Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I’ve asked this and at the time Oppo said are not selling parts. I need a optical drive for one of my 83s. They told me I’d need to send it in.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Correct. They will sell drives to Modwright but probably no one else.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I don't believe this to be true.

4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Here's the email from Oppo:

"The BDP-105 uses the same DACs as the BDP-95, so the sound will be similar if not identical. The BDP-105 supports NTFS, FAT, FAT32, and exFAT. We haven't heard of an upper limit for storage devices and the player can read USB flash drives.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OT Service, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.
    Menlo Park, CA 94025
    [email protected]"

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You would be wrong, at least about selling to Modwright; ask Oppo or Modwright. They may sell to other modifiers as well, I don't know.

My 105 does not read exFAT, nor will it catalog a portable hard drive of more than 4 TB (perhaps it will for an external HD with its own wall wart power supply). It is possible that I missed the last firmware update, I will check sometime (my 105 is not currently hooked up)

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have the deepest respect for Oppo and their support staff. The 95 and 105 use the same SABRE ES 9018 DACs but in different configurations. Several reviews I've found online seem to think the 105 does sound better than the 95. Sometimes it's worth the effort to do some searching on the net to find more diverse information.

The BDP-105 comes housed in an all-new steel chassis said to be significantly more rigid than the chassis used in previous Oppo players (including the BDP-95), and it benefits from a fan-less architecture, meaning all internal components are convection-cooled (most previous Oppos required fan-cooling). Do such seemingly small detail changes like a more rigid chassis or a fan-free design make for meaningful sonic improvements? My opinion, based on extensive comparisons between the BDP-105 and 95, is that they do. Specifically, the new player offers a noticeably more solid and “grounded” sound with quieter backgrounds, improved resolution of low-level transient and textural details, and superior three-dimensionality.

Oppo BDP-105 Universal/Blu-ray Player and DAC - The Absolute Sound

Check out SamS's thoughts below (post #6) from the thread linked below.

I have had both, at the same time. I believe I wrote some general comparisons in the big 105 thread. Bottom line: 105 is indeed better, but may not be worth an upgrade from the 95 unless you want to take advantage of the 105's extra features.

Oppo BDP-95 vs. BDP-105 — Sound Quality Comparison?
    When was the last time you asked OT Service Inc. that question? I was given a Modwright 83 that would no longer read any discs. I contacted OT Service and asked about having it repaired. They told me they no longer do repair work on Modwright modified Oppo players. So I'd be curious to know if in fact Oppo would sell Modwright optical drives at this time.

When I asked if I could just buy an optical drive OT Service said they are keeping all parts for in house repairs. When parts are no longer available that's it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  7. SamS

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I have had Modwright Oppo's repaired, with parts replaced, at Modwright. And having discussed it beforehand with Oppo on a couple of occasions, they made it clear that Modwright would perform any needed repairs with Oppo supplying parts as needed; and that is what happened. All parties involved were trying to be as helpful as possible.

Doug_B likes this.
  9. SamS

I guess we heard different stories from OPPO, and ModWright should update their site to reflect what they told you :shrug:

Nothing against ModWright, I've owned his products.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Were those warranty repairs or out of warranty repairs? How long ago did you speak with OT Service about that?

11. Weird. Way back when, they offered to send me a spare drive for the 205 if I needed it. And I don’t think it mattered that I was a beta tester because by that time, the Bay Area folks I had worked with for years had already been let go and replaced by the customer support operation.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The key thing is when was “way back when”? Also why I asked @rbbert the timeframe as well. I’d like to know because if it was years ago that makes a difference opposed to a few months ago.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Billy Budapest and Doug_B like this.
  13. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

The paragraph in the above-linked 2018 blog confirming no connection with Oppo does in fact assert that ModWright is responsible for servicing ModWrighted Oppos and does seek parts from Oppo as needed (as of the time of that blog).
    Eventually, ModWright stopped entertaining the modification of Oppo players, primarily due to Oppo being out of the market and thus dwindling parts for servicing. It is thus possible that whatever relationship ModWright had with Oppo through 2018 and perhaps a bit beyond with respect to access to parts from Oppo is not the same as it is now. It doesn't necessarily mean that they have no access anymore; it could just be Oppo has stricter controls in place. Asking Dan Wright would help for anyone that is interested.

Personally, I've been using Modwrighted Oppos for a number of years (105D and 205) but try to use the optical drives as little as possible, using the units as streamers instead and using a disposable (read cheap) Blu-ray player for videos. I do use the 105D as a SACD ripper, though I also pull out a backup Pioneer from its carton for that purpose a few times a year.

One time over 15 years ago, I needed a ModWrighted Pioneer universal player's laser assembly fixed / replaced. Dan suggested I take it to a local Pioneer-approved repair facility for expediency purposes versus sending it to him (I knew it was a laser issue). The unit was fixed at such facility (out of warranty) without any adverse effects to the mods.

Doug

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Most recently I had the laser assembly on a Modwright 205 replaced Dec 2021

15. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

I'm using my 205 mostly for playing flac files from a USB connected hard drive. I hardly ever use the disc player. Should the 205 work for this purpose indefinitely?

16. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

The Magnetar UDP-800 looks the closest to an Oppo '05' player that's come along, but it still uses the Media Tek MT8581 chipset for video, which just isn't all that great (and wasn't in the Oppo 203/205 either). It's not nearly as good as the video processing used in the Panasonic UB9000, which is top of the line and the best I've seen to date. Audio however looks quite impressive, but that doesn't mean it will sound 'good'.

17. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Is this the clicking sound that I hear a few seconds after I turn on my 205? I've been wondering if that is some sort of defect with my 205, as I don't hear such a sound when I turn on my 203.

What causes this clicking sound?

18. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

How do you know the drive is towards end of life on a 205? Stops opening or reading discs?

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Repeated click-click-clicking? Or one loud click, and then several seconds later one more loud click?

If it's the latter scenario, that's the physical relays in the 205 turning on different subsystems of the unit. They are pretty loud. The same type of click occurs at the beginning and end of playback of an SACD.

Dok, COBill and Edmoney like this.
  20. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

It's the latter scenario - thankfully, normal as you say.

Does the 203 not have these clicks because it's a less complex machine (i.e. having fewer subsystems to turn on)?

tmtomh likes this.
  21. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

What’s the HDCD workaround please? I have this player and the 105, so I am covered for HDCD anyway but I’m curious if there is a way around this on the 205. Thanks.

eddiel and tmtomh like this.
  22. Brendan2000000

Brendan2000000 Member

I guess the consumer demand for spyware finally evaporated. xie xie and good luck

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Was that under warranty? Did Oppo or Modwright do the repairs? That was over a year ago so OT Service could have changed their policy on working on Modwright modified players and selling parts. At least that was the response I received in October from OT Service.

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I’m not sure I understand your question? Out of warranty (just over 4 y.o. IIRC) but fairly inexpensive; Modwright’s labor charge was about the same as shipping both ways. I’m pretty sure (but have not confirmed) that Oppo will still sell needed parts to Modwright; do you want me to check with Kristen?
    Oppo will definitely not work on Modwright players, unless it is something simple; even then they would much prefer to have Modwright perform any needed services.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

This is an enormous thread, so it’s quite an accomplishment to have posted the dumbest comment in it. Congratulations!