Favorite Christian musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEG, Aug 25, 2015.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

She and her music are both timeless.

The Cat 3 and Mark B. like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree with this 100%

The Cat 3 likes this.
  3. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

Just listened to DC Talk "Jesus Freak" for the first time in over 10 years.

What an amazing collection of songs.

Start to finish just a great album.

Dave112, Vic_1957, LarsO and 3 others like this.
  4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Very cool to read this here on the forum. That album was a integrated part of my life in my late teens. Have you listened to "Supernatural" (1998)?

Dave112, Vic_1957 and The Cat 3 like this.
  5. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

Yeah, another wonderful album.

They matured into gifted musicians, singers & songwriters so quickly.

A true gift.

Also, the production on those two albums are fantastic.

They not only held up but sound fresher today than they did then.

Dave112 and LarsO like this.
  6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yeah, that one is great! Personally I am a fan of the 80's rock stuff and a lot of it is being reissued (just got the first demo by Deliverance - Greeting Of Death on CD last week). There's quite a few labels reissuing this stuff. Roxx Records, Girder Music and Boone's Overstock (Angelica, Fighter, Shout, Bloodgood, etc). Boone's Overstock Girder Music

And for collectors and fans of Christian rock or metal there is a website kind of like discogs called Firestream Music Vault. There are a ton of albums on there stop by and take a look around. Firestream Music Vault

The Cat 3 likes this.
  7. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

I think Deliverance's "Stay of Execution" is one of the best metal albums ever made, Christian or otherwise.

I just listened to "It Won't Be Long" by Shout recently and braced myself, but was (pleasantly) surprised how good it is.

I've always dug Guardian as well.

MikeInFla likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I picked up "Stay" a couple of years ago when it was reissued, I had never heard it until then. It's pretty good but I prefer the first two. I also have "Weapons" on blue vinyl which came out a few years ago as well. So glad these labels are reissuing this stuff because a lot of it is pretty pricey.

The Cat 3 likes this.
  9. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Not a big Steve Taylor fan, but some of his music is GREAT! Like "Cash Cow (A Rock Opera In Three Small Acts)"

10. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Holy moly, I've not heard this song for close to 40 years! My uncle was the only one into music enough to buy albums, and being in the so-cal area in the late 70s most of the fam was caught up in the whole Vineyard/Jesus movement. Lots of memories of some of this stuff you guys are posting, but this one takes the cake. Thanks man!

Mark B. and Slack Babbath like this.
  11. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

The Edwin Hawkins Singers - Oh Happy Day

12. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Al Kooper and Shuggie Otis - Bury My Body

Oh yes !

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Horde (Jayson Sherlock's one-man band)

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Jimbino likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

David Phelps has to be the very best voice I have ever heard in Gospel Music, if you listen to this one song from beginning until the end you will see why I say that.

boggs, SandAndGlass and LarsO like this.
  16. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

JS Bach

Steve Mc likes this.
  17. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Not sure if I had mentioned this earlier in this thread, I know I mentioned Larry Norman and Mark Heard...but T Bone Burnett and Buddy and Julie Miller are Artists I greatly admire who choose to work outside the constricting confines of the dreaded CCM.

18. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

The “genre” of CCM is legendary in its ability to produce mediocrity. It is actually a division of Nashville music....all that was missing was the whiskey and the daisy duke cut off jeans.

19. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I might also mention Randy Stonehill with reservation because of how he threw Mr. Norman under the bus after he died. Truly repulsive. However his Return to Paradise is a gem in any genre IMO...

Clanceman likes this.
  20. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Mark B. and Chazzbo13 like this.
  21. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

22. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but...Barren Cross, late 80s hair metal band, is having their two prime albums, plus their live album from the era, re-released via Retroactive Records on the Boone's Overstock website...reasonable prices for the CDs...State of Control will feature both of the bonus tracks that were split over different original versions of the release...shipping mid-April...The More You Know...

MikeInFla and Retro Hound like this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Leads to an error page.

24. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I LOVED State of Control, in fact it is one of the only '80s heavy metal CDs I haven't sold.

MikeInFla and Chazzbo13 like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I can only think of one whose message I trust, and yes he's a clear favorite.

He doesn't refer to himself as an artist working within that belief system, but instead you hear it in his lyrics, his positive intent and his willingness to compose accessible melodies and production, so you don't have to be elitist to appreciate his talent.

He's the son of a former LDS minister, and just makes positive music you can believe in without having to genuflect or drop a dime in the plate.

His name is Howard Jones. Yes, that Howard Jones.

MikeInFla likes this.