair question. Their support has been the best in the business, but they can’t really provide support indefinetly with no income.

With HDR/DV still evolving, I would think long and hard before buying a new Oppo.

25. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I'm guessing streaming is killing them. I bet DVD/Bluray sales are suffering too. All the fire sticks, Apple TV, Comcast, google cast, etc...seem to be the future of video.