Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. I take it you don’t read the McCartney archive threads? Or the Bowie box set threads? Threads tend to wander when there isn’t anything new to report. That’s just the nature of the forum.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I un-watch the threads that wander more than a little.

Thanks for alerting me to two threads I should avoid because of significant digressions/threadcraps. I'm skeptical that wandering threads is the nature of the forum, as I'm watching many many threads that never, or very rarely, wander.

I'm perplexed about why "nothing new to report" is a reason to justify talking about anything else except the topic of the thread, when the specific design of forums is that a new thread can always be created, specific to whatever topic one wants to talk about (within forum guidelines of course).

Anyway, when I'm watching a thread about Oppo, and I've set it to alert me via email whenever there's something new, it's damn annoying when emails about the Oppo thread are alerting me about HDMI cables discussions. If I were interested in HDMI cables discussions, I'd search and find a thread (or start one if there isn't already one), and read that thread instead of (or in addition to, but separately from) the Oppo thread.

Back on topic: Last weekend Disc 6 of the Twin Peaks: The Return blu-ray box set froze my Oppo 205, and forced me to reboot it to bring it back to life. It froze around the point where most of the Twin Peaks police was out in the woods, just around the point where Andy was walking out of the woods with that unclothed alien... (I'm trying to be vague on purpose to avoid spoilers). After the reboot, I used the chapter advance button on the remote to get back to the point where it previously froze, and it played right through the rest of the way without a problem. A rare mis-step for my Oppo 205!

Craig.

Edmoney, tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I get your point, but what "new" is there in a company that is currently a servicing function? After all, how long does a farewell need to last?!

And threads do drift, so Billy's comment is pretty valid. And likewise about the HDMI issue. This isn't particularly disrespectful to the thread, but equally, not exactly an uncommon outcome in Internet fora.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I haven’t watched any movies lately with my 203 or 205. But I can’t recall any movies freezing causing a reboot in the past. Either lack of movie use or just luck that I’ve had no issues. I use both players mostly for music.

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

It's probably better to set the Color Depth to Auto. Blu-ray is 8 bit, UHD is 10 bit. If you force 12 bit you may run into problems if you change the Color Space on the player somewhere down the road. Your OLED should be able to handle the processing, but there’s no sense forcing the OPPO to send extra bandwidth if it doesn’t need to.

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  6. I believe that faulty copies of the Twin Peaks box have circulated. Or at least I remember something like that getting mentioned by early reports.

7. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Thanks, I knew about the real capabilities of the Oppo/LG when Color Depth is set. No tv can do 12 bit yet, but the ISF trained guy calibrated my set and he mentioned that passing 12 bit is impossible so the LG or Oppo drops to 10 or 8 bit automatically so I left Color Depth at 12. I am now going to change the Oppo setting to 10 bit, would you say thats good or just do Auto and stop equivocating! :confused::help::nauga:

Im thinking that most blurays are 8 bit so setting it to 10 bit forces maybe a better picture or just more unwanted conversions like the output set to Custom instead of Source Direct. Since the LG upscales to 4k for everything, which gives the better upscaling algorithm, the LG or the Oppo? I flipped back and forth (2 hours worth) the resolution settings last night and could not tell which gives a better image.

Bluray, 4k HDR, Dolby Vision hdr, they are all looking great.
    Which is a better choice, the Oppo or LG doing the Resolutions, Color Depth and Color Depth? Thanks again John M.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  8. Most people let the display handle the upscaling.

9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

If both 10 bit and Auto look the same, leave it on Auto.

Bill Mac and apesfan like this.
  10. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Forum Resident

Never output Color Space in 4:2:2 ever. It should always be 4:4:4 per Stacey Spears.

Color Depth should be at 12 bit for UHD movies it will be tunneled via RGB 8 bit to your display but still will be Dolby Vision 12 bit into the display even on a 10 bit panel.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Can anyone help me with what should be a simple thing—I used to stream YouTube easily with my 103 (with a dongle), but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to do that same simple thing with my 205 (same goes for attaching my iPhone). Google apparently is not my friend with this subject. Thanks for any clues.

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I thought the 203/205 series of Oppo dropped the streaming media features, such as Netflix and YouTube?

JediJoker, chili555 and tmtomh like this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’m not an expert but I don’t think the Oppo 203 or 205 stream at all, do they!? They provide a digital input for the streamer instead. Could be why you can’t find out how to do it.

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

There is no YouTube (or any other app) support in the 203/205.

JediJoker, PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Any work around?
    Thanks for the quick replies btw!:targettiphat:

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Connect a streamer/computer to the hdmi input.

Mooserfan and JediJoker like this.
  17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Right -- many options to choose from: Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, etc.

18. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I was hoping to control it wirelessly (the couch :) ). I could attach an IPad to it but tried it through the USB with an Apple usb to lightning connector, powered hub which I read would work—-nope.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suggest purchase Chromecast or Chromecast Audio and play it through the 205 DAC. Plenty info on setting it up out there. Attach via Hdmi (or toslink to mini toslink for Chromecast audio). You will have to figure out how to run Chromecast from an Iphone.

20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Fantastic. Does something come up on the home page that makes it obvious that it’s connected?

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

All of the four streaming devices I listed above include remote controls.

Mooserfan, jhm and chili555 like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You can cast using chrome browser on a computer or chromecast app on a phone. I don't think Oppo will show anything other than the input selected on the oppo display or monitor.

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Why ? Oppos have better upscaling chips than average TVs.

JediJoker, scobb and Hymie the Robot like this.
  24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You connect the little streaming device to the Oppo via HDMI. Then you select HDMI via the Oppo's remote, and make sure the streaming device is awake (press the device remote's home or menu button or probably any button), and once the Oppo switches to HDMI, you'll see the streaming device's main/home menu on your screen. The Oppo's front-panel display, though, will only say "HDMI," as has been noted above.

It's just like if you hooked up a Roku, Chromecast, or AppleTV (or DVD or Blu-Ray player, or VCR) to a TV - you switch to the correct input on the TV, and then the TV's screen displays the menu of that device.

Mooserfan, JediJoker and chili555 like this.
  25. That used to be true but the latest OLED models are a whole other ball of wax. Greatly depends on which display you have these days and how new it is.

JediJoker and The Pinhead like this.