Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks Matt! Both the 103 and 105 are set to Quick Start as I'm using the Oppo Media Control app with my iPhone. In order to use the Oppo app the Standby Mode setting has to be set to Quick Start.

The Oppo Media Control app is excellent! Especially for use with my 105 which is in a small bedroom system with no display. I can access all the files on a connected hard drive and the 105's full setup menu settings. It also has a fully functional remote but I still use my Harmony 688 for that.

‎OPPO MediaControl for BDP-10x

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Time for a new SACD player for you.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have that, I got one of the nicer Marantz stereo decks and before it I had a nice Sony single-play deck that was the early 2000's, the XA-777ES, the cheaper of the two decks with 777 in the model number. It was still playing single-layer SACD's when I scrapped it but rarely could finish a CD without skipping. I really wore my 3 ES decks out. They led hard lives. It look over a decade for the first one to fall. So, I got my money's worth I suppose. The two changers were the 555ES and 222ES.....

McLover and Tullman like this.
  4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Cool! Yes, the Quick Start mode is convenient, and given how stable the players are, certainly not worth it in your case to change that setting.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Great! The drawer motor just gave out on my Oppo DVD/SACD player. What do I do now coach?

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Contact Oppo service if you can't get the disc draw to open. Did you try leaving it unplugged for awhile?

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I did. The remote was destroyed in a freak accident (bow wow) and I had to order a new one, since the player won't function without the remote, it was unplugged.
    Soon as the remote arrived I plugged it back in, now when you press the open button you hear a whiring noise along with some loud clicks.

I guess I'll give them a call, thanks for the link :tiphat:

8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I've found with my 95 the computer in the player often glitches & I have to power cycle.

Also, Oppo offers repair for a flat rate of $119 including return shipping. They've done a very good job 2x on my 2011 machine.

9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

My Sony DVP-S9000ES developed symptoms like you describe. I had a new laser module installed and it now works as it did when I bought it new back in 2000.

Rachael Bee, tmtomh and Brother_Rael like this.
  10. Rachael Bee

I'm amazed that you can get parts. I have one of those too in my closet. It's not broken but other decks that did more pushed it out of my systems. I had it out about 5 years ago and played a few discs and then put it back in the closet.

craig4755, Doug_B and McLover like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is confusing...:confused:

12. Rachael Bee

No confusion, I had two SACD players on my stereo for many years. The 222ES was still going when I replaced the XA777ES with the Marantz. When the 222ES croaked I replaced it with an Integra 6-disc changer. I would of bought another SACD changer if one had existed, new.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ahhh. I get you. You are better off with the player. I haven't seen a changer that I liked.

14. Easily usage. All lasers have a finite lifespan for their designed tolerances. A well-designed optical disc system should handle thousands and thousands of playback hours before the laser goes.

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  15. Rachael Bee

I wish I could get another SACD changer now. I don't care if they don't sound quite as good as single disc players. They were close enough. I'd get more use out of it now, now that I over 700 Sack-Dees.

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've had that happen on other brands of CD players. It was always a loose belt rather than a motor. They will sometimes slip with age.

Hamhead likes this.
  17. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I just sent my BDP-83SE off to Oppo after contacting them and getting a RMA. $99 flat rate for my model. Disc drawer problems - noisy, not opening/closing intermittently.

Hymie the Robot and tmtomh like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you thought about ripping your SACDs? I've ripped about half of my SACD library and put them on hard drives. If your SACDs were ripped you could probably setup some type of playlists to play the files as if they were in a changer. I'm a hardcore shiny disc guy and thought I'd never rip any discs or stream video (Roku). Well sure enough I'm doing both in 2021 :).

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Sweet - mine should outlast me at that rate!

20. Rachael Bee

I thought about that, then told myself nah. That sounds like work and all I wanna do is hit play. I have enough players to last myself for some while.

Sterling1 likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It really isn't that much work. I have a 103 and 205 in my main system. Listen to music with the 205 while ripping SACDs with the 103. If you do 10-20 at a time you'll have your whole SACD library ripped in no time. I can hit play for hours on end without getting up to change discs :). I have six Oppo players (83, 93, 103, 105, 203 and 205) so I should good for quite awhile as well ;).

22. Rachael Bee

I'm too lazy! I just wanna hit play.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But you have to get up to change discs. Once ripped you can sit for hours without doing nothing but pointing your remote at your player of choice. Now that's the ultimate in a low impact... low effort work out :winkgrin:!

24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'm in your camp. Hit play and enjoy. To enjoy my multi-channel hi-res FLAC downloads is about a 16 click and scroll process requiring both PC, as well as a monitor to control player, or an 8 step process from a usb drive connection to player that also includes need for monitor to control player.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know. You still have to monkey around with 5 discs at a time instead of one. Not much of a benefit, IMO. But still, if you like those things, then more power to you.

Bill Mac likes this.