Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hello Lonson!
    That’s exactly what I’m hoping for, and what I get out of the 205 and the 105.
    I’ve been educating myself on the Arcam brand and they have a lot of good culture qualities that I like. I’ve never actually met anyone here stateside that owns one. But from what I’ve been reading it’s mostly good.
    Growing up here it was all Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Technics, Yamaha, pretty much Japanese gear. I knew of names like Nad, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, and some more but they never were in my price range, being sold in only the boutique stores.
    So I am genuinely excited for this new avenue that has opened up for me.
    Btw I like full Bass, if it’s in the music, that’s one of the things that was lacking from CD players for the longest time was a full bottom. A lot had to do with rock mastering using riaa e q lp production tapes instead of flat mix down tapes, but most of my older CD players didn’t do those cds any favors. But now, as the cd is seeing its sunset we’re getting gear that finally does the format justice.
    Very cool!
    Beave

2. The Beave

And sceptical you have the right to be. You live in the U.K. and this is my first foray into Brit Audio.
    But a couple of points here.......
    1) the OPPO 205 is a fully realized Universal Player, with surround sound and all the bells and whistles they could cram into a 23 pound piece of kit.......
    And they did it for a street price of $1299.00 because it’s made in China.

2) the Arcam Does just a FEW THINGS the OPPO’s do, namely just play cd’s and SACD’S and streams.
    A LOT LESS CIRCUITRY and manufacturing cost compared to the 205.
    Therefore it would be very realistic to think that they could spend extra money on a totl DAC to give the deck a distinct advantage over its competitors.
    Hell, I would NOT have purchased it if it didn’t have the ESS 9038 DAC! Pure. And simple.

So sceptical on lad! I’m just having fun with gear while I can and I’m not looking for something that beats the 205, that’s my reference deck. But I am looking for something not so HUGE as the 205, that thing is truly a monster of a kit!
    Beave

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    tmtomh likes this.
  3. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Re: Dacs

Even if it is the 9038K2M and not the PRO, I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s all about implementation anyways. I know it’s not exactly apples to apples, but the ESS9018K2M in my Pono did sound better through Oppo PM-3’s than the ESS9018PRO in my 105 through its headphone jack and same headphones.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. The Beave

Implementation indeed! The DAC is a MAJOR part of the equation, but the other half seems to be equally important.
    Before I bought this I did not know there were three different versions of the 9038 dac!
    But again, there are decks out there currently using the ESS9018 dac and commanding top dollar!
    So what does that tell you?.?
    Beave

martinb4 likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It may be less complex but I am going by how much Arcam kit costs in the UK and that player historically is at the bottom end of their range (though it appears now to be their only disc player). The FMJ that did SACD and used a DCS Dac (a decade or so ago) cost double this. Maybe it is now Chinese made? The 205 was a true bargain and why I bought one in addition to its DVDA ability (as I have a few discs). Also covers for Blu Ray Audio though that is a dying duck.

6. The Beave

It is Chinese made CR. Over herein the States at it’s price point of $1200 it’s competition is the Marantz streamer, also at $1200. On the back of it it states “made in the P.R.C........People’s Republic of China.

Funny that it’s more expensive here in the States, $1200 compared to $904 in the U.K.
    AND YES, THE OPPO 205, FOR ALL IT DOES is/was a bargain at it’s $1299 list price.
    The dang thing is a monster of a kit that’s for sure.
    Beave

7. The Beave

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You don't want to add it to your collection ;)? Looking at the listing I'd be a little hesitant. No manual, no original box or inner packing. That'd be a good price if all was original IMO.

9. The Beave

That’s true, but I’ve bought my last 103 without the original box and it is extremely clean!
    But no! I already have 2 103’s and just dropped $800 on the Arcam!! :bigeek:
    I’m surprised my Wife hasn’t slit my throat! :D
    But you do have some good points Bill. Always buyer beware!
    It does look clean though........
    Beave

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not sure why that'd be a problem or make you timid. My current CD player was about £1300 on release a decade ago. I bought it sans original box, but with a booklet for £300. Not really sure what the problem is, a well packed Blu-ray player will be fine in transit. Dealers do this often, so it's not going to be a deal breaker if it's carefully packaged up.

