Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Off the top of my head,Yamaha, Esoteric, Luxman and I think Marantz all have multiple models in this category (are these all now upgraded to universal player status?). Whether CD players are being manufactured is a moot point as you are eluding to the fact that everything is going download and discs are past it just isn't a good argument to suggest that a non universal player is now a "universal" player. I don't argue with the fact the disc is dying but a universal player is a PLAYER (and as such should play pretty much every disc) where as a DAC is a DAC and not a player.

At the risk of repeating myself.... again, the Panasonic is a high end Blu ray player and not a "universal" player because it doesn't play SACD and DVD-A and many people who bought an Oppo 205 bought it for SACD and DVD-A

Bill Mac and Guss2 like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes. It's hard for those of us welded to our collections of discs to face the fact but the manufacturers have moved their focus to products that don't spin discs. It was a wonderful time while it lasted, and I think I have enough transports to last most of the time I'll be able to still take this hobby/obsession as seriously as I do now.

The Beave and Bill Mac like this.
  3. I don’t think you completely understood my point. See here:

4. I’ve faced the fact that the quest for greater and greater digital audio reproduction is not going to be with the playback of physical discs. I mean, the bleeding edge of hi-fi is at DXD and DSD512 resolutions and beyond, which no physical disc supports. I’m OK with that. Even digital downloads are starting to go the way of the dodo, as streaming is the new and preferred distribution model. Quobuz offers lossless hi-res FLAC streaming and I think that is the future of audiophilia. I still prefer Roon playback from a NAS, though. And vinyl!

5. Lonson

And I've faced the fact that my disc playback sounds so so good at present that I don't need "better" playback and can't afford it anyway as I have invested all I can into my system and opportunities to have more money to spend on new equipment are slim to none. My PS Audio transport will pass DSD to the accompanying DAC which upsamples all information coming in to DSD 64; I'm incredibly happy with the sound it feeds my tubed components downstream.

Between all the digital discs I have, both audio and visual, and all the vinyl I have, I'm set and I'm turning on the flashlight in my twilight years and think I'll be fine in the years to come. I'm lucky to have an Oppo UDP-205 for my video needs. . . I got one at the right time.

6. Hey, I hear ya. However, price of entry for DXD and DSD128, 256, and 512 playback can be startlingly cheap. Free, even, in the case of some software. Rebuying all the content is another story.

Don’t get me started on video! 4k is already old tech! 5k video is available online for 5k computer display playback. 8k TV screens are starting to come out, although there is not really any content at that resolution except for some demo material.

7. Lonson

I suspect the prices aren't prohibitive, but I have so many thousands of discs I'm just not interested in pursuing the content, and I honestly love the sound I have. I can have a lot of fun exploring tube-rolling and power supply modification and don't need to explore DXD and DSD multiples. And I've not yet gone beyond Blu-ray and can really enjoy DVD still. One can always draw a line in the sand and stay put. I have.

8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So I'm joining to Oppo party...just bought a bdp-105 :D

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Probably also with bearing in mind wrt to the Panasonic/ Oppo issue: one is still in business, the other is effectively a support function.

Times do indeed move on, but if you want a Panasonic that does DSD without breaking the bank, then the BD84 is the way to go. By HDMI only admittedly, but then, it's only around £60!

10. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Not interested in "re buying" content
    Been thru lps cassettes cds now onto sacd dvda bluray.

That's it i stop here!

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I think after 76 months of daily use, my 103 just died.
    Doesn't recognize any of the discs I put into her.
    I had just finished a Blu ray, took it out, put in a CD, and that's when it began.
    Every disc is an unknown disc.
    Some research in the last 30 or so minutes, suggests I purchase a lens cleaner from Amazon ?
    Praying that's all I need...

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That sucks! Unfortunately I have no experience with Blu-ray player lens cleaners. I just did a quick search and ones with brushes have mixed reviews.

I'd try unplugging the 103 for a while then plug back in. If that doesn't work try doing a total system reset but make sure you make note of all of your settings. Is the latest firmware installed? I would also see what other Oppo owners have to say especially Sam. Maybe there are other Oppo owners that have had the same issue you're having. If all else fails try sending Oppo an email with details about what you are experiencing. Good luck!

tmtomh likes this.
  13. Myke

Thanks @Bill Mac ! @SamS - I remembered I have an old Maxell CD Lens Cleaner w/brushes, but it was treated the same as all the other styles of discs. Unknown.
    I shot some compressed air in there, by the tray, and got dust balls ??? Should I have been blowing air in there for the last 6+ years ???

14. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Typically a dirty lens will cause problems with BD and hybrid-SACD playback first while CDs will play fine.
    I'm not sure how well a CD lens cleaning disc will work if the player won't recognize the disc as you usually need to play a specific track to perform the cleaning.
    It's pretty easy to open the unit up and clean the lens. Once you have the case open, the lens can be accessed by removing the metal cover over the transport that is held on by (probably six) tiny screws. You can gently slide the laser sled to better access lens. A gentle brushing with a cotton swab should do the trick. Clean up any dust and debris on the sled's rails while you have the transport open.
    I just use this method to clean the lens on the Oppo-BDT-101 that's in my PS Audio DMP this evening as it had stopped recognizing Blu-Rays. All is good now.

Good luck!

PhantomStranger, Myke and pdxway like this.
  15. Myke

This gives me hope ! Will use these instructions to guide my son, whom I'm sure will enjoy doing this.

Reese likes this.
  16. Myke

Crap. Now it no longer tries to load, or say Unknown Disc, it just says No Disc. :sweating:

17. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Well contact oppo n pay to fix it???

18. Reese

Leave it alone and either go to bed or play a record. Have your son clean the lens later. You may have simply blown more gunk onto the lens when you dislodged the hair balls.

aroney and Myke like this.
  19. Myke

I know. :kilroy: I sent Oppo an e-mail, now I'm going to watch The Truman Show on Netflix (that still works on the Oppo), and hopefully the Zzzquil will kick in soon.
    Thanks.

Reese likes this.
  20. Myke

Just heard back from Oppo support, and of course they gave me the same instructions as you @Reese . My son's on board, though it'll have to wait until the weekend's over. My two grandsons will be visiting, and they of course are top priority.
    Got 4 new albums today, and loaded a few films to Netflix, plus what's on Amazon, I think I'll survive. :laugh:

Again, @Bill Mac , and @Reese , I really appreciate the help, and support. :tiphat:

21. Reese

Though I can't imagine the two of you will have any trouble with this, if something comes up PM me and I'll do my best to assist.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. Myke

Thanks. He's an HVAC Tech, plus has been taking care of my equipment since he was in his 20s (35 now).

tmtomh likes this.
  23. Sounds like you got it covered. If however you have to send it to Oppo, it should be a quick turnaround.

Bill Mac and Myke like this.
  24. Myke

We found a lot of crap inside her, but got her all cleaned up, and still Unknown Disc.
    So Oppo wants me to ship her back.
    $99.00 is damn reasonable !!!!
    Waiting for their shipping address now, and permission to use UPS ( who have a store nearby ).

Reese, Bill Mac and jhm like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You tried all options to correct the issue. Which is great so you know for sure it's an issue that Oppo needs to correct. The fixed price of $99 is excellent and I'm sure Oppo will go through everything while the 103 is on the bench. The 103 will return as good as new :).

Myke, Reese and tmtomh like this.