Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

No

From the User Manual.......

Gapless Play: Enable Gapless Playback mode.
    "This feature supports APE, WAV, and FLAC files stored on an external USB drive"

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

But not over network, unfortunately.

marcb, Sterling1 and tmtomh like this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No gapless with DSD files (SACD rips) from Western Digital HDs with the 205 or 105.

GLYNSTYLER and tmtomh like this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Despite the few limitations noted above, my 205's continue to act as the "Swiss Army Knives" of A/V hubs for me, and at this point it's not clear exactly how I will replace them when they (almost inevitably) fail :shake:

Sterling1, vegafleet, Tullman and 2 others like this.
  5. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

I converted my multi-channel DSD files to 88/24 flac to play gaplessly on my Oppo 203.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Alas, DLNA - or at least the inconsistency of its implementation across brands and devices - is garbage. I’ve found life much easier when feeding the Oppo’s asynchronous USB DAC input (or its optical or digital coax input) with a smart device rather than relying on the Oppo to control a “dumb” device like a USB hard drive/USB key or a DLNA server over the network.

gd0 and Sterling1 like this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

As I've said before, I will be forever kicking myself for not having the money to get in on the last batch of 205's. 6 months later, I had the money, but no units left..............

vegafleet likes this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

I just plug the USB device directly into the Oppo 95 & leave pc's 100% out of the listening experience. I only have 2 unresolved issues:

1. a fairly quiet ground loop that nothing seems to fix. Only happens with the Oppo, & using a ground lift has no impact.

2. Lack of gapless file playback (BDP-95).

9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OPPO-205:

Network connection is stereo and multi-channel and is not gapless.

usb B DAC, and optical/coaxial S/PDIF inputs are stereo and gapless.

usb drive inputs (2) on back panel and (1) on front panel are stereo and multi-channel connections and are gapless.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

As I mentioned in a post on this thread in late August, I am able to play flac files gaplessly on the Oppo 205 from my QNAP NAS via the SMB interface (but not DLNA interface) that my NAS exposes on my network.

rbbert and tmtomh like this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

I don't see ever having my 95 connected to a network. That's just me.

Sterling1 likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

WD 2tb hard drives connected to the 105 or 205 USB inputs (front or back) are not gapless when playing DSD files (SACD rips).

scobb likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the Oppo 103 which does everything I need it to but I have no back up machine that does all the same namely usb input and blu-ray.
    My hi res portable Pioneer XDP 02U will play loads of different files including dsf (sacd) and will do this gapless. Oppo 103 no gapless for dsf files via usb input. I am still looking for a new machine that will play all the files like the Pioneer and play blu-ray, dvd audio discs and sacds.

14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Good info but what about the HDMI input?

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

That's interesting, my 5.1 FLAC downloads from Acoustic Sounds of the Seattle Symphony's performance of the Firebird are gapless, via usb c connection, which they must be for continuity of movements. Also, these downloads copied to data disc play gaplessly.

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Although I have on occasion connected my laptop to my OPPO-205's HDMI input to watch movies in my iTunes Library, the only time I used the connection for music was to play a 5.1 FLAC file residing in Foobar 2000. The file played gaplessly as it had from thumb drive, as well as data disc. That file would not play gaplessly from network connection to the OPPO,

Linger63 likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's with FLAC files which will play gaplessly. I was referring to DSD files that are rips from SACDs that are not converted to FLAC.

Sterling1 and tmtomh like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Re my Oppo 103. All flac files on a usb (or using the usb input) will play via gapless. I don't think aiff files will though and certainly dsf files will not.

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

AIFF, WAV and ALC all play gaplessly on my 105 in this scenario.

20. Flaming Torch

Thanks I will give them all a try on the 103. I would imagine I am wrong as most of my files are flac or dsf.

21. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Yup, thought about buying a spare 203 ….. unfortunately thinking never actually progressed to buying. Sigh!

22. Flaming Torch

The real shame for me is that 1. Oppo do not makes these players anymore and 2. I really cannot find a player at the same sort of price point to match the 103 or 205 etc. The Oppo 103 played nearly everything although I could not get it to play an MKV video file.

23. moomoomoomoo

The 95 plays most mkv's other than H265.

24. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

That was the fastest and best experience I ever had with any company with any type of repair service.

My Oppo 95's disc tray was having difficulty opening for a while then it went kaput and wouldn't play any disc.

Got in touch with Oppo, made the service request, sent it to them, the case got a little damaged in transit (I didn't double box, I knew better but it is quite light to receivers I thought, etc, my fault, never again)

They offered a new top case for $30...WOW, no brainer. Yes please!

They did work on the video board.

Sent it back in a brand new Oppo 95 Box with OG literature. DOUBLE WOW!

They had it less than a week then sent it right back with mandatory signature acceptance at the door.

MIND BLOWN!

THANK YOU OPPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dtyndall, JorgeGvb, brucej4 and 17 others like this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

I've had very good experiences with them too.