Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have hundreds of multi-channel titles on my hard drives. It's not an 8 or 16 click process. By the time I walk to my media closet search out a specific title I could be already playing that title off of one of my hard drives. No PC or even a monitor needed when using the Oppo app with a 103, 105, 203 or 205. I'm still partial to shiny discs but when done right it's not that arduous to play music files.
    I agree in that a multi disc player wouldn't have much appeal to me. But if one finds it works for them then that's great. It's always good to be presented with options though.

Sterling1 and tmtomh like this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

16 actions from downloading to play of multi-channel material from a usb drive connection. After the music is in the drive a monitor is still needed unless the OPPO is already set to open on the usb drive input.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm referring to playing music already on the hard drive. Not sure if you've ever used one of the Oppo Media Control apps. But when using it one doesn't need a monitor to play files from a USB connected hard drive. The Oppo player does not need to be set to one of the USB inputs as that selection can be made by my iPhone.

If you click on the link below you'll see what the app and it's capabilities are. There are two separate Oppo Media Control apps with one for 103/105 players and one for 203/205 players. I use both and they work quite well. It's great to be able to choose music, pause or change tracks on one my Oppo players from another part of my house.

103/105 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.mediacontrol&hl=en_US&gl=US

203/205 - ‎OPPO UDP-20X MediaControl

I didn't realize there's an Oppo Media Control app for the 93/95 players.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.oremote&hl=en_US&gl=US

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Sterling1 likes this.
  4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding of the app. I recall I downloaded it but I've never used it. I will give it a whorl.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My pleasure! I don't know much about apps and the Oppo ones are described as "clunky". But using the app with my 105 in a small bedroom system without a monitor works just fine. I can also access my Tidal collection with the 103 and 105. No Tidal capability with the 203/205 though.

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

There are much more efficient ways to manage this. I can find any album cover on my server faster than from a shelf of discs (even assuming that the disc is where I think it is) and all I have to do click once to play.

Tullman, Bill Mac and superstar19 like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Been meaning to do this with my BDP-83SE. Loader is very fussy with some formats, so much so I removed it from my 2 channel rig.

tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Unfortunately my 95 has a 2tb hd limit. So I've got a million flash drives & an Excel sheet stating which music is on which drive. Works, but not real spontaneous.

9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

In the late '90s/early '00s I really liked my Sony 5-disc carousel changer. I
    A million flash drives? How many terabytes of music files do you have?

10. moomoomoomoo

I think the # for 24 bit & higher files is actually 68, ranging from 64-256 gb. Another 45 or so for cd files. + 3-4 redundant backups of everything on hard drives.

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Well at least you have 2 USB inputs available which will allow total access to 4TB of music at any one time

12. moomoomoomoo

True. Until I catch up with the remaining 28 Flash Drives, I try to play the drives in order so I will hear everything once (Not sure if I have enough years left; + I have a ton of unplayed cd files & movies).

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just wanted to revisit this post as Oppo service emailed me and also suggested...

Try setting the setting to Energy Efficient and then do a power cycle and see if the issue persists. We are aware of anomalies with using Quick Start because the player is never fully off, and we do recommend doing an Energy Efficient power cycle periodically if using the Quick Start setting.

I set my 103 to Energy Efficient and hopefully it'll correct the issues I've been having with my 103.

So Matt's suggestion was right on the money... thanks again :)!

Simon A, SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have my 205 connected to an analog preamp for audio and HDMI to my display. I was wondering if there is a way to find out the resolution of the disc that is playing. I'm playing a Blu-ray from Neil Young's Archive Vol. I box set. The resolution is 192/24 on all of the Blu-rays but thought it'd be nice to know that the 205 is playing the disc at 192/24. When I hit the Audio button it shows "English LPCM Stereo" but no resolution. Thanks!

*An update on the issue I was having with my 103 (previous post). Since setting my 103 to Energy Efficient it has only had one minor issue of freezing up. A simple power off and power back solved the issue. Quite an improvement over almost daily issues when the 103 was set to Quick Start.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

As far as I know, the Oppo's show what the manufacturer "wrote" on the digital disc information, as opposed to a player like VLC that actually analyses what's on the disc. I can tell you the download shows as 192/24 on all my pc programs that actually read & report on the actual audio. Unless they f'd up the blu-rays, I suspect they are also 192/24.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As far as the Neil Young Archives Vol. I Blu-rays I'm sure they're 192/24. When using HDMI to my Emotiva XMC-1 it will display the resolution of audio from my 103 or 205. But when using analog from the 205 to a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamp there's no display capability on the STP-SE to show resolution.

17. moomoomoomoo

Do you have access to a pc with a blu-ray player?

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No I do not. It's not a big deal as if I really wanted to know the resolution of a specific title I can switch to HDMI. Thanks!

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

pressing the "info" button usually displays the PCM bit depth and sampling rate in the lower left corner of the screen

cnolanh and Rycherocker634 like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! The issue was with my Harmony remote and they way I programmed it. The wrong command was entered for the Info button. Once corrected the proper display is showing all the disc information.

21. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yep, they are- my rips are 192/24

22. moomoomoomoo

My earlier responses were assuming that you were already pressing the info button on the remote.
    I always have the HDMI cable connected to a TV using the audio off through HDMI setting, & listen in analog mode.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  23. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I have the same experience with my 105, most important improvement for me is the stability of streaming Tidal through the Oppo Media Control app. It use to freeze often but not anymore since I switched to Energy Saver mode. I don't think it's a coincidence.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't think the Oppo Media Control app would work with the 103 or 105 set to Energy Efficent mode?

25. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Obviously it was not updated in ages and not up to high standards now, but it is much more stable for me with Energy Efficient mode.