Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

They did mention reorganizing, so maybe they are trying to figure out how to get a piece of the streaming market.

2. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

It didnt work on my phone, so i was concerned about it. Friend of mine just called Oppo because he owns their stuff, they confirmed the news.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! Didn't see this coming. If it was yesterday it would have been a bad April Fools Day prank. It looks like I'll be buying a 205 before they become scarce and are going for $2k and up on eBay.

Kristofa, Cliff, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My thought as well. I don't see how they can stick around to provide support, even releasing new firmware from time to time, when the primary source of revenue -- sales of products -- goes belly up. If selling blu-ray/4K players doesn't keep the company afloat, then the company will close.

I am sure that others than I have put off purchase of OPPO, for various reasons. In my case, I am finishing up working for two more months, and then will retire and move to Colorado. I was planning on purchasing an OPPO blu-ray player then. Why purchase now and have to move it? I don't think I have a choice -- the well won't go completely dry immediately, but after a month or so, I would start to worry.

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks like I will be upgrading my 93 to a 203, sooner than I otherwise would have liked to UG, just in case.

[​IMG]

I just recently upgraded the processor to an 4k HDR, Emotiva MC-700, so an update of the player was on the planning board.

[​IMG]

For those of you who plan to upgrade to one of the new OPPO's, you may want to add a decent 4k processor.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I wonder if branching into other products proved too much from a support standpoint or not enough to offset the reduction in disc player sales.

intensemojo and sunspot42 like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yikes! I hope my player hangs in there for a long time to come. A shame.....a great player.

SteveM, Rhett, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  8. glide

glide Forum Resident

I’ll take a 205 during the fire sale :D

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

What a disappointment! Looks like I'll join the rank of those getting the 205 as well. Time to support your vendors and get an SACD player before there no longer available. I am not liking the direction I'm seeing overall. I was in Best Buy this weekend feeling all depressed about how the CD selection (and DVD/Blurays) have dwindled. You can't even go out and get any random buys locally anymore.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  10. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Damn. Terrible news. I still have a BD 83 that I love. I wonder if I should check out one of newer units before they shut down?

Seminole likes this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

it's the opening page of their website now

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Anticipated new tariffs on goods from China?

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Quite a shock.
    Almost like an athlete chossing to retire when they’re still at or near the top.
    Though I ultimately bought a CXU it could just as easily have been an Oppo.
    Makes me realize that optical spinners may not be long for this world which has me thinking of snagging a couple of Sony UBP-X800’s as back up transports next time they’re on sale

15. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

This sucks! I've been putting off upgrading to the 203 I might have to just pull the trigger.

16. glide

glide Forum Resident

I wouldn’t touch a new one anywhere near MSRP

HiFi Guy likes this.
  17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m guessing they’re expensive now? I got mine for around $450. Had to bring it to the factory for a drawer repair a few years ago. Cool place.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Huh? So you think with Oppo stopping production their players will be going for short money? Good luck with that :laugh:.
    As long as Oppo and their vendors have stock of the 203 ($549) and 205 ($1299) they'll be selling for MSRP. Which is normal since Oppo has been selling players.

19. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

We bought the 205 late last year, and we love it. It had better live a long life though! :(

SteveM, tmtomh and PhilBiker like this.
  20. Oppo going the way of the Pono

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wouldn't compare Oppo to Pono. How many years was Pono around? Was the Pono player a big hit like Oppo players have been?

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wow, what a great Christmas gift for myself in 2023. I think I'll buy one now, and hide it in the basement.

This is such a freakin' insult to the marketplace it almost falls into Catch-22 territory: a player so good and boasting so many advantages and quality touches that it's practically the only answer you get here when somebody, "Hey, what's the best bang for the buck on...". It's the brand that kicks everybody's *** on service, high-touch consumer experience, and delivers more breadth of features and response to firmware improvement needs that answers peoples' needs moreso than industry bullying (I can only count two examples to the contrary)...

For most audiophiles and videophiles, it's not just the brand offering a solution...it's the only solution. Whenever the search starts there (and, once one gets over the sticker shock, it leads right back there), massive satisfaction follows. Before DACs became the Hipster Household Word (right after "french press"), Oppo sported two of the most popular performers as just a part of the package.

Oppo was probably a major argument for sticking with multichannel; hi-res; system upgrades; 3-D; Hi-Def; and looking into a server. As technologies and advancements they were not even AT the forefront of!

So, naturally...they must not be allowed to exist. Future generations will lose sight of arguments about whether Kennedy was an inside job, and instead focus on who really killed Oppo. I bet Oliver Stone will be working up a proposal within the week.

MOXI was on top when they got bought out and yanked off the DVR market; and frankly, before that I can't think of any more heinous examples of the industry eating its' young, save for the Tucker automobile, and oil companies investing in trollys to get them out of cities.

23. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’m shocked. I have an 83se and no doubt that sooner or later I’d buy more Oppo products. Really sucks.

chacha likes this.
  24. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I would never shell out $1299 for the 205 with the possibility of no warranty. And although they’re claiming they’ll warranty it, things can change. If money dries up and they can’t pay techs and support people, those people won’t show up to work. Then what?

I ordered the Sonica DAC a few weeks ago, but the very next day they announced they were discontinuing it. So I refused it when it arrived, it went back to Oppo and they credited my Amex. Glad I sent it back. If it broke down and Oppo stopped providing warranty service, that would be $800 down the drain.

25. Just going with the two Os thing :tiphat: