Favorite Actor Who Was Never In A GREAT Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Mar 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always thought he was a good actor as well. And yes, its a shame close-minded people won't hire him. Alternating oppressor and oppressed isn't progress.

I must admit that is one of the movies I haven't seen of his.. I don't like musicals, maybe except "Singin' in the Rain", but that was probably because it was kinda metaphysical. Would you still recommend it to me?

2. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

It is my favorite Cagney movie (he sings and dances a LOT) and some of the bit players are very good. You don't like musicals and this one's, well...did I mention Cagney sings and dances a lot?

The film is in the public domain, I think.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah. That one may not be widely known to most people, but it is a great movie.

The Hud likes this.
  4. Django

Django Forum Resident

Maybe Peter Cushing. I love the old British horror films but I don't know if you can say any of them are "great"

trumpet sounds and Ignatius like this.
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Maybe not but Cushing is great in them and , as for Christopher Lee...forget about it !

Wolfschmidt likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pretty sure Cushing worked on a little film I like to call "Star Wars"! :shh:

7. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Lee, too. Or part of the endless series.

Wolfschmidt likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Christopher Lee was in Episodes II and III - not great movies! I like "Sith", but even it's not great.

Lee gets "great movie" credit for "LOTR", though! :)

Wolfschmidt likes this.
  9. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Christopher Lee was in The Magic Christian, and I for one think that was a great film.

SandAndGlass and freddog like this.
  10. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I was going to say Ben Gazzara, but he was in Big Lebowski. Does that count as he was only in it for a few minutes. An actor of his ability deserved much better and bigger roles

11. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Regarding cagney
    Obviously white heat is a great movie
    Then we have Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, The roaring 20s. And there was his seminal part in Yankee Doodle Dandy. I usually cant stand musicals, but that movie is something else.
    As ever, it all depends on your definition of "great" And as ever, that is a matter of opinion

Wolfschmidt and Ginger Ale like this.
  12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I agree but he was good in once upon a time in America for sure.

Wolfschmidt likes this.
  13. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

James Woods was brilliant in Salvador. He got an Oscar nomination. It didnt help that the paranoid Regan government banned the movie(by proxy) when they ensured it did not get a worldwide release. In the Uk it had to go out on the independent circuit thanks to the USA governments fear of the truth
    Woods was outstanding in that movie
    I have also heard he was a nightmare to work with and thats a major reason his career never took off

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

richard widmark

hi_watt likes this.
  15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Robert Wagner?

hi_watt likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

You don't like Anatomy of a Murder?

He gives a great performance in a film called The Strange One (aka End As A Man). Whether it's a great movie is another question.
    Supposedly when he was doing the TV series Run for Your Life in the late '60s a reporter asked him did he think he would still be considered one of the world's best actors, as many people had considered him ten years before. BG thought about the question, then slowly shook his head.

BG claimed to have turned down several roles that were big hits for other actors. It was the studio (Fox) that kept him from repeating his stage role in A Hatful Of Rain, as they insisted on casting contractee Don Murray (who is about as Italian as chop suey). I wonder if BG was offered Somebody Up There Likes Me (originally intended for James Dean). He certainly would've been more convincing as Rocky Graziano than Paul Newman (or Dean).

trumpet sounds likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Night & The City

Pickup On South Street

Simon A likes this.
  18. there a separate thread for actresses, or are they included here? (the term "actor" being strictly male, of course)

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Synecdoche - Wikipedia

A synecdoche is a figure of speech in which a term for a part of something refers to the whole of something​

Ginger Ale likes this.
  20. Wolfschmidt

Wolfschmidt Well-Known Member

I was actually just thinking of him, in comparison to Woods. Cushing and Hammer films are favorites of mine. Like Videodrome, Horror of Dracula, for example, is a great movie (imo of course) and a classic, but not on a Casablanca or Godfather level of public awareness.

Whereas Peter Cushing is in Star Wars (which is a GREAT movie as I assumed the OP meant it) and will probably be immortalized to generations as the villain so cold that he held Darth Vader’s leash. Not for all his amazing performances in Hammer classics.

21. Wolfschmidt

Oops, you guys beat me to it upthread while I was typing...

22. Wolfschmidt

I agree if for nothing else, Cagney has Yankee Doodle Dandy and White Heat. (There’s plenty else tho).

I caught White Heat on tv when I was like 10 years old and that ending was burned into my brain. I had no idea what the movie was called.

Forward 8 years later, I’m in college and the opening credits with the train coming out of the tunnel come on tv, and something clicked in my brain and I knew exactly what movie it was. I made all my roommates watch it.

I love White Heat, is what I’m saying.

23. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Lee got great movie status long ago any of those with The Wicker Man, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, The Horror of Dracula and Whip & the Body.

Simon A likes this.
  24. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Road House

25. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Another cameo.
    Wouldn't you say the killing of a Chinese bookie was a bigger film that roadhouse?
    Its bigger but not great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.