Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree when something is working well why tempt fate. Unfortunately one can not revert back to previous firmware versions once an official update is done. One could revert back to the previous firmware when beta updates were done but not with official versions.

scottc1963 likes this.
  2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Weird.

Also weird. I think.

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That's my issue with Oppo's update model, and why I turned-off my Oppo updates several years ago. By contrast, this is one of the things which I like best about PS Audio's model of allowing you to upgrade or downgrade your firmware version at will.

I wonder if it is possible overwrite a recent Oppo firmware update with an older beta update, if one can even get your hands on an old beta update...

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I do not believe the OPPO self updates, it only notifies you there is one available.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe this is true. But always best to err on the side of caution and turn off firmware notifications.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Agreed but just pointing this out. An dif not directly hooked up to internet, then it wont update either.

Audiowannabee and tmtomh like this.
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Re: gapless loss. Have you done the usual- clear persistent storage and do a player reset?

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Exactly. Doing this keeps you from accidentally clicking "OK" to any of the update notifications.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Gapless working again on it’s own :shrug:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Which, unfortunately is not always the case.

11. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I need some help. I have my 205 connected to my home network via WIFI and can access my music files from my desktop computer (Windows based) through the OPPO network function. The problem is the tracks for each artist and album are playing in alphabetical order instead of track number order. Can anyone be of help? THANKS much!

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

You will have to rename the files and add a track number to the beginning. Or I would recommend setting up a music server on the PC. I use Plex, it is free for that particular use and works great for both audio and video. A third option, and an even better option in my opinion, is to pick up a Firestick 4K on Black Friday for $25 and run Kodi on it with the PlexKodiConnect add on and stream your music from the Plex server. Leaps and bounds better than the layout of the Oppo network playback option.

13. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

MUCH OBLIGED SIR! Thanks very much!!

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean here. All 3 USB A ports will play gapless from a thumb drive or an external hard drive. The USB B input will depend entirely on what it is fed from your computer's audio program; if it (iTunes, JRiver or whatever) is set up to play gapless then it will. If this is not your experience you are doing something wrong, because it works like this for me every day. And there is no gapless play at all over a network, unfortunately.

Ken E. likes this.
  15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I do get gapless from PC to OPPO via usb in stereo, but not multi-channel. iTunes is set to gapless and so is OPPO. Network does not do gapless.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    JediJoker likes this.
  16. MoFo

MoFo New Member

Truly sorry to see you guys go. I still own one of your Blu-ray players and it is my go to player. Quality built products backed by excellent customer service. That combination is increasingly hard to find. Take care.

17. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

One more thing, I have not attempted gapless from multi-channel with usb ports on rear in about two years. I will download Foobar 2000 onto laptop and connect to OPPO and see what happens.

18. knish

knish Forum Resident

Subject: 1080p Oppo BD Player for Best Slo Mo, Zoom & Analog Audio SQ?

Now that crucial parts to fix my Cambridge 650BD player's chronic disc reading error problem are unavailable I need an Oppo BD player that has wide range slow motion and zoom control of DVDs.

I thought of the Oppo 95, which allows multi slow and fast speed video playback (muted sound) and multi mag views of DVDs.

Doing the same with BDs would be a VERY BIG plus!

And though I may end up feeding the player’s HDMI audio to an HT processor, having excellent analog surround sound or at least stereo sound quality is required.

Important! Strangely, for now I need to use this player with a 32” CRT TV, and it only has composite and S-video inputs. None of the newest Oppo players have either, so would I get decent video by connecting one of these?

https://www.gefen.com/product/hdmi-c...I-2-COMPSVIDSN

or this one? https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/store...VSC-HDMI-VIDEO

Please help me select the best Oppo player for my needs.

19. Hymie the Robot

Quality 32 inch TVs with HDMI connection are cheap...

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I finally had to replace my Roku MHL device that I was using in my OPPO 105. Netflix would no longer play movies and Amazon Prime was super slow. Anyone have suggestions to get the OPPO remote to work with the newer Roku sticks?

21. Hymie the Robot

Harmony hub remotes work great. Most sticks don't use IR remotes so you will need something other than an Oppo player remote.

22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I think its about time I retire my OPPO 105...

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

if you have the OPPO app on your phone, you can just as easily install the Roku app on your phone. I’m presuming that your player is functioning perfectly well otherwise.

stereoptic likes this.
  24. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Speaking about avoiding updates upthread, I don't think we are going to have to worry about that anymore. I think they forgot about us users. Also, those of you using the oppo 205 or other model as their source for music listening, where do you have the output volume set? I used to set it to fixed. I am second guessing that now. I set it to variable, put it at 85 and want to see if it makes a difference in the sound quality. The theory being that the fixed, which sets it at 100 is too hot for my amp's input. What do people with oppos set this at? I think they all have this feature from at least the 95 on. Maybe even earlier. I don't have an earlier model.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I use my Oppo UDP-205 (and used my Oppo BDP-105 before that) as a digital preamp, so I always have the volume set to variable, and my view is that I hear no sound degradation from changing the volume. The Oppo has a very high-res, floating-point digital volume control, and as you found out the problem of overdriving downstream analogue circuitry is more of an issue than any theoretical resolution loss from turning the Oppo's digital volume control down. I supposed if you had to keep the Oppo's volume very low - say at 15 or 20 out of 100 - then you might start to sacrifice some bit depth aka signal to noise ratio. But even then I don't know that it would be audible.