Or is this just a la Marks and Spencer? "This isn't just any box, this is an Oppo box..."?!

Soundslave likes this.
  11. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

To many, the presence of the original box, manual and all accessories suggests that the seller takes care of his equipment and cares about the details. The absence of the box, etc. says that the seller may take pride and care of his equipment or maybe not and, in fact, the unit may have been acquired in a drug-fueled burglary.

12. Brother_Rael

Or it was acquired from a dealer who'd taken in as part of a trade-in. Good few dealers in the UK offer used gear as "minus original packaging, but will be well packed for shipping". Or from someone who, as you say, took care of the goods, but doesn't have the space to store boxes for gear they plan to keep for years. Flat packed or not. I have the boxes for the Cambridge 752BD which is a neat little thing. The box for the Roksan K3 DAC, rather the opposite. It's getting binned soon.

Okay, recycled!

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you have the box and the shaped packing pieces there is some chance it will survive a courier in one piece. Otherwise you are reliant on the sender to know how to pack properly. I wouldn't even consider posting a turntable if it did not have original packaging. Certainly would avoid any Blu Ray or Universal player without the manual. Boxed + manual can add quite a bit of value. Maybe £100 or more.

14. The Beave

Good points the last 3 posts. One must be careful and take each item on it’s own merits. I’ve gotten lucky that around 80% of the used oppo’s I’ve bought have had most if not all of the original accessories and the original box. The others have been packed very well and have been in close to mint shape. But with those I corosponded with the seller beforehand to get a feel for the integrity of the unit.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the Arcam is shipped. It’s still nice that you can get a nice condition 103 for under $400 though! Really nice deck those are!
    Beave

15. Brother_Rael

Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationale and concept, it's just that as a buyer, I'm not too put off by lack of the original box. Manuals are often available on the manufacturer's website as a download.

Equally, turntables are an exception, and you do ideally want the original box, just given the nature of decks and their various parts. I'd suggest that's different from a regular shape of a CD or Blu-ray player.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have had my Oppo 103 in the classifieds for a while now for $400. Box and all paper and all accessories as bought new.

No interest, so now I keep it. :)

17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I picked up the Darbee edition of that model for $288 not long ago...

TheVU likes this.
  18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Man, maybe I should let it go for $200!

Thanks for the tip!

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I wouldn't let mine go for $400, and I have two other Oppo's!

tmtomh likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My 103 is home ! :bdance:

tmtomh likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

A great machine to keep around - but I'll bet if you posted it here again for, say $350 or $375 someone probably would take it. Sometimes things just don't sell here, and then later on they do. Just depends on who happens to be looking at the threads when.

22. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Kinda surprising considering it did not sell as this is a model that rips SACD's. That fact alone is enough for me to keep my 103 and also my 93 ISO/SACDr playback. The 205 is in my Video setup...

PhantomStranger, bru87tr and tmtomh like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought an 83 and the front panel had a few scratches with one on the display window. I contacted Oppo and they had new faceplates for the 83 in stock. I ordered one and then asked if they had the cover for the disc draw. They had that in stock as well then I asked if they could include an Oppo bag as the 83 didn't come with one. The box from Oppo arrived a few days ago with all the items I requested. Oppo only charged me for the front panel and not for the draw cover or the bag. Now that's service :righton:!

Changing out the faceplate and draw cover was pretty straight forward. Remove the cover, two screws holding the faceplate and disconnect a few ribbon cables. The faceplate and drawer cover came off and went back on without any problems. Now I have an 83 that is cosmetically perfect and works excellent as well :).

24. The Beave

Bill that is so cool!
    Great company!
    Beave

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure if there is another A/V company that stopped production of new products but continues to offer support as well as Oppo has. That being service and parts for players that have been out production for many years.

I look at my "restoration" of the 83 almost like restoring a classic car or motorcycle. I've done both and the 83 was quite a bit easier and much less expensive by far :D!

The Beave, tmtomh and c-eling like this.