Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

My only disappointment about the OPPO-205's usb B DAC is it does not route to a subwoofer, i.e. 2.1. I used to have iTunes from PC connected to the usb DAC up sampling to 24/192 but now I have the PC connected to my Parasound P6 usb DAC which does output to .1.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Reavon seem a good unit. Wonder how Redbook sounds in the flagship in comparison to the Oppo UDP-205--that's my biggest disappointment of that unit. The Reavon doesn't seem to have an HDMI in either, which I find very useful: I run my Apple TV audio into that via a splitter and can play that audio through the stereo system.

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yep, it happens. The important thing is that we've established that McIntosh MVP901 is a viable option for the "what is comparable to replacing Oppos" conversation ... if price is not part of the conversation.

And honestly, if my Oppos (I have two: 105D and 205) crap out some time in the next 10 years, and the McIntosh MVP901 is still available to purchase, I will strongly consider it as a "last universal player I ever need to buy," assuming that the McIntosh company remains as strong and viable over the next several decades as they have been up to this point.

I'm very unimpressed - and frankly disappointed - at what I've seen so far about the Reavon players. They just don't appear built for longevity or high-quality. If I'm going to concede crap-ish quality, I might as well bring out one of the several early-generation universal players I've been keeping in storage for years (Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon).

Anyway, here's to another 20+ trouble-free years with my Oppos!

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, that's the one.
    • Disc Formats
      Blu-ray, DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio
    It has a USB input on the front panel, that I like. Also, McIntosh is likely to be around for awhile, so support should be available. Not a bad option. I'm already committed to my full blown Modwright/oppomod 205. I wonder if I would have better off going for the McIntosh. Certainly, the McIntosh is a better option if one is paying the exorbitant prices for the 205 on ebay.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm all in on the 205, and I expect it to last me forever. I don't use the drive that much. I'm a vinyl first guy. For those of us that have the 105/205 modded, and compliment that with NOS tubes, we are close to the cost of the McIntosh. It would be interesting to do a comparison. I plan on comparing my modded 205 with my Esoteric K-05 on cd/sacd playback. The modded 105 did not sound better than the K-05, which is why I don't use the 105 for cd/sacd playback.

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Now are you able to enjoy Apple Music's Spatial Audio via the Apple TV HDMI connection to the OPPO?

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I Googled McIntosh MVP901 and did not see any places listed from where one could be bought. The MSRP is a bit steep at $5500 and I wonder if it performs that much better than the 205 to justify the cost.

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You can order your MVP901 from Natural Sound in Framingham MA.:winkgrin:
    Here's the hitch. The 205's are no longer available and long term support is not likely. Buying 205's on ebay will cost so much that buying the McIntosh could be justified. Looking at the McIntosh specs, it seems like the DAC compliment is superior to the Oppo.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

If audio isn't super important, the 103 should be a good choice. There are region free DVD only software kits last time I looked for under $20 on eBay

Tony C. likes this.
  10. NorthSidePark

NorthSidePark Forum Resident

On the McIntosh Home Page, select the Dealers tab.

McIntosh: Home Audio Equipment for Stereo and Home Theater Systems

11. moomoomoomoo

McIntosh MVP90:

Looked it up. Intriguing. Right now I don't have $5k, but I may at some point. Does anyone know if it will go region free with a hack & if it plays SACD iso's?

12. moomoomoomoo

Same questions on the Reavon; + what's the price in the USA?

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The Reavon 200 is listed at US$1699

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  14. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

The McIntosh doesn’t play ultra HD blu ray discs and making it region free is not readily available from what I understand. Nor does it have digital inputs apart from usb for connecting a storage device.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

Thank you. Very interested in reviews.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Don't most current storage devices have usb connections. Of course there are adapters that will work. Still...for $5500, it should have an optical and coaxial input.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If I was going to order one it'd be in NH to avoid the sales tax ;). But in all honesty I have no interest in the McIntosh as I'm quite happy with the 105. Just recently sold my 205 as I'm focusing more and more on outdoor activities.

18. moomoomoomoo

To repeat myself, I so wish I'd had $1299 when they did the last press run of 205's.

19. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Thank you!

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, I agree it would've been an appealing feature. At first I thought that McIntosh MVP901 had digital inputs (aside from USB), but now after going through the manual, it's clear that all the optical/coaxial/HDMI are outputs.

21. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Yes, my 203 also has this problem. I really wanted it to work, and I don’t know if any way to solve this. The sun is really missed now.

Sterling1 likes this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

For that money 4K capability should have been included too.
    Maybe in their next (even more expensive) model.......

23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'm not sure; but, seems the only way to solve would be to deliver RCA or balanced stereo output from the OPPO to an active sub with crossover/filters which outputs to mains. My sub is passive JBL B380 so I can not do that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't even notice that the McIntosh MVP901 doesn't play UHD Blu-ray discs. That puts the Oppo 105 as more of a comparison to the MVP901 than the 205. One can find a 105 for well under $1000 quite easily. The fact that Oppo will eventually stop servicing players is a factor but I'd rather keep $4500 in my pocket :winkgrin:.

To pay $5500 for a player that's doesn't even have the ability to play UHD Blu-ray discs makes the 205 more appealing even at the current high prices. Add to that the lack 5.1 analog output, HDMI input, digital inputs (optical and coaxial) and who knows what else from an operational stand point the MVP901 doesn't seem so appealing IMO.

Was just looking at the MVP901's owners manual. On page 16 and 17 it shows images of the MVP901's setup menu. It looks just like the menu of Oppo players. Interesting ;).

McIntosh MVP901 Audio Video Player

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Linger63, tmtomh and Sterling1 like this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't know, I don't use/haven't used that. Probably it will work quite well. As I don't enjoy the Redbook cd sound that much I use the Oppo for DVR via optical in (24/96 upsampled from a Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker--great sound--apart from TV shows I listen to the Spectrum jazz channel and my wife to the "soundscapes" channel), DVD and Blu-ray and DVD and Blu-Ray Audio discs of which I have a good supply.

Sterling1 likes this.