Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. Now on to episode two.

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

3. rburly

This show is the darkest one I've seen since Breaking Bad. The black humor, especially by Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob), is amazing. I'm hating when a commercial pops up, much as with Breaking Bad. I'm loving this series every week.

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Didn't think I would enjoy it but I do. Very quirky and wickedly funny in a sick sort of way. Can't wait for future episodes.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We're digging it. Lorne Malvo quote of the week:

"You couldn't find a smaller room for us to talk in?"

macdaddysinfo and JL6161 like this.
  6. rburly

He had 2 or 3 lines in that exchange! :righton:

7. ssmith3046

I watched the third episode and I'm really enjoying it. Great cast!

8. rburly

I watched the first episode 3 times and the 2nd and 3rd episodes twice. There's so much to miss in some of the scenes. The scene in "Could you have found a smaller room?" where Malvo busts the yoga instructor and tells him he's taking over is priceless!

The scene where the one brother shoots an arrow into his brother's butt is funny, not only for that, but Lester with Mrs. Hess and her striptease. Tons of very dark humor throughout each episode. Colin Hanks as the Duluth police officer who Malvo warned to not mess with, seems to have a pretty big part in this show, even though he just came in but was a big part of the third episode. Love it every week.

James RD and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. ssmith3046

I like the way Mrs. Hess talks about her sons too. One of the few shows that I look forward to the next episode.

rburly likes this.
  10. rburly

"They're animals." :laugh:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

My wife had it on a couple of times and now I've got wrapped into it. :eek:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

There's no going back now.

rburly and RickH like this.
  13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Spoiler question:

What is BBT's character up to with Oliver Platt? Is he slowly trying to kill him with the adderall? He can't fork over a million bucks if he's dead. So what was the pill switch for his ticker all about?

I'm really enjoying this show - I'm bummed we only have 7 more shows to go. Something tells me BBT isn't just about the money with the Supermarket King. But I look forward to finding out WHAT he did to deserve the blackmailing. So the kid sent originally a blackmail letter without knowing there was anything fishy going on? I guess with a guy like Platt's character, saying "You're being blackmailed over the money" could have possibly meant a lot of things to a guy of his stature and reputation and make him nervous as hell. And chances were he was doing something wrong with money. Poor (I think soon to be dead) kid - he struck a big nerve by accident and now he's wrapped up in something he shouldn't be

Also think Colin Hanks is great in this. Of all the characters on the show, I hope he survives this. He made the choice to live (for his daughter) over his duty as an officer. He has no wife. Let him live to raise her, with or without this new "love interest?"

This is basically the only show to catch my attention this season... and then after this series ends, I get the final season of Boardwalk. And then what??

Jeff

14. rburly

Jeff, I think you've seen enough (all) of the show to see that BBT (Lorne Malvo) isn't just a hitman, he has a very strong sadistic side to him, very much like Peter Stormare (Gaear Grimsrud) and to a lesser extent, Steve Buscemi's character in the original Fargo. If nothing else, the whole adderall and "blood" bath was to scare the hell out of the Supermarket King. My guess is that BBT will use Platt's character as needed but that he'll die in a not so pleasant way. Lorne Malvo has a very cold and sadistic heart but is a very smart man. The writers could do anything with his character and get away with it at this point.

I'm really enjoying this series but will miss it as well with only 7 episodes left also. I can only hope for more programming like this in the future.

I think Colin Hanks will survive the maelstrom that is Lorne Malvo, if only because of his daughter. While the writers have come up with some very harsh killings - a la Fargo the movie, innocent people seem to make it through. I think Gus Grimsley (Hanks) will make it through the next 7 episodes, though he may have some scary times during the rest of the show. I'm really enjoying this show!

Captain Groovy and James RD like this.
  15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Someone could have warned me that he kills a Rottweiler. That was rough.

16. rburly

Yeah, when I watched the second time, I almost turned away, but I knew when it was coming when the dog had that aggressive stance and they focused a little long on it. I thought, "This doesn't look good for the doggie." I'll remember to remind you the next time! :cry:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

In fiction this has always been true so too bad if it makes your eyes roll.
    And the creators of the show knew it as well......that is why the dog was killed offscreen.
    It simply triggers a powerful emotional response in people who love cannines ( I am one ).

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Most people are a holes, and no great loss. A dog is an innocent creature, only wanting love.

19. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It's not just dogs over humans. That particular dog looked just like my dog, right down to the graying muzzle.

rburly likes this.
  20. rburly

As posted above, they wouldn't show the killing of the dog, even if it was a fake dog.

Dogs will do anything for their alpha. It's time for me to get another dog. I had to put mine down a year ago last Christmas and I'm ready for another.

I thought so. My last dog was part Rott and part german Shepherd. Whatever I get from the pound, it'll be a similar to the same "type" of dog.

Myke and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  21. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I'm just having fun pushing a few little buttons. Some people are so easy. I've had dogs my entire life, but having to choose "Ralphie" over grandma would be a stretch.

I have to say the shooting and killing of children on the Walking Dead (zombies or not) was a lot more brutal than a dog that showed no signs of struggle or even an audible yelp when put down.

Myke and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  22. rburly

Oofah

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We are enjoying this far more than we did the movie.

24. rburly

Did anyone else catch (or think about) the Supermarket King's 1987 trip into Bemidgi when he ran out of gas and found the briefcase full of money and think about the movie? As soon as I saw the ice scraper in the snow and he dug and saw the briefcase, I said to my son "The movie!". I thought "What a cool way to tie the show in with the movie!" It was a nod to the Coen brothers I'm sure, but very cool to make the money from the movie be part of the backstory of the Supermarket King.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I thought about it as soon as I saw the ice scraper. I wasn't sure though until he started digging. Brilliant tie-in/homage. Also explains the "I know about the money. I assume the wife told the blackmailer about it, including "there is a God." Lorne using biblical plagues to increase the pressure of the blackmail is so sadistic, but very effective.

I wonder how much of the story we'll get that caused the King to go from "there is a God" and promising to be His servant to "kill or be killed." I really liked the movie, but this is shaping up to be even better. Every episode has been better than the last.