Favorite Beatles Capitol Album (US + Canada)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Jul 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

Why not? I own the Capitol Vol 1 and 2 CD boxsets but on vinyl only Yesterday And Today, Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour.

hmmm…what next on vinyl? And give me your great stories and memories of The Americanized Beatles! Butchered, Dexterized and still bloody brilliant!

[​IMG]

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think the best thing Capitol ever did was the Magical Mystery Tour as an album ... as someone who didn't grow up with the US albums, the rest of the Capitol releases don't mean much to me, but I do totally understand why they would mean a lot to folks in the US

3. MitchLT

I think if I see Long Tall Sally, I’ll pick it up. Interesting tracklist!

[​IMG]

Side one
    1. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" – 2:24
    2. "I Saw Her Standing There" – 2:50
    3. "You Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson) – 3:00
    4. "Devil in Her Heart" (Richard P. Drapkin) – 2:28
    5. "Roll Over Beethoven" (Chuck Berry) – 2:46
    6. "Misery" – 1:48
    Side two
    1. "Long Tall Sally" (Enotris Johnson, Richard Penniman, Robert Blackwell) – 2:03
    2. "I Call Your Name" – 2:10
    3. "Please Mr. Postman" (Robert Bateman, Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Fred Gorman, Brian Holland) – 2:37
    4. "This Boy" – 2:10
    5. "I'll Get You" – 2:04
    6. "You Can't Do That" – 2:34

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This actually goes beyond song quality in terms of best originals, covers, etc. More significantly, it gets down to my memories of owning my very first Beatle albums. For this I have to give it to Capitol’s glorious fleshing out, full LP sized cover booklet of Magical Mystery Tour. But while the cover was great and I enjoyed the film songs on side one, it was beyond cool at that time as a ten year old to have all those great hit singles on side two on an album.
    At very close second place is the first album I ever bought with my own allowance money a week after being given MMT for Christmas of ‘67, Meet The Beatles. My memories of playing it repeatedly while staring at that great black and white photo on the back cover are priceless.
    After that, I picked them all up, one by one. Listening to them, absorbing them, unwittingly injecting them into my DNA. These Capitol albums will never lose their meaning and importance for me. They’re how I got to know all the Beatle music before I even knew different, UK versions existed.

5. MitchLT

Bump!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  6. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I chose MMT because Hey Jude/Beatles Today! isn't an option.

BZync and dlokazip like this.
  7. Roll up!

dlokazip, linklinc and john lennonist like this.
  8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Magical Mystery Tour for me.

It is evidence all by itself why the US albums are perfectly valid. And, more importantly, so much fun!

At least for me.

That said, I never stop there. Meet The Beatles! Beatles VI, Rubber Soul and Yesterday and Today are all frequent players on my system.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    ericc2000, Jon H., fmfxray373 and 4 others like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love them all! but Meet the Beatles! (1964) comes closest to me for personal reasons.

10. Michael

that's what I've been talking about since 2002 on the forum...but I did know they existed through mags and pics but didn't care we had our Beatles albums...

11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

It was my first Beatles album. I was so excited getting it for my birthday in 1974. It was only the beginning. Little did I know how far this journey would take me.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Michael

that's really cool...yes, we do have great memories of our American Beatles albums...

musicfan37 likes this.
  13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I think you’re missing one. Capitol Canada’s Beatlemania.

14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I remember sitting there listening to the album and staring and comparing the photos on the front and back covers. I couldn’t even guess how many times I read and re-read the the information on the back. An exciting time! I still have that album and all of the others.

john lennonist, DK Pete and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

that's excellent! I love the back photo on MTB better than the front!
    [​IMG]

16. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Even though The U.S. Rubber Soul is missing Nowhere Man, and neither I've Just Seen A Face or It's Only Love are better than it, as part of an album feel, they do the job in terms of vibe, especially as side 1 and 2 openers.
    Ignorance was bliss.

17. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

I predict this will be the US Rubber Soul in a landslide.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  18. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

a PERFECT album, if there ever was one

[​IMG]

19. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

You beat me to it! Even though it has the same track listing as the UK “With The Beatles”, it has a really nice wide stereo that still manages to be tasteful, even when listening on headphones.

EddieMann likes this.
  20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

MEET THE BEATLES
    Adding I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Saw Her Standing There, and This Boy to the originals on WITH THE BEATLES greatly improves the album.

HM: MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (the 3 mediocre songs BJW, Flying, and YMSK put it just below MTB) and RUBBER SOUL (I love IJSAF and It's Only Love being here, but miss Nowhere Man, Drive My Car, and IF I Needed Someone)

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The very first time I saw UK versions was around 1972 by which time I was already four years into amassing all the US albums for the second time around on the Apple label. I have to say I was very excited at these UK’s…the track listings…the covers…but impressive as they were they lacked the “electricity” of the US versions I was used to; especially MTB and the Second Album. Over the years I’ve come to appreciate all versions of these life changing albums. That said, the importance of the pre-Pepper Capitol albums cannot be overstated in my book.

musicfan37, Sidewinder43 and limoges like this.
  22. Michael

I pretty much agree with you on all of this especially the last sentence!

noirbar, Sidewinder43 and DK Pete like this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

To anyone who says the Fabs were a pop band and not a rock band, play 'em this:

The Beatles’ Second Album

After which gaze into their eyes with a "Hey 'up?"

24. john lennonist

I see that you're from the Netherlands.

That's a Canadian-only album.

Pretty damn rare, methinks... I have never seen one in the wild in the U.S., despite hundreds of visits to record stores.

But if I had, I would surely have grabbed one).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  25. john lennonist

I hate to be "that guy," but it's Hey Jude/The Beatles Again!

bhazen, Sgt. Abbey Road and dlokazip like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.