Favorite Katharine Hepburn Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Well, what's your favorite? It's a tough choice for me. I fret about which is my favorite Hepburn/Tracy, let alone my favorite from either actor alone. :)

Regards,

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Holiday #1
    Baby #2
    Phil...#3

It must be this thing I have for Cary Grant.;)

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

THE AFRICAN QUEEN first and foremost, but all the Grant films, most of all BABY. Some solid work all around, though GUESS WHO'S COMING is overrated and dated beyond belief; and was never much good, IMO. LION is an interesting film of its type, though that's not saying a whole load. ADAM'S RIB and PAT & MIKE are great fun, and THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT is a very interesting change of pace.

ED:cool:

4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

"The African Queen" is my favorite. I just watched the dvd earlier today.

5. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

African Queen, definitely, followed by Baby and Philadelphia. Her and Cary Grant were a great combination.

Jeff

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Hey, we're not here to judge! :D

The Philadelphia Story was my top pick, but IMO State of the Union is probably the most underrated of the featured titles. Great political film, Hepburn and Tracy are great in it but the real standout is a stunning supporting performance by a young Angela Lansbury (as a character even more ice-bloodedly bitchy than her Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate).

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

African Queen is #1. One of my Top 10 films of all time. The chemistry between Hepburn and Bogart is electric! When she jumps right into the river to help pull the boat through the reeds--that's the true definition of women's lib, before the term was even invented. Wonderful script, great acting and cinematography.

Philadelphia Story #2.:thumbsup:

8. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Gotta go with Sea Of Grass with Tracy

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Philadelphia Story just gets it for me...but there were a few great ones there that's for sure.

What a lady - she was the best. :)

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bringing Up Baby...Floors me everytime!:thumbsup:

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Africa Queen... Katherine Hepburn on the top of her career.

12. Matt

Matt New Member

The African Queen, but in terms of performance, I'd have to give the edge to either "Long Day's Journey Into Night" or "Bringing Up Baby." The latter's probably her most entertaining one, but the former is the one that really gets under your skin.

It's tough picking out a Tracy/Hepburn fave. Probably "Woman of the Year" or "Adam's Rib."

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

She did so much great work, I don't think I can even list any of it in any order. What a range...

Todd

14. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I picked Summertime because I've only seen it and On Golden Pond. She was a little before my time.
    Aaron

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Aaron, you are in for a treat... :)

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Philadelphia Story was my choice, but Desk Set is a cool flick (which should ONLY be viewed in it's widescreen presentation - this one is REAL wide), because if its very early introduction of computers. It's a goof to see what they portrayed as the "big computer" back in the '50s. Today, a laptop could do what that big thing allegedly did.

:-jon 1000

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Rooster Cogburn!

The interplay between the two movie titans is fantastic!

18. stever

stever Senior Member

African Queen is my favorite, but the Cary Grant movies are also good. I just liked her paired with Bogart, whose character in, "African Queen," was rough around the edges, as compared to the smoothness of the characters Grant almost always played.

19. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I had to go with "Bringing Up Baby" as my first. "Desk Set" is my second.

I have to credit my wife who is a life-long fan of Ms. Hepburn and is the one who introduced me to many of those movies.

Joel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.