Favorite Beatles Capitol Album (US + Canada)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Jul 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My copy of LTS though is mono even though the label says stereo…70’s pressing.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

The Beatles' Second Album for me. Of all the North American Capitol albums, it is the most unique, meaning it's not just a hacked up version of a UK album, and it has its own sound. Plus, it's fun!

Also, why is The Early Beatles not included? Not that it's a great album or anything, but still.

4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The album that introduced me to The Beatles, only released in Canada and
    I still have my copy:

[​IMG]
    Beatlemania! With The Beatles, 1963.

5. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

:righton: I was almost going to include this, but saw that it is just With The Beatles with a slightly ruined front cover.

Just as well they made the Beatlemania! text in the large font and not something like ‘Stamp, Shake, Prance, Skip!’

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I mooched the image from The Beatles Bible! website.

Bingo Bongo and MitchLT like this.
  7. MitchLT

Kinda forgot that one :doh:, but it is bona-fide Capitol compilation, rather than ‘contemporary’ release..:

If folks wanna vote for it, just mention it in the comments. Pretty good track-listing variation

[​IMG]
    Side one
    1. "Love Me Do" – 2:23
    2. "Twist and Shout" (Phil Medley and Bert Russell) – 2:33
    3. "Anna (Go to Him)" (Arthur Alexander) – 3:00
    4. "Chains" (Gerry Goffin and Carole King) – 2:27
    5. "Boys" (Luther Dixon and Wes Farrell) – 2:25
    6. "Ask Me Why" – 2:28
    Side two
    1. "Please Please Me" – 2:00
    2. "P.S. I Love You" – 2:05
    3. "Baby It's You" (Burt Bacharach, Mack David, and Luther Dixon, credited as Barney Williams) – 2:38
    4. "A Taste of Honey" (Ric Marlow and Bobby Scott) – 2:04
    5. "Do You Want to Know a Secret" – 1:59

DmitriKaramazov and a customer like this.
  8. MitchLT

It’s on Wikipedia too, along with the terrible Australian cover:

[​IMG]

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes it is. To begin with, far as the US was concerned, the Apple albums were essentially Capitol with the Apple logo. The Hey Jude album was specifically a US/Capitol creation.

MitchLT, musicfan37 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Yesterday & Today was my first Beatles album... or rather, the first I bought with my own money when I was 11. I absolutely adored this record and still do. Later on I realized it was little more than an amalgamation of the UK Help, Rubber Soul, and Revolver albums along with several singles/EP cuts, but I didn't know at the time. I just knew I loved each and every one of those tracks. Even Act Naturally... eventually.

Late 64 though 66-era Beatles remains my favorite to this day.

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Loved the Red & Blue Capitol albums.

The Red ('62-66) album was my Gateway drug into the Beatles, growing up with the CAN/USA Capitol Records. But once I heard the sound from my 1st UK Import, I was hooked again. Then again wit the '87 CDs, then again with the Capitol Vol. CDs. Was always disappointed there wasn't a Vol.3

Sidewinder43, notesfrom and MitchLT like this.
  12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Hey Jude was released by Apple Records in the US, not Capitol. It was conceived and compiled by Apple Records, not Capitol. The LP was mastered at Bell Sound, not Capitol. There is even a "Manufactured by Apple Records Inc" credit on the cover and label.

It was pressed at Capitol pressing plants but that doesn't make it a Capitol album. The 1970 open reel release was made by Ampex, but that doesn't make it an Ampex album either.

As far as I can tell it didn't appear on the Capitol label in the US until 1976.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  13. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Sgt. Pepper's is a unique Capitol album because there's no inner groove or dog tone. That's enough in my book

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

We’re both right in different ways….I'll try to find the Spizer quote which supports what I said. Yes, it was on Apple but I'm going a bit deeper than that. Apple was technically still Capitol in the US and HJ was a US album. Another way to look at it is all the Capitol albums which were pressed with Apple labels in the early 70’s.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    musicfan37 and john lennonist like this.
  15. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Referencing Spizer, there is a reason Magical Mystery Tour is the last album covered in his book The Beatles' Story on Capitol Records. Yes, Capitol was involved in the manufacture and distribution of the albums after 1967, but they weren't Capitol albums. They were Apple albums, as covered in his subsequent book The Beatles on Apple Records.

obi and DK Pete like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I honestly have to dig thru his book. I know somewhere, he states something to the effect that Apple was essentially Capitol with the Apple logo. Unless I’m just misremembering which wouldn’t be out of the question. But again, how do we account for the earlier albums that were repressed with Apple labels? We know these were not Apple albums….

17. Meet The Beatles
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Rubber Soul

18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If you're talking about the Capitol mono MMT, yes, but the stereo has the last 3 songs in fake stereo.

john lennonist and Bingo Bongo like this.
  19. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Hey Jude was included in a box set called The US Albums so...

Plus it was pressed in Capitol pressing plants...it's not as if that is just some technicality. It doesn't matter where it was mastered. The Beatles created a label but were still using EMI/Capitol to make and distribute their records. Remember they were under contract to EMI (Capitol in the US) until 1976. Perhaps that is why all the Apple label US Beatle albums went back to the Capitol labels in 1976.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

But certainly would not have been included in a box set called The US Capitol Albums. It's really very simple. Any Beatles record released after and including the Hey Jude single was an Apple record, not a Capitol record.

obi and nikh33 like this.
  21. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Your right. Txs for the reminder. This is yet another reason why I own European Beatles recordings over the Capitol Albums.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Michael P, Adam9 and DK Pete like this.
  23. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

MMT for me but - despite it's hodge-podge nature - I'm also a big fan of Yesterday & Today. It provides an excellent alternative listening experience by which to enjoy of some top-notch mid-period tracks, as well as a home for Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out.

Rubber Soul is the other one I listen too, again just as a fresher alternative to the UK Rubber Soul I grew up with. :)

24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Great minds think alike. :D

Bingo Bongo and DK Pete like this.
  25. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Actually over half of side 2 of the original release is fake stereo, but it is not as bad as the "Duophonic" process. Just a bass/treble split with harmonic distortion on the treble side. The 1971 German "Hor Zu" label version has true stereo for all of side 2. The CD's are all true stereo as well, but I've read that they are different mixes than what was on the '71 German pressing.

BTW: the last verse of "I Am the Walrus" is also fake stereo (due to the live radio playing a reading of Hamlet that was mixed into the mono mix). It took decades for someone to find that Hamlet reading and fly it into a true stereo mix, it's still fake on the first CD's. A close listening to IATW reveals that the fake stereo process used was the same bass/treble split with harmonic distortion on the treble side that was employed on the side 2 fake stereo tracks ("Penny Lane", Baby Your a Rich Man", and "All You Need is Love"). That leads me to deduct that the fake stereo process used on MMT was done in England and not the U.S.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.