Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

FAR ****ING OUT!!!
    I’m listening to Stones Some Girls Outakes as I type this on my silver 105.........
    Having a tremendously good time being snowed in in Seattle!!!
    Beave

apesfan and Twinsfan007 like this.
  2. The Beave

What’s funny Billy is that because of OPPO leaving the scene the OPPO community here has turned into a quasi old folks home when we still have state of the art gear!!,!
    How ironic is that???

But really, there is room for anyone wanting to continue following current technology gear wise, but keep in mind that the reality of source material living up to ever changing up scale technologies is not good.
    I mean we just literally passed 4K and how many old classic shows and movies have been issued in 4K??
    I mean I just this past year got a blu Ray, U.K. only issue of ‘The World at War’ FINALLY mastered correctly both visually and audio, and you know what??, it’s in 4 b y 9 or whatever the standard tv picture ratio was before flat screens came out.
    So my reality is that 40 years after the fact I’m finally getting a favorite video in its original tv format!!! :yikes::whistle:o_O
    But in hi def........about as good as it’s going to get for me.
    Beave

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Nice! Where did you buy it? It's an excellent player. Enjoy :righton:!

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  4. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Audiogon is where it's coming from.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent!

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  6. That's pretty much how I view things and why I haven't been tempted to sell my Oppo machines despite the outrageous prices they've been fetching.

tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I have several Oppo players and have no interest in selling any of them even at a substantial profit. I get to much enjoyment playing discs from my collection. I'd rather have a backup or two to insure that continues into my golden years :D.

8. The Beave

Bill, did you ever get that 105 from avs??
    I noticed there were communicating problems there.
    Beave

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Already being done, without my input. Such superior customer service.

" Dear Mike ,

We have received your OPPO product for repair per RMA # xxxxx and are currently working on it. Your product will be tested for the described problem, repaired, and tested again. Additionally, your product will be cleaned and the latest official firmware installed. Typical turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days, depending on the problem. When we ship your product back (with signature requirement), you will receive a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information.

We regret that your OPPO product required service. However, we hope that you are completely satisfied with your service experience. If you have any questions about this return, you may contact us by replying to this e-mail. When contacting us, please reference your RMA number for faster service.

Best Regards,
    Customer Service "

apesfan, Soundslave, tmtomh and 5 others like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hey Beave, I did not buy the 105 listed on AVS. Too many red flags with the seller for me to consider dealing with him. I was offered a 105 for the same price from another AVS member via PM. This member has been on AVS for quite sometime so it's someone I have complete trust in. We're in the process of working out the final details.
    Excellent! No surprise that Oppo is right on top of things with your 103. Oppo has about the best service in the A/V industry!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Myke, Myke, Myke.

You shoulda bought an Arcam or Sony. Instead of getting your over-priced Oppo fixed you could've just thrown one of the other players in the landfill as no service would be available.
    Much much simpler :winkgrin:

Billy Budapest and The Beave like this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've never owned an Arcam product. But I'd bet a comparable Arcam player would be far more expensive than the Oppo. I'm very experienced with Sony players and at least six of them ended up in the trash :rolleyes:.

The Beave likes this.
  13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Didn’t you have a 105?

14. Myke

3 hours later, she's on her way home ! :hugs:

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes I did. My plan is to use the 105 in my bedroom system which is two channel only with an analog preamp. Then I might sell the 203 which is in that system now. But then again I might hold on to it.

ti-triodes likes this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Arcam UDP-411 - £1200 on release.

Sony BDP S370 still going strong eight years on.

eelkiller likes this.
  17. The Beave

Yeah, for $57 on Amazon!
    Amazing 2 pound piece of electronics that defies logic. I own three of this series Sony bdp’s and they are impressive for what they do.
    But I don’t see them going for $3000 on eBay!
    But they are fun little 2 pound toys to play with for awhile........
    Funny spot we’re in now isn’t it??
    Beave

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. The Beave

I understand Bill, especially with scratches. We have to watch out for Goodwill people picking these up and trying to get top dollar for them. It’s usually easy to spot them on eBay, just looking at their pictures......most don’t even take the time to wipe the dirt and **** off of the cover! Then call them as being in ‘excellent condition ‘.
    Sad thing to me is when OPPO was selling the last of the lot, they denied me a second 205, but very shortly after they sold that last Lott there appeared a few sellers selling sealed new units, even now on Amazon there is one seller selling sealed units for $4000, and has been doing so since last September....hmmmm..so much for stopping those guys OPPO while denying me my backup.....good job dudes. You thought you were being moral and all you did was feed the scammers who scammed all those last units from you. And you didn’t even have the brains to get top dollar for yourselves.
    A bit pissed, yeah I am. But I am very thankful for the 205 I was able to get back in June.
    Now if I only bought like 8 203s.......
    Beave

19. Myke

Oh, and it was the loader tray, just like I had read about on an Oppo forum, a week ago. Every day, for 76 months straight, there's no telling how many times that tray was opened, and closed.

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  20. Brother_Rael

I got mine for free as part of a Sony promotion when John Lewis when I also bought a Sony TV back at Christmas 2010. My ex has the TV (also still going strong!).

Audio performance for the 370 with CDs was pretty decent, though I paired mine with a Firestone Audio Spitfire II DAC and it was comfortably the equal of my then Marantz SA7001-KI.

Not bad for a bog standard Blu-ray player. Picture quality was excellent too.

And if they're going for $57 new on Amazon, that's a decent bargain for anyone on a budget. Overpriced $3000 baubles can be somebody else's gig!

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the Arcam 92 CD player. It is my favourite cd player an decodes HDCD. It does not play sacd, blu-ray or files on a usb which of course the Oppo 103 does and then does a DAC and then sends analogue out to my amp. My understanding is at this point in time no other players outside of Oppo do that.

22. Brother_Rael

Cambridge 751BD / 752BD / CXU.

If you're comparing the Oppo 103/5 series that is. (Arcam, NAD and Denon pre-Blu-ray too.)

Both companies ditched HDCD with their most recent universal players.

eelkiller and Flaming Torch like this.
  23. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Hello, looking for advise. Connected Sony S580 to OPPO 205 HDMI IN. I'm getting a picture but no sound through oppos headphone output. Looking for settings suggestions or does it not work through headphone part? Tried SACD, CD, bluray and the Sony built in apps. Thanks.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm at a loss as to why you have the Sony S580 connected to the HDMI input of the 205 :confused:.

The Beave and Hymie the Robot like this.
  25. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Sacr
    I thought I might get that question. The 580 has a special function, that even the 205 doesn't.