Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, you will be without your unit for about 2 weeks - probably 75-80% of which will be the transit time back and forth to California, as Oppo's turnaround time for the actual diagnosis and repair is very quick. And then you will be back in business.

aroney and Bill Mac like this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So ive got my 105 coming. Does that mean if i want i can send it to oppo for $100 and they'll bring it back to factory specs?? Go through and clean it and make sure everything is good to go?

3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

No, if you have a problem with the unit, the $99 charge will apply (until recently it was $79!). Otherwise, OPPO would be swamped with all of us sending in perfectly good players. :)

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  4. That $99 probably *just* covers the cost of the transport and the labor to install (minimal) and test (more time than the actual installation). They might keep it 24 hours to make sure everything is working. At that price, they could actually be losing money.

Myke likes this.
  5. With a transport issue, I don’t think any diagnosis will be involved. Rather, they will just swap out the old transport and put in a new one.

Myke likes this.
  6. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

So offer them an extra 50-100 to go thru everthing???

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't think I'd go that far. But Myke could ask them to go through his 103 while it's on the bench. Nothing ventured nothing gained... :).

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Another $101. to ship through UPS, and she's on her way.

Haven't kept up with this thread...how long are they going to stay in the support business ? The norm for most manufacturers, as we all know, is out of business = SOL brother, you're on your own.

Just remembered...I'm a former Saturn owner too ! :laugh:

9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

$101 for shipping?!? Last time I checked it was more like $40.

10. Myke

I insured it for $500 + packing materials. Insurance alone was $74.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. aroney likes this.
  12. mongo

mongo Senior Member

For all of the people who seem to think that Oppo Digital and their products aren't all that.
    We know that Oppo offers the best support in the business bar-none.
    Obviously, losing them is a sad end to an incredible run.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Did you own a Saab before that? ;)

Billy Budapest and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

EVERY e-mail today was responded to immediately !!! I'm not shy about telling the good people in my life how much I appreciate them, and I told this nameless associate how much every day of the last 76 months this player that they created has kept me entertained with music, movies, Netflix, mono, stereo, 4.0, 5.1, 7.1 folded but still kicking ass, and now the people that built it actually care enough to fix it 4+ years out of warranty for $99. + free return shipping ?!?

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

...and eyebrows are raised that they opted to close the business?

I'm sad to see any audio firm go, but heck, times are tight. Just saying.

16. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That's amazing! And they will FIX it for sure! OPPO rules!

So glad I was able to rob my bank and snag a 205! :D[​IMG]

Myke and tmtomh like this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

:doh:

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

:confused:

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

20. Hey, *I* own a Saab—actually, one of the rarest regular production cars ever made, the 9-4x Aero, produced for less than a year before Saab went out of business. There are something like 200 of them, and about 600 9-4x’s of any variety.

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Excellent idea!
    Beave

22. The Beave

This is true Billy but you have to make a distinction between the two, physical universal DISC players, and the OPPO just happens to also be a NETWORK player, and what the future is bringing is STREAMING players. Three different things/applications.

But I have to agree with the others here when we’re talking about playing PHYSICAL DISCS, if it doesn’t play SACD OR DVDA discs, it’s not a Universal DISC player.

But this is a fascinating discussion while all this is evolving as we type.
    I’ve got 6 OPPO’S now (I’m so proud) and I’m having an absolute kick swapping out the 105 for the 205 for the 95......
    Crazy fun for a 60 year OLD MAN!! :D

There’s 3 105’s up on eBay with starting bids of $700......start scarfing those bad boys up!

Beave

23. The Beave

OUCH!!!
    Well again, if one is heading towards streaming and such, this might be the deck for you.
    Plus I just read a review of the Elite Pioneer 88 something or other, nice looking deck but the ESS chip they use is a few notches down from the one in the 205, and it AMAZES me how OVERPRICED these various deck are compared with the OPPO decks, while offering way lower features.

So in reality an OPPO is an OPPO and NONE of the big boys c are to emulate their decks. All that means imo is that there will continue to be. A strong used market for their decks.
    Beave

24. Agreed, no one as been able to come out with a product that matches the performance, feature set, and price of the Oppo 205.

25. The Beave

And that’s the point isn’t it, we’ve got the hardware to last our lifetime and if your like me, we keep an eye out for those bailing the physical thing and are able to score some good deals to add to our library!
    Remember, it’s your library and it’s going nowhere unless you decide to dump it.
    Beave

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.