Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I don't know how to post pictures here David, but ill see if I can send them to you in a pm.
    Thing is GORGEOUS though and I had it playing a CD of Brubeck all night long with no glitches so it's solid.

And I need to clarify my last post, this is not my second Silver 105, the other one is a black one.
    This is my second 105 and its silver.

For anyone who missed out on getting a 205, I can't see you going wrong with getting a 105.
    The 203 is heavier, 23 pounds vs 17 pounds for the 105, but they're so close physically that if I didn't have the 205 I would be just as happy with the 105.
    In fact I'm having a blast going from the 205 to a 95, which is now in the stereo rack, and then I'll put the 105 in tonight and play that for awhile.

But for under a grand, a used, clean 105 is a bargain imo.
    Beave

SteelyNJ likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that the 105/105D is an excellent alternative to the now ridiculously priced 205. Especially if one requires HDCD playback as that feature was removed on the 203/205. Doing a direct comparison to the 105D and 205 using analog RCAs I'd give the slight edge to the 205.

I prefer the look of the 205 to the 105D with the display centered over the disc tray. Also the function controls of the 205 are actual buttons opposed to pressure sensitive buttons on the 105D. Quite a few times I accidently hit the wrong button in low light on the 105D as there was no feel as far as location to the buttons.

3. The Beave

Yeah those touch sensitive buttons bother some people but I kinda dig them myself. Reminds me of the old Philips turntable with the touch controls.
    Speaking of HDCD, I found my HDCD version of Dave Brubecks Time Out CD and popped it in the 95 decoded.......
    Holy Mackerel, I've never heard this album sound better on any format, including SACD.
    Beave

4. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Well....MUCH THANKS to Oppo for continuing to upgrade the firmware for the 203/205! This exemplifies the reason we loved their equipment and why we love them! WooHoo!

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  5. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I have both a 203 and a 205 (for my audio and video systems respectively) that I got early in the summer. I have not yet set either of them up yet, mostly due to some home repair work going on. Both are still in their boxes! Therefore, I have never done any firmware upgrades.

If and when this upgrade becomes final, not beta, do I need to do any intermediate upgrade(s) prior to this new one, or can I jump straight to the new one?

Also, did previous upgrades cause any problems? Am I better off not upgrading? (I understand this newest one may be too new for anyone to know yet.)

Finally, if and when I connect these units to Wifi, will the units automatically require me to upgrade?

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suggest wait for the official release and then download over the network ( as this Beta version is Thumb Drive or CD only). I think the lack of these upgrades won't impact on many users. You can download a disc image file and burn it to CDR.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you connect to a network with internet enabled the player will prompt you to install the required upgrades.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. art3mis

art3mis Member

Wow! In shock. My BDP-93 seriously one of the best pieces of AV gear I have owned. I agree with one of the comments that it is probably online streaming that has hurt their business.
    So 2 questions
    1 Where do I go to get troubleshooting advice on my player? For some reason CDs or Blurays won't play, they get stuck on the launch screen
    F626F223-67E8-4A71-B979-77DA256AA93A.JPG

2 What is a recommended upgrade path for the BDP-93? ie a high end universal player that also plays SACD's as well as blurays

9. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

The player may simply have a dirty lens. A cleaning disc might fix it or you can open the case, remove the protective cover from the drive, and gently brush the lens with a cotton swab. It's worth a shot.

10. The Beave

I'd send it in to OPPO for servicing, for $100 they'll go through it and bring it back up to factory specs even if they have to replace the transport....such a deal.
    then you'll be good to go for another 10 years!
    no need to dump it at all!
    Beave

11. art3mis

art3mis Member

Thanks appreciate the feedback. Further testing shows I hang on the startup screen before even trying to play a disc! So can't get to the settings screen. Just wondering if there is some type of button press combination that would allow me to at least boot to the settings menu....

12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Apologies if this is an incredibly stupid question, but have you tried unplugging the Oppo and then plugging it back in after a minute (not just turning it off and on with the power button)?

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re the Oppo BDP 103 EU which plays all regions for blu-ray. I have downloaded all the updates but there is still a pause between track numbers when playing files via USB. It occurs on all types of files - flac, dsf, mp3 etc. So with the Beatles Abbey Road medley you get a slight pause between songs. For many albums does not matter a hoot but for live performances (I have loads of the official Springsteen live downloads) it is a bit annoying. I was going to upgrade to the 203/205 series but as stated here they are no longer in production. Any ideas or is this something that I will have to pout up with when using the 103 (an excellent player in my opinion).

14. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If you hit the Option button on the remote when starting playback from a USB drive the option for gapless playback should appear bottom right. Gapless playback of DSF files is not supported, however, but FLAC and ALAC play just fine.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Thank you very much. I shall give that a try.

16. Sevoflurane

The only DSD music I have is ripped from SACD. If you rip SACDs as a single DFF file with accompanying CUE file then the DFF file can be played on the Oppo with no gaps over USB. Probably easier just to spin the original SACD though!

17. Flaming Torch

My dsf files are often from needledrops - certainly easier to play an sacd rather than copy it!
    Some of the Bruce files are available in sacd quality.

Rolltide likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have not ripped any of my SACDs. I do not know how to do it. I have been given instructions on how to do it, which requires me to purchase a particular PlayStation and then follow a series of procedures; but, I have not indulged in this, since I can usually just rip the SACD's CD layer to iTunes which delivers great sound, indistinguishable from stereo SACD. Also, I have many multi-channel SACDs, which I do not know how to rip; and, even if I could rip them, I don't know what computer media player I would need to send them to for multi-channel enjoyment, either wired or wireless to my surround sound system. In fact, the few multi-channel downloads I do have cannot be played on or from my computer. I have had to copy them to a thumb drive to enjoy gaplessly from my OPPO in multi-channel. It's so much of a hassle; plus, the concern for possible loss of data, that I am now only buying multi-channel recordings which are on SACD. It's easy, it's great, and multi-channel SACD delivers depth and breadth not heard from the stereo layer, making it quite compelling.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  19. Sevoflurane

While it takes a little bit of setting up, ripping SACDs is possible with the Oppo 103/105 series. I have no experience of playing multichannel files from a computer as I just use my Oppo or Sony BD players, but other regular posters (Kal Rubinson springs to mind) have extensive experience of this and have posted and published a lot about it. My solution to possible loss of data is multiple backups!

Sterling1 likes this.
  20. Check out the new “Support” wallpaper on the Oppo homepage, with the UDP-205, Sonica DAC, and their remotes (disguised as buildings!). Drives the point home that Oppo consumers are not being abandoned and that customer support is now the mission of Oppo Digital.

ti-triodes, aroney, BGLeduc and 5 others like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's pretty cool :cool:!

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

chili555, soundboy, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  22. Are people stocking up on parts for their 205, for years down the road? I saw on another forum someone suggest picking up a spare laser assembly for the 205.

tmtomh and ben_wood like this.
  23. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Good idea, I suppose you can do the same for the 203?

24. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I was considering an extra backlit remote for $18. My 10 month old loves putting that thing in his mouth.

Mooserfan likes this.
  25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Are parts like the laser assembly available direct from Oppo?

ben_wood likes this.