Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would buy the 105 as that's a very fair price if it's in good shape with all original accessories and packaging. I've used 5TB Western Digital hard drives with my 105. But that's just music no video.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder if Modwright will have a look at the Magnetar.

3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I moved too slow. The $650 105 is already sold.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I noticed that as well. One of the reasons I got my Oppo's Modwrighted was the ability to use it as a DAC with a super tube power supply and output.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I need to replace my 205 soon which has gotten heavy use. I don't necessary need a universal player anymore as I mainly use my 205 for SACD/CD and streaming. I am curious about the Magnetar though.

6. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Maybe the market of ripped discs is so niche that it isnt on Hollywood's radar anymore. With streaming as king and the change in the physical media landscape, maybe the format police don't care about ISO's anymore as the studios license out their A/V remasters to the streaming networks.

marcb likes this.
  7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Anyone's Oppo 205 have trouble with the 100GB UHD discs? Mine has stumbled on a few lately.... a minty Batman Forever 4K disc just last week.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd tend to think ModWright would not deal with Magnetar. Oppo had a full presence in the US with offices and repair support. I don't see that with either Magnetar or Reavon.
    I would take the 205 any day over any of the Magnetar or Reavon players. If you're concerned about the 205 send it off to Oppo to have a full diagnostic done. Although I'm not sure if Oppo would do that without an actual issue. Worth contacting them and asking.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

Tullman likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I suspect they would for the flat fee. Have you heard the Magnetar or Reavon players? I am very curious about them.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have no experience with any Magnetar or Reavon players. I personally do not care for the build quality, lack of certain features and the prices. It just doesn't seem like many are buying them. A few owners in the Magnetar and Reavon threads over at AVS. I expected more interest. Hate to say it but I don't think either company will be around long term as Oppo was. Physical media is just not popular as it once was with streaming and all that. Just my opinion though.

11. moomoomoomoo

Audio wise, I mostly use my Oppo for 24 bit Downloads. And it has the best picture I've seen on film files, dvd & blu.

12. KeeperUSA

KeeperUSA Forum Resident

That was a good price. You can also use the 105 to rip/extract SACDs as Dsd files, so it is sought after.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

Unfortunately it's tax time so I wanted to think about it a few minutes. I did correspond with Oppo, & apparantly the only differences between the 95 & 105:

95: you can play SACD ISO's

105: you can rip SACD's, play raw DSD/DDSF & it's 3d on the video if you have a 3d tv (I don't).

They said Analog sound q should be identical to the 95.

I still would have liked it, because I think my 95 is getting close to it's 3rd trip to the repair shop.

Soundslave and KeeperUSA like this.
  14. KeeperUSA

KeeperUSA Forum Resident

I own a 95, 105, and 205. I had to recap the power supply on the 95 as two capacitors were bulging and leaking due to the heat inside, but the 105 and 205 are still going strong,

I use SACD-Rs on the 95 and loving the sacd ripping capability of the 105. Old PS3s that rip SACDs are still worth a decent amount, so the 105 is quite the player. To me the 105 sounds better than the 95 for surround music. I only use the 205 to play 4K discs.

15. KeeperUSA

KeeperUSA Forum Resident

I think the 95 gets really hot which causes the caps to bulge.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's not correct as the 105 has more features over the 95 than those you listed. The 105 has digital inputs (optical, coaxial and USB DAC), an additional rear panel USB input and an HDMI input. The 105 doesn't have a fan which the 95 has which was annoying (fan noise) when I owned one. Of course the ability to rip SACDs. I tend to doubt the 95 and 105 sound identical as far as analog SQ is concerned. But I've never directly compared the two players. There might be more but the 105 is the much better player IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rbbert likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My 205 is running perfectly.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Probably not. When I asked about the Reavon (same manufacturer) Dan had a number of reasons not to, and that probably hasn't changed. If/when Reavon/Magnetar gains some traction in the marketplace and offers customer service comparable to Oppo Digital (a key requirement) he might reconsider it

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And the 205 is a noticeable improvement over the 105 (except for the relay clicking which may bother some users, no HDCD which has an easy workaround, no SACD ripping); it offers exFAT compatibility, larger external drive capability, better audio and video circuitry

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No need to replace it IMHO. It is still better in every way than Magnetar/Reavon, and the only thing really likely to need replacing is the optical drive, of which Oppo Digital still has plenty (for a fraction of the cost of a Magnetar). Sometimes the drive can become "uncalibrated", and there is a free software fix for that (they will email you the file to run from a USB drive)

FWIW I have 2 205's in heavy use; one did need the drive replaced a year or so ago.

This Heat likes this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Sometimes my hybrid sacd discs only read the cd layer until I open and close again so I am guessing I need to replace the drive soon.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Email Oppo and see what they think

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I did. Basically if it persists they said I should I send it in. Right now it's only intermittent

24. Replacing the Oppo with one of the Reavon or Magnetar models would be a major downgrade.

The only current UHD player that might potentially be on the same level as the Oppo 205 is the Pannde player. However, it is very expensive and is cold only in Europe and Asia.

aroney likes this.
  25. They could also just send you a new drive and you could swap it out yourself. It’s a pretty easy procedure.

This Heat likes this.