Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Is it an HDMI 2.x unit? That apparently would make a large positive impact paired with my TV?

2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Same basic specs as the 103D/105D OPPO. It’s pretty much an OPPO with a modded audio section. Downside is the remote and no superb repair service that OPPO still offers.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

OPPO STILL doesnt reply to my emails about geting my BDP-83 fixed!

4. moomoomoomoo

Could it be a spam folder issue? They've replied to me every time I've written them, even just with ?'s about my 95.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I’ve never not received a response to Oppo (OT Services). Most responses were within hours even several times on the weekend.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

Bummer,

My recently restored Oppo 95 from the factory is now kaput again.

I threw out the OG box they sent it back in thinking I'm good to go.

Won't play a Disc, or open and close the tray again. Have to power off to get the disc out again.

So Bummed, I love(d) this player.

7. moomoomoomoo

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I love mine also. They do waranty their repairs for 1 year. It may be worth reaching out to them.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As it happens no it's not basically an Oppo with a modded audio section. The only thing it shares with Oppo is the Mediatek platform both companies used to avoid them having to build their own bespoke video hardware for their players. That's it. Here's a quick summary from Home Theatre Review for the then 751BD that goes into some detail:-

"Oppo doesn't make the platform from which their universal players are based; they get it from Mediatek, an OEM company that also happens to supply Cambridge Audio. So while the Lexicon may have been an adaptation of the Oppo BDP-93, the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD (751BD) reviewed here is not."

"...they both use the Mediatek chipset, which grants them the ability to be compatible with all audio/video formats. This in turn means that some of the menus, connection options and controls are going to be similar between the two brands - though it does not mean they're the same or that one is merely a re-badge of the other."

Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD Blu-ray Universal Player Reviewed - HomeTheaterReview

With that in mind you might as well say that both of them are modded Mediatek units!

So, same somebody else's video section and everything else is Cambridge's.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    CraigVC and tmtomh like this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

So which one sounds better & which one has a better picture? Can the Cambridge be modded to be region free? Play Iso's?

10. Brother_Rael

What is one person's audio preference over another is a personal taste issue, and I've not heard both so can't say. I can say the 752BD still sounds terrific to me today as it did when I first set it up in 2014. My reply was to the oft-appearing "it's a modded Oppo" line that you hear fairly often. It's not and for the reasons shown.

If you were to check some reviews at the time (and I checked plenty), you'd find there's not a whole lot of difference audio-wise. Video playback these days is pretty impressive no matter what you buy IMO - my first Blu-ray player was a near entry level Sony (BDP-S370) and the picture quality was fantastic. For a £100 or so machine.

The Cambridge - certainly up to the 752 - will rip SACDs. It's already region-free for DVDs, so I assume you mean for Blu-ray, in which case, you'd be better to check with a tech who's done that work or on here, or on one of the other forums.

moomoomoomoo and tmtomh like this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have a 103 and 105 and one of the wireless adapters is not working. Oppo does not have any listed in their store. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket alternative to the stock Oppo wireless adapter? I saw a thread over at the QuadrophonicQuad forum that said a Ralink RT5370 wireless adapter would work well. Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Adapter-150Mbps-Set-Top-Raspberry/dp/B01KWQAQ00?th=1

12. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent... thanks for the link!

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The wireless adapter arrived today and works fine. Connected to wifi quickly and ripped an SACD without issue. Oppo responded to my email inquiry about the wireless adapter today and suggested a similar one to the one I bought on Amazon. As usual Oppo responded quickly and gave an in-depth reply that was very helpful.

I just emailed Oppo thanking them for their help and they replied a few minutes later. So I don't understand why some say that Oppo doesn't respond to their emails.

The one Oppo suggested - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWQAQ00/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_E8iwCbAT6DCJZ?th=1

The one I bought as it shipped sooner -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TCA2EM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Hymie the Robot and Reese like this.
  15. moomoomoomoo

I so wish they'd get rid of the cell phones & start doing what they do best: making the most thorough universal player on the market!

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Doubt that will happen on both fronts. I'd guess there's much more of a profit with cell phones.

The Beave likes this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

It's just so weird that I've NEVER seen a single add for Oppo phones in the USA, nor do I know a single person who owns one.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I haven't either. But maybe eventually Oppo will market their cell phones in the US.

Oppo Smartphones - SIM Free & Unlocked

19. Brother_Rael

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Why are we talking bout OPPO smartphones?

When GE stopped making incandescent light bulbs, did we think that petitioning GE Aviation would help bring them back?

Billy Budapest and marcb like this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

There's a big difference. Incandescent light bulbs are now illegal in the USA. Oppo blu-ray players are not.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Then let's pick CRT TVs. Would you petition (or be annoyed with) GE Capital to bring back CRT televisions?

Billy Budapest and marcb like this.
  23. moomoomoomoo

There is a need for something similar to the 205. Used ones are selling QUICKLY & REGULARLY for $3-5k. It was $1250 new. I can't believe another company hasn't made a version. Apparently Cambridge is close; I'd like to read a thorough quality & format comparison. Afaik, the Cambridge doesn't have the $100 multi region hack or the ability to play iso's.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Reavon is making universal players but not at the level Oppo did. Cambridge Audio is no longer making universal players as far as I know. I think the desire to play Blu-ray ISOs is a pipe dream in a new universal player. I know it's something you would like but you need to realize it's not going to happen.

Probably best to let it go along with your campaign to bring back Oppo players. Neither are going to happen IMO. No offense but just being honest here.

The Beave and marcb like this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

SACD ISO's. BR iso's are unnecessary, most players with USB inputs will already play straight br rips.