Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Perhaps the files on the drive are badly fragmented. If you haven't already, you might try formatting the drive and making a fresh copy of the files that have been giving you trouble. Fragmented files, particularly hi-res files that require a high bit rate transfer speed, can give players fits.

hobbes4444 likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have two Western Digital Passport hard drives connected to the rear USB inputs on my 205 with no issues.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listen to my files via my MacBook connected to an OWC hard drive, then into the Oppo via USB. No issues.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Right. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716LDKDC/

5. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

The drive did not have fragmentation issues but I did a defrag anyway. Will report back...

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’m using a 4 Tb WD My Passport with no issues.

7. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Yeah, I could not get that Toshiba drive to play nice with the 205, so I'm using the WD bare drive in a Thermaltake and no major issues. Going to look for a different enclosure, but stay with a separately powered drive for now...

8. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Hi, I am using the HDMI In on the 205 with a different unit to take advantage of it's features. I get video but no sound through the headphone output. Trying to figure out what I'm missing here.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

What features are you gaining vs just using the 205. I use the HDMI in for a HTPC and the sound and video is excellent.

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Email support (you can't call anymore). They will reply.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What is the "different unit" you refer to? Is the volume level of the 205 turned up? Is the volume muted? If you isolate the 205 with nothing connected do you get audio from the headphone output when playing a CD? What's the headphone volume setting (page 66 in the 205 manual) set to? Did you check all settings pertaining to the headphone output in the 205 manual?

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

Hymie the Robot and Reese like this.
  12. sixtieswerebest

Yes I get audio from every other source I use. CD BD USB . it's a Sony unit that has apps I wanted to input through the OPPO

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

At least the 205 is functioning properly. It must have something to do with the Sony device you're using. It seems that the 205 doesn't like the Sony. Just another reason to love Oppo players :D.

14. sixtieswerebest

It might. I'll mess around with it some more

15. sixtieswerebest

Yes the 205 is wonderful. Although I'm not overly thrilled with the way you have to play mqa discs

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It sure is an excellent player! I have an appreciation for the functionality and feature set of Oppo players. I bought two MQA CDs (Steely Dan) and was not impressed. Doubt I'll buy any more in the future. I wish there was an option to play the rebook layer of the MQA discs with the 205. But there is no option in the 205 menu as there is with SACDs.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  17. sixtieswerebest

Mqa did not impress me either. The CD layer sounded fine nothing exceptional, and it's too much hassle to play the high res for what you get, I'll stick with SACD

I hope the good folks at foobar come up with a plug in to unfold and save the 352/24 wave file to hard drive

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  18. sixtieswerebest

I get the impression that the theory behind MQA is similar to DoP.

Has anyone used these files (DoP) on the 205?

If so, I have some questions.

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I can see why you think that - but "encapsulation" in MQA is very different than in DoP. DoP (DSD over PCM) is lossless - it just puts the DSD data, unaltered, inside a PCM container.cimp

MQA, by contrast takes any PCM file with a sample rate above 88.2kHz or 96kHz and destructively downsamples is to 88.2 or 96k. Then it takes the downsampled file and, using lossy (destructive) compression, compresses frequencies above 22.05kHz or 24kHz (in other words, frequencies encoded by sample rates above 44.1K or 48k), and stores that compressed ultrasonic data in the 16th bit (or 15th and 16th, I can't recall exactly) of the 24-bit signal.

As for DoP on an Oppo 205, since the 205 can accept native DSD streams, the only reason I can think of to use DoP with a 205 would be if you are streaming to the Oppo from a streaming device whose software or hardware doesn't support DSD.

TheKevster and Hymie the Robot like this.
  20. Hymie the Robot

Wish the 205 accepted DSD over HDMI input. Native OR DoP...

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Are you sure it doesn't? The Oppo 205 manual lists DSD among the supported formats for HDMI input.

22. sixtieswerebest

It's supposed to. I get video but no audio in the headphone output. I'm still messing with it.

23. sixtieswerebest

Hi, thanks for the input. The file extension needs to be .cimp?

Dbpoweramp creates it with a wav extension. I wanted to try DoP because the 205 does not play dsf files gapless and now that development is over they won't add this. Nor a headphone EQ that I requested.

But anyway, I copied the DoP waves to a USB thumb drive, and they play at 176/24.

I was under the impression that the 205 would convert it on playback. I guess I'm thinking this all works like FLAC lol.

So like mqa, I need to use the USB DAC and connect to a PC to play them, I assume? As in streaming, AISO, probably, I do have oppos USB driver on the PC.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  24. Hymie the Robot

Not from my experience using HDMI input. No DTS-HD or Dolby TruHD. All have workarounds without signal loss but lose a bit of convenience.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't know how that "cimp" thing got in my prior post. It was a typo or some kind of weird auto-correct error.