Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Fallacious logic. HDMI has no provision for transmission of analog audio. In the case of DSD, it's likely being converted to PCM—i.e., a digital-to-digital conversion—in the player.

fluffskul, scobb and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You poor soul. :shake:

3. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Yes, that occurred to me after posting.

Anyway, the Sony 800m2 does the same things I use the Oppo 203 for. I have a 105 that I use for stereo, and I use the XLR outputs from that With the 203 in my home theater system I use HDMI.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    JediJoker likes this.
  4. Right, the x800 and x800m2 Di not have analog outputs or DACs. The x1000es and x1100es have stereo analog outputs and sound quite nice (the audio hardware in both players appears to be the same).

Flaming Torch likes this.
  5. Yes, either that or the x1000es, or the Panasonic or Pioneer players would be good choices. Unfortunately, none of these players have the same combination of features, sound quality, and price that the Oppo players had, though. Oppo really hit it out of the park with its final series of products and there is nothing like them currently on the market. Talk about going out while on top!

From a technical standpoint, the Oppo 205 and Sonica DAC represent the pinnacle of what is possible with today’s digital engineering, from a distortion, linearity, and jitter suppression perspective. Very few players come close to this technical perfection, and I do not expect the Sony, Pioneer, or Panasonic players to, either. However, is this perfection actually audible? That’s up for debate.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I still wonder what a Oppo UDP 305 would have been like........:laugh:

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The DAC in the 205 is the best I've had in my system (and by some margin) to date. The Sony does at least play all types of discs and the new 1100ES may run it close on sound? If it sounded as good I would consider swap out and make a profit on the Oppo. Put it towards new speakers. Build quality of Oppo is another league to most other disc spinners below a few thousand pounds.

The Pinhead, RnRmf and tmtomh like this.
  8. I do not think the 1100ES is close to the 205 in terms of sound. It is better than the 203 and does have very good sound quality but it is not on the same level as the 205’s analog outputs. Plus, the 1100ES only has stereo analog outputs, not multichannel.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Your AVR may be playing PCM output from the Sony. If you can set the Sony for DSD or PCM, try setting it to DSD and see what happens. Also, does the Sony have an IEC958 or Toslink output? This is how some newer Sony Players output stereo SACD at CD quality.

10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The stereo analog output delivers stereo SACD from the Sony's DAC. But, multi-channel SACD is output via HDMI to the AVR's DAP. BTW, I have not heard analog stereo SACD or digital multi-channel SACD output from the Sony but a few on one of forums here say the stereo SACD sound is better than the OPPO 205. The Sony is so inexpensive I've thought about just adding one to my system although I am very happy with my OPPO 205.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  11. The stereo SACD sound quality—and CD and DVD-A, for that matter—is quite good. I wouldn’t say it is as good as the 205, however.

12. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I'm between houses and I stupidly put both my Oppos into storage. I got the Sony to fill in as a multichannel player for a few months and I can't complain for the price. It will eventually probably end up next to the 105 for the purpose of playing 4K video that the Oppo won't play.

Sterling1 and tmtomh like this.
  13. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Sorry if you mentioned this in the thread, there are so many pages :winkgrin:, but has anyone tried the new Pioneer UDP-LX500?
    Or the following models?

14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The 103D has nothing to apologize for. It has the nice warm organic sound that’s typical of OPPO players. It’s not going to give you the extra detailing that a xx5 series player has but it’s a lot closer than many audiophiles would admit. You should get years of happy listening.
    The Darbee detailer will give you the BEST Blu-ray picture possible if you want to watch a movie. Enjoy!

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I bought a 205. Given the great reviews of the Bifrost 2 DAC, I am tempted to order one and use the 205 as a transport. Can you talk me off the ledge?
    Thanks in advance.

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Sell your 205 for a profit, and buy an older Oppo to use it as a transport for your bitfrost.

SandAndGlass and Bill like this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't:D

Bill likes this.
  18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Bifrost can't do DSD if that matters to you.

Bill likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The main reason for the "05" versions are the improved audio sections. This makes the "05" versions twice as expensive as the "03" versions, which employ a less expensive DAC and have a less expensive analog section.

I had a '93 and updated to be on par with the 4k TV and the new 4k processor I had acquired.

I bought the 203 because I only use the Oppo as a transport into the Peachtree iNova, that has a Saber DAC like the older '95's had. For video, I use the HDMI into the processor.

As the series progressed to the 103/105 and 203/205 the internal DAC's and analog sections have improved. but if you are going to only use the 205 as a transport, any of them are as good as the other.

What you might consider doing is to buy the Bitfrost 2 DAC and then compare it to the DAC that is inside of the 205 to see which DAC that you prefer.

If the Bitfrost 2 is not better, then return it. If the Bitfrost 2 is the better DAC, than you might consider TarnishedEars suggestion and selling your 205 and buying a '93, 103 or 205, if you are only intend to use it as a transport.

20. Moving to a Bifrost would be a major downgrade. The 205 DAC hardware is state of the art. The Bifrost, not so much. I am Schiit fan, but their products are engineered to represent the peculiar biases of their designers. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but they aren’t striving for transparency and by and large, they don’t measure very well, if that is important to you.

BTW, I owned the original Bifrost and I currently own a Schiit Modi Uber.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

This is what I suspected, that the DACs in the Oppo are superior to those in the Bifrost 2. Do others agree?
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate all of your thoughts.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thanx; I own over 700 concert DVDs. They never looked better ! As for movies, streaming or MKV rips from aUSB stick and a pair of mini-monitors are all I need.

Sterling1, SandAndGlass and Bill like this.
  23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Not sure what your attraction to the Bitforst is/was. There are definitely better sounding DACs out there than the Oppo. I don't know if the Bitfrost is one of them or not though.

One DAC which definitely sounds better (IMO), is the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. But these are not cheap.

SandAndGlass and Bill like this.
  24. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

another plus for the 103d or plain 103- they have the right chipset to rip SACDs!

The Pinhead, TarnishedEars and Bill like this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. So the 1100ES has stereo analogue outputs is what I have read. Therefore it will play say the stereo layer of an sacd and send it via those stereo analogue outputs to my Arcam 9 amp. I shall visit a hi fi shop (there are a few left) and see if I can get to look at one. It would be nice to have a backup for my Oppo 103 as Oppo are now second hand only (and expensive).

Thanks to all to replying.