Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Ok. But are you using the Oppo Media Control for Tidal with your 105 set to Energy Efficient mode?

2. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Yes.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Ok... thanks.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just had an odd issue with my 205. I was playing a DSD file of a ripped SACD off of HD. At each track change the relay(s) would click which is normal when starting or stopping an SACD or DSD file with the 205. It never happened before between tracks or when fast forwarding which was also happening. I tried playing an SACD and the same thing was happening. I powered off the 205 and pulled the power cord for 10-15 minutes. I plugged the power cord back in powered up the 205 and all is good :).

It still amazes me that a simple "reboot" of gear such as the 205 can solve issues that seem like they'd be in need of service. I recently had a volume control issue with my Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. The volume was stuck at a fairly loud level even when turned to "0" and the mute function did not work either. By powering off the STP-SE and leaving the power cord unplugged for 20-30 minutes it corrected the issue. The key was to leave the STP-SE unplugged for the 20-30 minutes as an earlier quick 2-3 minute unplugging did not work.

Wanted to post this so that anyone that has a weird quirk with a piece of gear that has any type of micro processor or similar control could try unplugging it for awhile. I'm sure unplugging will not always work but definitely worth a shot.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thanks Bill, great advice!

JorgeGvb, Tullman, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  6. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I had a similar experience with odd behavior by my 205. Everything over headphones had a soundstage that sounded off balance to one side. Vocals that would be dead center on other gear would be skewed to one channel. Oppo advised doing a factory reset and it worked. Haven't had the issue since. Never know what gremlins have been doing tinkering with our gear!!

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Was that a factory reset from the setup menu or an "unplug-and-plug-for-30-minutes" reset?

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's great the factory reset did the trick. Always best to save the players settings to a USB stick before doing a factory reset. The Backup Settings option is in the Device Setup portion of the Setup Menu. It's on page 75 of the 205 manual.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It's amazing how many things that the unplug and reset ritual works for! Even my 1980's Jr. Pacman machine....if the sound goes out, unplug and back it comes. I fix things by unplugging them quite often.

gd0 likes this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Good advice, Bill! All of these modern units are basically computers, but they (appropriately) use simpler operating systems, slower processors, and much less RAM than conventional, full-featured computers. So they can easily crash, or partially crash, or gradually lose performance speed, or get corrupted settings, or run out of RAM due to memory leaks and such. And unlike a conventional computer, we have almost no way of figuring out what's going on, since the operating system it more or less entirely inaccessible to us. Given that even the most stable modern computer can benefit from a reboot every few weeks or months, I am actually quite astonished that computer-based audio and video components don't need to be turned off and on more frequently than they do.

BrettyD and gd0 like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I had to unplug my smart tv the other day. It stopped streaming. After turning the tv back on it worked fine.

12. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I now have my OPPO-205 connected via HDMI to my laptop, where I have movies stored in my iTunes Library, Yesterday I played a movie in my iTunes library to the OPPO and I got the multi-channel experience expected, I am hopping that next month when Apple Music presents Spatial Audio (Dolby ATMOS) that I will get the multi-channel experience from iTunes on laptop to OPPO via HDMI as I am getting it from movies in iTunes, since I do not have an HDMI Pre-Pro.

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Unplugging is the new kicking.

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree:

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd be hesitant even back in the day to giving my 205 a kick in the back(side) panel ;). Although I have kicked and thrown less expensive items over the years. Unplugging is also much easier on ones feet.

16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If it is like Tidal, PCs won't be supported. Luckily there is at least one workaround (for Tidal).

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Unplugging has been the new kicking in the computer arena for decades. It's just made its way into audio more recently. :)

18. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I have to reboot my 95 aprox 1-2 times weekly to deal with a processor freeze.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Might want to send your 95 to Oppo while they're still servicing players. You could also contact them first to see if there is anything you can do to stop the issue.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

chili555 and ben_wood like this.
  20. moomoomoomoo

Thanks, I've already had it in twice (blown power supply & fried blu-ray decoder board). I think it's a "nature of the beast" issue.

21. audiomixer

Will a factory reset on my Oppo 103 still have the latest firmware or does it go all the way back?

22. moomoomoomoo

Good ?, but the latest fw should be available for download.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's to bad that you've had those issues with your 95. Still might be worth contacting Oppo to see if they have any idea on what's causing that issue.
    The firmware will stay the same when doing a factory reset as far as I know. The only way that one could go back to a previous firmware with Oppo players was if the firmware was a beta version being tested.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. audiomixer

Thank you!

25. moomoomoomoo

Good point. Oppo has repeatedly stated that the machines do not allow you to revert to older firmware. I have the ISO friendly 95 firmware, & both times I've sent the machine in, I've been very clear, "DON'T UPDATE THE FIRMWARE". And that's been followed.

SandAndGlass likes this.