Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes but not via DLNA. Since you have a 205 why not experiment with it?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Good to know. I don't see any point in buying a 105 (assuming one already has a 95) in that case. Hopefully 205's will get reasonably priced eventually. Or I'll start haunting pawn shops again if Covid ever goes away.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If Onkyo (or whoever imports Pioneer electronics to the USA today) ever decides to bring in the 500 and 800 universal players that could be a more cost-effective option (and with better video quality if that is a consideration)

Steve356 likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

The sound is comparable to an Oppo? I have an older Pioneer (region free DVD, SACD) DV-578A & while it's always worked perfectly, the sound is mediocre.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I thought the sound quality of my Pioneer (I think their first universal player, the 47A) was lacking as well. I was surprised how much better the much less expensive Sony CE595 carousel CD/SACD player sounded when playing SACDs, despite the Sony having a list price around 25% of the Pioneer. The Denon 2910 also bested the Pioneer.

C.Ludwig and moomoomoomoo like this.
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The Pioneer Elite line is a few steps up from the normal Pioneer stuff. The UDP LX500 and LX800 are excellent if you can get one. AFAIK there are only a handful of 500's in the US, and fewer if any 800's (a dealer near me has one he is not parting with). No current Sony's are even close for sound quality (and probably not picture quality either). Panasonic may have a competitor, I haven't heard one, and it doesn't play DVD-A.

GerryO likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That would be a non starter for me.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The 47A was from Pioneer's Elite line.

As for Panasonic, their players that play any high-resolution discs play DVD-Audio discs. It's SACD playback compatibility that Panasonic always lacks.

C.Ludwig and tmtomh like this.
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm not sure what part of your post is true, if any, but you have not been keeping up with the times. Although it is counterintuitive, Panasonic BDP's no longer play DVD-A but Sony's do (although they don't play all DVD-A's, for some reason)

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, then Panasonic's players don't play any high resolution discs apart from blu-ray audio. Not really worth including in a discussion about alternatives to Oppo since one of Oppo's main draws was the ability to play everything.

C.Ludwig and Audiowannabee like this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

I'm afraid if there's ever a true Oppo alternative, it's going to be a $6,000 boutique brand.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Agree. The unique thing about the higher-end, 05 series of Oppo players is the combination of SACD/DVD-A capability, high-quality built-in DAC with analogue outputs, and asynchronous USB DAC input. This combination allows several helpful use cases, including:
    • SACDs playable in pure DSD (not PCM conversion) because the SACD disc transport and the DAC are inside the same box, so there are no copy protection issues or device-compatibility issues that force PCM conversion of SACDs.
    • USB DAC functionality allows one to use the DAC and analogue output circuitry inside the Oppo unit with pretty much any digital source device (like streamers), making the Oppo not only a disc player and digital source, but also a digital preamp providing input-switching and a single high-quality volume control for all your digital sources.
    These features are certainly not needed by everyone, but for those of us who value them, they made the Oppo '05 units distinctive (not unique, but almost unique) in the marketplace.

13. moomoomoomoo

Agreed. Plus the best looking video I have ever experienced. I so wish they would have tried doubling the price to $2500 before throwing in the towel. They had a market share all to themselves. A dealer told me the entire issue was the units were under priced to be profitable for the manufacturer.

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

The thing that made OPPOs special was the software engineering, and the close relationship those OPPO engineers had with the Mediatek engineers. Given the way the market is today, it seems unlikely anyone can devote those kind of resources in the future.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The $5500 McIntosh universal player comes close.

16. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Hi guys –

I'm thinking of replacing my (very) old Pioneer BPD-LX91, a flagship in its day. My emphases will be DVD and Blue-Ray, and, if possible, region-free, at least for DVD. I don't care about extreme high-definition, nor is CD playback an important consideration.

So, I have been thinking about a used Oppo, along the lines of a used 103D. Would that be a sensible choice given my preferences, or are there other models that I should put into the mix?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It appears it lacks DVD-A capability, and I think it also lacks the kind of digital input that would allow it to be used as an external DAC. I could be mistaken about the latter.

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Meanwhile, this isn't too far different...

https://www.reavon.com/reavon-ubr-x200

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There is little (probably no) doubt that the current generation of hi-end BD players, in particular the Panasonic BD-UP9000 (at $1000 MSRP), surpass the video quality of the 4+ year old BDP-203/205. That doesn't mean they are replacements for the Oppo 205, they certainly are not. What it does potentially mean is that it is possible to design and build a true universal player that would be better than the Oppo 205 at a not outrageous (e.g., under $2k for sure) price. I have no idea what it might take to have that happen, but here is something that comes close (lacking multi-channel analog audio outputs, lower line Sabre DAC) with better video quality (not the highest priority in this thread)

Specification | UDP-LX800 | Blu-ray Disc Players/DVD Players | Products | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

UDP-LX800 | Blu-ray Disc Players/DVD Players | Products | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, very similar - but still no Async USB DAC input like the Oppo 105 and 205 had. Otherwise, though, it seems almost identical functionally to the Oppo 05 series - and you can still use the Reavons as an external DAC, I believe, by making use of the coax and optical inputs.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Not sure which device you're referring to, but the McIntosh MVP901 Audio Video Player appears to support SACD, DVD-Audio, and Blu-Ray.

And the photo of the back of the device appears to have coaxial, optical, and USB inputs for using it as a DAC.

tmtomh and NorthSidePark like this.
  23. NorthSidePark

NorthSidePark Forum Resident

@CraigVC - Thanks for clearing up the misinformation on the McIntosh MVP901.

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As it happens, their BD84 handles DSD. And it's a £60 supermarket affair.

Specs - DMP-BD84 Blu-ray - Panasonic Caribbean

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I think when I Googled it the first results that came up muse have been the MCD350, which also is $5500 but is an SACD/CD player. My bad - sorry!

CraigVC likes this.