Farewell tour opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WithinYourReach, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We'll have to disagree that Bowie was stronger as a performer toward the end. Those shows were great, but he was always great!

And I do think that the negative reaction to the 1995 shows with NIN is why he eventually went back to the hits. He stuck to his word for that tour - and it was the wrong place to do it, since the crowds were there for NIN!

blastfurniss likes this.
  2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Calling it a farewell tour or a tour after a farewell tour would not have any bearing on whether I go or not.

That said, if I had known Tom Petty's last tour was literally his farewell tour, I would have tried harder to get tickets to that sold out show. (I know - off topic)

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

He also said, flat-out, he's not retiring from performing. He alluded to doing shows in, say, London at a theatre, playing non-hits. He will just be done touring the globe.

PointsNorth and Herman Schultz like this.
  4. I voted for "ridiculous and should not even be a thing."
    This is along the lines of never say never again...because you just don't know what the future will bring.

I REALLY don't enjoy the ultra hyped farewell tour, with limited engagements and higher than normal pricing, only to find out three years later the band will tour again, on their farewell to the fare well tour, because this one is really the last tour they will ever make...except for five years later when they tour again...

When that happens it feels like a lie hase been foisted upon me.

Tour, and when you are done, you are done...Until you tour again.

PointsNorth and carlwm like this.
  5. Yes, the reality of knowing this is the last time you will see the artist live does have an impact on the decision to go.
    But, much like a Kardashian wedding, the words "Final Tour" mean nothing after so many interations of more tours have taken place by various bands who have made their final tour.

PointsNorth and blastfurniss like this.
  6. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Apparently Farewell Tours are invaluable for ironing out kinks in future Farewell Tours. The Crue should be flawless in 2020, and it's just a matter of time before Vince or Nikki say, with a straight face while being interviewed, "It feels like we've been here before". Alternatively, bands might discover that Farewell Touring is what they do best. Kiss is currently in the middle of a 47-leg, 20-year globetrotting End of Times junket which so effectively monetizes nostalgia that Gene wonders why they didn't start saying goodbye in 1976. (technically some of these things aren't true, but I retract nothing in spirit)

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Its ok for bands to lie to you if you like them. But if you don't like them, then they should tell the truth! :agree:

8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Elton will be back at Caesars in 2021. "It isn't a tour mate". About the only thing coming in for the Crue is live dates. Back catalog is dead, new?, publishing probably went long ago. The bills come and the accounts drain.

9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I saw Elton perform twice this year in Dublin. He has announced another three Irish shows for next year - two in Dublin and one in Belfast. Tickets are in hand for all three shows. If Mr. John decides to add any further Irish shows on his ‘farewell’ tour after 2020, I will be there.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Still hoping Neil will get board at the ranch, it’s almost 5 years..

If they did replace him, it wouldn’t be as sacrilegious as the Queen circus, that’s for sure. At least from a glance to the more casual fan.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  11. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Peart’s not even their first drummer.

Although he’s definitely their greatest, having been as important writing songs and concepts as sitting behind the kit.

I am pretty much kidding about replacing him.

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Dylan is the master of the farewell tour, hands down

13. Oatsdad

How so? :confused:

14. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Seen (kind of) two this year. First up was UFO, with Phil Mogg who'd announced his retirement, and then KISS.

I know UFO will carry on. But in a way, with Paul Raymond's passing and Mogg going, whomever tours with the name, it'll never be the same again. We saw them with Raymond just days before he died. Looking at the show, a man so active and vibrant on stage.... Shocked when we learned the news.

As for KISS, I can't believe anybody seriously thinks Stanley & Simmonds are done. Absolute joke. Of course, I will go and see them on their next farewell tour.

15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

According to Wikipedia, the Sound and Vision tour sold more tickets. However, after doing further reading, I do think I was probably inaccurate to say that the S&V concept was to revive sagging ticket sales - his other '80s tours were well-attended. They (most notably, Glass Spider) were really just not received well, from a critical standpoint.

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

KISS???.....think you will find The Who, Status Quo etc got there first....

17. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Rush did that. If they had done a proper Farewell Tour, hundreds of thousands of people could have seen them who will now never get the chance. I'm not sure what they did was more admirable than a proper Farewell Tour. That's all down to Neil, though.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

1990 tour was more than 20 shows longer than 1987.

1990 tour existed partly - mainly? - because Ryko wanted Bowie out on the road to promote their line of reissues...

19. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I've seen The Who in concert 24 times, from 1996 to 2019. I'm glad they didn't hang it up.

20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

If I understand you correctly, I agree. I think Rush is a good case for why an announced "farewell" tour would be (or would have been, in their case) a great idea. I'm not blaming them for not doing it, I don't know the details, but for me it's just a good example of a case where announcing a farewell tour would bring fans in who had gotten off the bus for a long time, but wanted one more ride. And there's something about Rush at least (for example in terms of their integrity with having the same three guys for decades, a rare if not unique feat) that suggests that it wouldn't be a cynical cash grab; they'd really mean it.

With a band like Motley Crue it does feel like they had a chance to go out with whatever dignity they had, and have now shamelessly gone back on that. It's one thing if a band breaks up, prematurely perhaps, and does a farewell tour while near the top of their game, and then reunites to make more music together. The Crue in 2014-15 were hardly at the top of their game, IMO.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I thought Rush left the stage with dignity. I was happy enough, even though they didn't come back to the UK.

WithinYourReach and SRC like this.
  22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Any Rush fan with an internet connection knew that the R40 tour was going to be the last of its kind. Rush probably didn't want to box themselves into making it a full-on "farewell tour" because, at the time, they were still open to playing more, but were limited by physical issues. In the years since then, the physical issues have spoken, and it looks like they won't ever tour again in any capacity.

I don't think that "hundreds of thousands" of more people would have attended the tour under "farewell" circumstances, as the tour was very well-attended as it was; there weren't that many spare seats to be sold.

I respect Rush for not falling into the "farewell tour" trap and am very glad that they didn't do it.

Stormrider77 and carlwm like this.
  23. Oatsdad

They might've added more shows if the farewell concept increased demand.

I'm not convinced farewell tours usually increase demand, though - audiences are too jaded about them.

Elton is an exception, as his farewell tour has sold well above what he did in prior years...

carlwm likes this.
  24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Au Contraire.

Bob's touring is sometimes unofficially billed as "The Never Ending Tour."

The man tours more or less continuously and has never thrown out the word "Farewell."

Frank Discussion likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I'm not a Dylan head, but I thought it was possible he might've claimed he planned to retire way back in the 70s or 80s.

But yeah - the guy who's doing the "Never Ending Tour" shouldn't count as someone who milks the "farewell" concept! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.