Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I doubt civilization will last that long, let alone physical audio-visual playback media.

2. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

And when high-speed (> 100mbit/sec) home Internet connectivity is available without monthly transfer limits to all Americans. I won't hold my breath.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Maybe you picked a bad example. The best version of the original Star Wars trilogy is only available via download. Search for: 4K77 and 4K83.

Streaming compliments physical media, not replaces. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Where can these be downloaded/streamed from? And let's face it, no matter how good they may or may not be, they are not official at all...... are they??
    I have assumed these will be released officially by Disney, as extras, in the super duper bumper ltd edition 4k box set (probably costing $4k) release 12 months after all this new batch of films have come out. Then available 12 months later for streaming.

Are there and will there be 3D versions be available for streaming in 5 years?

I think you do get my point, I've not suggested physical only I've just stated that physical is not dead and will take decades to die, not just because of people wanting physical copies but product that isn't available online.

5. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Streaming IS a CONTINUOUS MONTHLY BILL 4 INTERNET &SUBSCIPTIONS

**** THAT!

Soundslave and David P. Hill like this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have no interest in streaming or downloading music at all. Not interested in movies just music. What I like about physical media is I can be 100% sure of the version I'm buying. From what I've read that isn't always possible when streaming or buying downloads. I'm referring to a specific titles mastering and or mix.

The Beave and Chris C like this.
  7. SamS

C'mon man. We have a whole thread talking bout these particular titles. And I know your google ain't broke :)

Keep assuming, meanwhile life is short - and I've got amazing-looking streaming/downloads to watch.

Does Disney even know this??

The facts are simple: For every 4K UHD movie title released, there is an equivalent downloadable/streaming version made available. For every 4K digital title, there is not always a corresponding 4K physical release. The tides have turned...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Reese likes this.
  8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I did google! Is this meant to be clear and simple? Project 4K77 | The Star Wars Trilogy
    My point is that 3D films could well be only available on a physical format!
    You may well be right for 4k but the issue regarding physical format is so much more than 4k, 4k is so new how would/could it have legacy product? It's 3D, previous, superior, masterings of films and music, surround sound music and all the stuff not available for streaming that will keep physical formats going as a niche market.
    My point isn't that downloads aren't good, viable or here to stay! I'm stating that physical formats are not dead as you have stated here

9. SamS

Usenet is your friend

3D is deader than dead. Are there any TVs you can buy that can display 3D?

Physical is dead "enough" to make OPPO close up shop. And you would have to imagine they sold more >$200 players than any company in the last 15 years.

10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Streaming 4K is not the equivalent of a 50GB plus 4K disc. The compression on streaming is quite noticeable on a large screen. A small file is even worse.

11. SamS

No one has ever said that. How about those 4K titles that have no UHD disc or even Blu-ray equivalent? That's what is becoming more prevalent.

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Thank you for the link, I will see if I can get this to work for me!
    Yet there are many manufactures still making high end CD/SACD/record players so..... how can you be so sure the physical format is dead especially when so much unique product will not, necessarily, be available to stream. Yes, as I stated it will be niche, but it will still be here and be something that manufactures will cater for.

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

A streaming 4K title might look as good as a 1080p disc.

14. SamS

Typically much better than a 1080p disc.

Signed,
    someone with 150+ 4K streaming titles, 200+ UHD physical discs, and more Blu-rays than I can count.

Nesto719 likes this.
  15. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Well I am a film professor who owns thousands of titles. We can watch a movie together. I'll point out all the compression and digital noise on your streaming titles!

TheKevster and Guss2 like this.
  16. SamS

:cheers:

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I also have no interest in downloading music but I was in my wife's car the other day and the XM/Sirius station that she had on played two brand new songs that I really enjoyed and I wanted them. When I got home and looked them up I realized that neither album was going to be released on CD until January and February next year, so I downloaded both songs on iTunes. The first song was by an artist named Yola called "Ride Out In The Country", which sounded pretty good and the other by Michael Franti, called "Nobody Cries Alone", which my wife and I both said at the same time, sounds like sh#$! That second one had to be "Mastered For iTunes", as it was loud and distorted. DAMN downloads!!!

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. What movies did Apple delete? I’ve never, ever seen this happen. Are you sure this isn’t an unconfirmed rumor? Or are you thinking of the movies that Netflix removed from their service?

I have seen some app developers yank their apps from the iOS App Store, and then you are unable to redownload them if you removed them from your device. They do not automatically disappear from your device, though.

19. I KNEW the story was bogus. Thanks, Sam.

20. Oppo got out of the UHD market because they were expensive in a competitive player space. The market is simply too small for several different hardware manufacturers fighting for a piece in 2018. This business depends heavily on economies of scale and the entire market's volume can't support more than a couple of viable hardware manufacturers. It was still possible when the DVD and Blu-ray markets were larger. The large international electronics conglomerates see making a UHD player as an addendum to selling their 4K displays, which is why they don't feel a pressing need to make a profit making UHD players. Of course, Oppo isn't in the 4K display business.

Oppo tried differentiating themselves enough by appealing to the high-end audio crowd, but that gambit seems to have failed as a business proposition. The super high-end crowd these days are all into modular, replaceable DAC units for their systems fed by a server, so the 205 with a good DAC for a universal player didn't have quite the appeal for that crowd.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. mongo

mongo Senior Member

One last post for me here.
    I have no doubt that Oppo Digital showed a profit but that profit margin wasn't enough and\or wasn't growing enough for the powers that be.
    Obviously not real numbers but spending $30mil to make even half a million probably didn't pencil out for a large corporation.
    The R&D etc., could chow through a lot of money

22. Actually, from what I have been told, DAC sales are dismal.

23. They seem healthy on the lower end. Millennials are now starting to drive consumer purchases and we are finding out this generation has far different priorities than older consumers. It's possible expensive audiophile/videophile hardware just doesn't resonate with Millennial customers.

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Maybe because it's all "free" streaming an entire generation is growing up that sees no value in film or music so has no interest in how it sounds/looks?

Guss2 likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Oppo DACs or DACs in general?