Fastball (the band)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roderick Usher, Jul 26, 2018.

1. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I'll still keep an eye open for the Japanese versions of bonus tracks they ever come up at a cost reasonable for my access. I'm excited to hear that in their patreon news email thing they're going to be recording a new live album.

I'm nowhere near the shows and can't really go to shows frequently anymore. Is anyone in the area actually attending their live shows? I believe they're in Texas because I know that's where they're home state is. I'd be curious if anyone goes of any reports.

P.s. definitely liked the another burrito Sunday joke song. Certainly better than a tequila sunrise

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The shows being recorded for the live album are at the Saxon Pub in Austin. March 15 and 16 at 1 pm, March 17 at 8 pm. If I weren't over a thousand miles away I'd consider going; Patreon patrons are guaranteed a spot on the guest list.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Glad to hear a live album is coming. I’ve been listening to them a lot lately and hopefully I can catch them live someday.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  4. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Cool! I just bought an old live radio show CD of theirs. Can’t make it to these concerts.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  5. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

New Fastball video and single out, album coming later this year

6. Doctor Worm

These guys always deliver. Glad to hear new material is on the way (no pun intended).

bluedemon25 and TaumpyTears like this.
  7. TaumpyTears

Agreed, glad to see they’re still chugging along. Their patreon is fantastic as well, so worth the 5 bucks a month.

bluedemon25 and Doctor Worm like this.
  8. bluedemon25

Yes I really like the patreon too.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  9. bluedemon25

Nice that they did an actual music video. I like that.

Is there any information on around when the album would come out and or its name? I don't recall hearing about it on the patreon although it's possible I missed it.

I look forward to it whenever it is.

10. TaumpyTears

Sure the record is called SONIC RANCH and the eta is June 14th 2024.

here’s a nice interview with Tony Scalzo where he tells about the new album & the Patreon
    Fastball - Riding High at the Sonic Ranch

bluedemon25 likes this.
  11. bluedemon25

I know some past albums have had Japanese bonus tracks. Not sure if they've really done that recently. If you or anyone get to the info on that I would ask to please share?

I like going for those Japanese bonus tracks when they exist, otherwise I'll happily pre-order the CD from wherever.

I'm assuming the band store will have it at some point in the not distant future if it's coming out in June?

I wish they did signed copies (or more like those slips that duplicate the album cover signed easier to frame that way). I got a real kick out of that I know some other groups do that I also like.

12. SJB

I find Discogs to be a pretty thorough resource for information about album versions - it's not always 100% complete but I haven't seen anything with more information in one place. (And it's user-edited so if you have an unlisted variation you can upload the information yourself.)
    Fastball
    Make Your Mama Proud had one Japanese bonus track and The Harsh Light of Day had two but I don't see any Japanese releases of Fastball, with or without bonus tracks, after they left Hollywood Records in 2002. At least two of the Japanese bonus tracks later showed up on US releases.
    They sold signed copies of The Help Machine and the expanded anniversary reissue of All the Pain Money Can Buy (which includes one of those Japanese bonus tracks mentioned above). I believe both were sold through the band's official page on Bandwear. Right now they don't seem to have any signed stuff for sale but it's worth bookmarking the page if you're looking for that kind of thing. It seems the most likely place to find signed copies of the next album if they end up doing that.
    Fastball

13. TaumpyTears

Only one album post their Hollywood Records era has a bonus track, 2004’s Keep Your Wig On features a song called HighLow. This was released in Europe and shouldn’t be too hard to find.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/887067-Fastball-Keep-Your-Wig-On

That song is now given away as part of the patreon campaign, nice little tune.

And as the previous poster mentioned, your best bet to get signed merch is through their official store. This new album is their first studio album in 20 years to be released via a label so we’ll see how it pans out in real time.

bluedemon25 and AndrewK like this.
  14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Good tune. Great to see this band releasing new matetial.

TaumpyTears and Doctor Worm like this.
  15. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I've been pondering going to see the band at Charleston, S.C.'s Music Farm on April 14. It's a Sunday show, so I'm not certain what the crowd size will be, but I hope it'll be well attended. Charleston crowds are great generally, enthusiastic without being obnoxious or trying to "making the scene" while appearing disinterested.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  16. bluedemon25

Thank you yes I did pick those up when they had those signed albums out I'm just really excited for this new one and hoping they might do similar. Been trying to find any sort of information since I see some pre-orders are out on various companies but they don't seem to have it up on their own merchandise site yet.

Do you happen to know what the US release was that had two of those above mentioned Japanese bonus tracks? I'm trying to figure out what I would need to pick up on CD to have all the tracks.

I'll keep an eye out on their official store hopefully it's just a matter of time before the update it to include a pre-order. I'm very excited for this. The new song sounds great and I liked the ones we heard already on Smashed Hits.

17. bluedemon25

18. SJB

The Japanese bonus track on Make Your Mama Proud is a cover of Bacharach's "This Guy's In Love With You." It appeared on the various artists compilation Lounge-a-Palooza and it's also on the recent expanded reissue of All the Pain Money Can Buy.

One of the Japanese bonus tracks on The Harsh Light of Day is "Black Rain," which is on the Painting the Corners compilation. The other bonus track, "Love Doesn't Kill You," appears to only be available on certain editions of Harsh Light..., including a limited edition U.S. release that came out at the same time as the standard version.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  19. Doctor Worm

I've always liked "Black Rain" but never knew where it came from. Thanks for solving that mystery for me!

20. SJB

The liner notes to the reissued All the Pain.... indicate that it's an outtake from that album, even if it ended up being sutured to the next album as a bonus track.

Doctor Worm and bluedemon25 like this.
  21. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I just grabbed my ticket for Charleston on Sunday night. I'll let everyone know afterward what I experienced, if you're interested.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  22. TaumpyTears

Definitely interested, love these guys, have a ball! ;)

power popper likes this.