Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. I haven’t read your entire review, but I need to correct two things:

I never said the Belkin ultra high speed cable is the only HDMI 2.1 cable, I said it is the only HDMI cable that doesn’t choke on Dolby Vision video, and to my knowledge it is the only cable with 48GHz bandwidth. Most other cables max out at 18GHz bandwidth at best. That’s why they can’t pergorm with Dolby Vision.

Second, Foxconn only recently bought Belkin, and Apples recommendation of the Belkin ultra high speed cable predates Foxconn’s purchase by years.

Finally, have YOU tried the Belkin ultra high speed cable? I asked you that earlier. You haven’t, yet you have an opinion on them. That doesn’t make sense.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

3. ti-triodes likes this.
  4. I just noticed that the Monoprice cables have not been certified by the HDMI Standards Organization as UHD Premium. That’s kind of a big deal—BJC’s cables weren’t certified as ultra-high-speed capable and they did not end up working with DV on my Apple TV 4K and Sony A1E OLED.

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have a feeling not all the kinks have been worked out by HDMI.org.

What else is new? HDMI has been a cluster***k for it’s entire lifespan.

6. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I have various HDMI cables that work fine with DV and everything else.
    I really don't know where the OP is getting this nonsense about only Belden cables working.
    One thing I have found out and it seems totally counterintuitive but true.
    Some very short HDMI cables don't display video, audio yes, video no.
    I sent back 2 3 ft fiber optic cables for that very reason.
    My calibrator was the one who told me about it.
    He's seen it several times.
    Weird.

Cliff likes this.
  7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I'm using BJC certified premium 6' HDMI cables and DV works fine. Have an LG OLED 2018 65"B8 and a Panny 820 player. I don't do any streaming just disc playback.

apesfan and Cliff like this.
  8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Back when I first started getting into HDMI-enabled devices, I had read multiple posts about using 6' length minimum. Never knew why but I didn't doubt them as they were well respected members on another home theater forum. Lucky for me, I couldn't use a 3' cable if I wanted to (no short runs in my setup then). Maybe this is still true to some degree? Could explain it in your experience. But in fairness, I'm using a 3' run from my Nvidia Shield TV and get HDR10, DD+ with Dolby Atmos perfectly fine with it. No issues whatsoever.

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

You're probably spinning at 24fps which uses less bandwidth. Not that I'm saying the Blue Jeans can't do 60fps 4k w/ DV. But more bandwidth is needed for it. Reason I mention it is my Shunyata Venom cables could do lossless Dolby Atmos or DTX-X and 4k+HDR10 @ 24fps. Those cables are only 10.2Gbps (as best I can tell anyway).

10. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Indulge me one moment. I have the LG 65 B8. I have the Oppo 203 wired directly to the LG. Use analog outs to amps/receiver.
    Opinions on the Oppo settings for bluray/4k, they are....

Output resolution- Custom
    Custom resolution -UHD Auto
    Color Space- YCbCr 4:2:2
    Color Depth -12 bit.

Thankyou, didnt mean to highjack this thread, John M.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  11. The BJC cables could not reliably handle DV playback via UHD Blu-ray or streaming in my setup. I'm not going to say they won't work in other people's systems, but they did not reliably work in mine. I spoke with BJC at length and even though their cables are not ultra-high speed certified, they said they rarely encountered complaints or returns related to DV playback. I actually tested out five different BJC cables (I had purchased five for various pieces of playback equipment) and none worked, so I know it was not due to a manufacturing defect.

12. Actually, you're not hijacking the thread, you are bringing it back on topic! Nice TV, BTW.

apesfan likes this.
  13. Looks reasonable to me.

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Unless I mis-read their website, they are only rated at 'Premium HDMI' (18Gbps). This could explain why you're having trouble passing DV. It would be very tough with this cable (even with limited chroma up-sampling).

JediJoker and Billy Budapest like this.
  15. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I should have mentioned at 60fps (streaming). If they're failing at 24fps (as you said in your first sentence), that's not good.

16. Nonsense? No. Have you tried a cable other than the Belkin ultra-high speed with DV content on an AppleTV? I’m not talking about HDR10 content which requires less bandwidth. I’m talking about DV content. If you haven’t tried it, then don’t call it “nonsense.” Apple doesn’t call it “nonsense”—they advise you to use the Belkin cable for DV.

17. I never said *only* 24fps. I said Dolby Vision UHD and streaming. Now, the discs are necessarily 24fps but I have no idea what frame rate the streaming content is. The BJC cables did not seem to have trouble with HDR10 content. The black screens and loss of signal occurred with the DV content.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I must have the wrong thread. I didn't realize this was a thread discussing HDMI cables and all that goes with them. Could someone please direct me to the "Farewell To Oppo Digital" thread ;). I see one of the usual suspects deep in the mix :winkgrin:.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Sorry, my mistake. I assumed when you said UHD blu-ray, you meant movies @ 24fps.

21. I had issues with both. No apology necessary. To use a cliche, it’s the Wild West with 4k, DV, Sony’s DV implementation, Netflix and Hulu 4k via AppleTV, etc.

22. I think that there is only so much Oppo Farewell discussion to be had—until Oppo releases its next firmware update!

apesfan and Cliff like this.
  23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Might as well talk about other stuff, I guess? :yawn:

Or ... a new thread about HDMI cables could be created and that conversation could be had there, while this thread quietly waits for the next Oppo-specific content? Personally I find the HDMI conversation a distraction and a bore. If it were its own thread I would not subscribe to it.

Craig.

Isaac McHelicopter and Bill Mac like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's true. But the off topic discussion of HDMI cables gets redundant. Especially when it's just a few members arguing their points back and forth. Just like the back and forth about who Oppo was and wasn't. It gets to a point where one has to know they made their point and move on.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Actually, the two discussions were totally different, and neither was about “making points.” The HDMI cable discussion was especially legit because it concerns problems that people may encounter with OPPO players. As far as what OPPO was/wasn’t, I offered the knowledge I had as an insider (well, an insider to an extent, anyway). If you took offense or were bored, just ignore the conversations.

Brother_Rael likes this.