Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Amazing, good luck finding other companies with that type of commitment to customer service.

stevef, SamS and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Now if only the repair folks would buy the rights to manufacture new units!

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So true. A few companies I've dealt with that have great customer service are Rythmik and Salk. Both are quick to respond to email inquiries in regard to service or product related questions. Oppo is still easily the best I've ever dealt with in the many years of buying audio and video gear.
    That'd be great but it's not going to happen.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I remember reading that the Oppo guys tried finding another manufacturer to produce their universal players. No one was interested. Probably, just not enough of a market.

scobb likes this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

That's unreal, considering what the used ones are actually being sold for (purchases) on ebay.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did not know that. As much as there is premium for the 203 and 205 there probably isn't a big enough market as you stated. Besides interest on sites like SH and AVS would players like Oppo really sell that well. I wonder how Oppo sales numbers were at Best Buy (Magnolia) stores.

7. moomoomoomoo

Everyone on eBay is selling; and the 200 series are often selling used for $2500-$4000. So I do believe there is a market.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 203s are not selling for $2500-$4000. As much as the 205 is an excellent player there's no way I'd pay $4000 for one. There is a market for used Oppos due to them not being produced anymore. But for a company to resume the production of universal players like Oppo not so much in this day and age of streaming. How many players is Reavon selling? That would be the $60k question and it'll be interesting to see how long Reavon stays in the UHD Blu-ray player market.

I rarely play a Blu-ray videos with any of my Oppo players. If it wasn't for my large collection of DVD-As and SACDs I'd have no need for a universal player. So if the large majority of those that even play Blu-rays these days only need a Blu-ray player why would there be a market for universal players like Oppo?

The universal player market is a niche market and even more so in this day and age of video and music streaming. Of course I wish Oppo stayed in the universal player market. But it is what it is and I'm going to be realistic about the chances that Oppo would resume production. Those chances are next to zero but man would I love to be proven wrong. I'll be one of those first in line for the new Oppo 305 ;).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  9. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Well, I paid ~$650 for a lightly used 103D, and, with a simple modification, am able to enjoy Blue-Ray and DVD region-free, with very high quality results. So, as one of those who doesn't really care about the "Universal player" aspect, I am happy to tap into the used OPPO market.

Of course I am talking about a machine that sells for a fraction of the prices of the 203 and 205.

ispace, Audiowannabee and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's excellent! The 103D is a great player without a doubt. I still think that you are in the minority of those looking to spend over $300 for a Blu-ray player.

I recently bought a Cambridge CXU for $460 shipped and it's a real nice sounding player. Many CXU owners feel that it sounds better (analog) than the 105. I have yet to compare the CXU to my 105 but so far feel it sounds great. I was surprised to find out that the CXU also has Darbee processing. A nice bonus!

Cambridge Audio - CXU Universal Blu-ray Player | Shop Music Direct

Audiowannabee and Tony C. like this.
  11. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I am sure that you are correct!

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. moomoomoomoo

The 205 is selling for much more then the 203 because it has an audiophile quality AUDIO stage. It also sounds great on hi-res downloads through a USB stick or hard drive, which I greatly prefer to streaming. Otherwise, I believe they are identical (i.e. video). As an audiophile I personally would not buy a 93, 103 or 203.

chili555 and tmtomh like this.
  13. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yeah, I gotta believe the manufacturing requirements for Oppo to produce 203/5s on an ongoing basis require much higher production numbers than what the current existing market is for optical media players.

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  14. moomoomoomoo

As I've posted before, a local independent dealer told me the issue was Oppo was not charging enough per unit.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They sold great when closing out the 103’s. I purchased a floor model and customer return (what were they thinking?), essentially getting 2 for the price of 1.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Im sure a 205 sounds great however my 203 n 103d sounds great connected to my old ass pioneer avr via analogs while playing sacd bluray n dvda s. Yeah im sure the 105 n 205 sound better BUT to say that 103 or 203 is not worthy to play music cuz its not "audiophile" is just complete ********

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

True, as the optical disc market dwindles every year. And just as important, the chip shortage would have a tremendous impact on a small volume manufacturer like OPPO Digital. The decoder (especially) and other specialized chips would get moved to the back of the queue in today's world, or may simply be discontinued by the chip maker completely.

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I reckon the Oppo 103/203 would be great choices for use as a universal transport.
    Add a quality external DAC of your choice and you're (very) good to go....:agree:

FWIW I run an Gustard X26Pro DAC with my Oppo 205 to good effect.:righton:

Soundslave likes this.
  19. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Likewise. The Reavon 200 seems like a reasonable comparison to the 203, and it’s $1,700. Seems like Reavon is catering to the relatively small ‘enthusiast’ crowd and doesn’t expect to sell a ton of units.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, now that product is no longer available. I've got a pair of Oppo's they should last me for the duration.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You can’t compare supply and demand curves for primary and secondary markets.

SamS, Doug_B and ispace like this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

I recently bought an expensive Sony TV, only to find out (this is all over the net, but I didn't think to look) that Sony TV's don't play well with Oppo's. The retailer is a jerk; Sony 3rd world cs is clueless, & without a vehicle that the TV will fit in, I'm trying to figure out WTF to do.

23. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

What's the problem? I have an Oppo 203 connected to a Sony X900H. Granted it's via a Yamaha RX-V6A.

24. moomoomoomoo

Lots of picture issues. Purple screen & white screen with static on disc start up, & intermittent 2 seconds of black screen on blu-ray. After wrestling with it for quite while & trying 4 HDMI cables & letting Sony remotely control the TV, I'm about to give up.

Again, I learned through Google search last night I am not alone. Oppo BDP-95 through HDMI to Sony KD-55X85J.

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

FWIW.......
    Oppo UDP-205 through HDMI to Sony A80J 65 with no issues.
    You sure you have all settings on all gear correct?

dtyndall likes this.