Favorite Legitimately Free Concert That You Attended

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

David Crosby, June 1, 2019 at Cooper River Park in Collingswood NJ. Actually, my favorite show I ever attended, paid, free or otherwise.

2. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Stonehenge in 1982, not so much my favourite as "I think" the only free music I've seen. Hawkwind etc played there. Me and my fellow 17 year old college friends were a little bit out of our depth being there :)

carlwm likes this.
  3. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

The Black Crowes played in G. Lord Ross Park in Toronto in 1992 (a promotion by radio station Q107) and I went.
    Also in 1992, went to the Western Fair in London, Ontario to see Johnny Cash. You paid your $7 entry fee and you could go to the show (there were two separate performances) for free. London is where Johnny Cash proposed live on stage to June Carter. They talked and laughed about it.
    Also in 1994, the same deal at the Michigan State Fair in Detroit (near 8 Mile). You paid the $7 entry fee and you could go to the show for free. I saw Bob Dylan there and he absolutely killed. There's a great audio recording of that show. I wonder if young Jack White was there.

4. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Wilco - Tastefest, Fisher Theatre Parking Lot, Detroit 2003

linklinc likes this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

So many...one of the perks of living in/near NYC.

Neil Young/Foo Fighters etc. in Central Park.
    Mulatu Astatke at Summerstage.
    Fishbone at a park in Brooklyn.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers at UNH in 1990.
    Masada at Castle Clinton, NYC.
    Metallica at Roseland, NYC.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

The three I remember attending with approximate dates

1987 Johnny Cash and family at a park in Long Beach, NY Not a real highlight
    1992 New York Philharmonic at Heckser State Park, East Islip NY doing Beethoven 7th Symphony and something else
    1993 Bill Monroe at a park in Huntington NY. The old codger must have been 82 but still fit. The thing is he didn’t do a set list. Just kept asking people which bluegrass songs they wanted to hear and played them. I guess people know more bluegrass songs than I do.

caravan70 likes this.
  7. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

Barclay James Harvest
    Manchester University 1970

caravan70 likes this.
  8. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

New Zealand band Schtung in Albert Park, Auckland, in the late 1970s or very early 1980s.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Fullbug, caravan70 and speedracer like this.
  10. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

Lucky you ;)

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Oh man I hardly paid for any of the shows I went to...

12. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

~Simon & Garfunkel:
    Central Park New York, New York September 1981

~The Mekons:
    Highland Park Rochester, NY
    Summer early/mid 1990's

Honorable Mention:
    Toots & The Maytals
    Jazz Fest Stage Rochester NY
    Summer early 2010's

The Flaming Lips
    Yonge-Dundas Square Toronto, Ontario
    June 2012

Guided By Voices
    Central Park New York, New York
    Summer mid/late 1990's

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    caravan70 likes this.
  13. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

"Ban the Poo" Sydney Australia about 1988, at least 100`000 people headlined by Cold Chisel and Joe Walsh, sunny, boozy and crazy day.

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I saw the Stones at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY in October 1997. The show was part of MTV's "Live at the 10 Spot" series. It was by invitation and radio station contest winners but since we lived close by, my brother and I hung outside the venue that night. As we saw a rush of people run to the side of the theater, we ran across the street and got in line. The line started moving and we were stunned as tickets were handed to us. As we entered the theater, Keith was hitting the opening to Honky Tonk Women. There were maybe 200 people there. A night I'll never forget.

Fullbug, caravan70, Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The annual Sonny Rollins shows at Damrosch Park.

anth67, caravan70 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  16. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Pink Floyd at the Kingdome in Seattle, 1987. A friend of mine said the person who was going to drive them to the show couldn't go so if I drove them, I could have his ticket.

17. julienbakerfan

julienbakerfan Julien is her name, not mine

Do shows with a "suggested donation" count?

18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Ones that really stand out are ones that were part of the festivals that would be held at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia. I saw Little Richard at one as part of a festival there, as well as Etta James and Bela Fleck and The Flecktones at the Jam on the River that used to be there. You could see so many great acts for free at those, but those three stand out.

caravan70 likes this.
  19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

12th July 2013 - Ray Davie/Elvis Costello in Hyde Park when Elton John had to pull out due to sickness. Applied for my free ticket that morning, got there mid afternoon, strolled up to the barrier, voila!

5th July 2014 - Brian Wilson at The Hop Farm - my dad was friends with a photographer that had some passes at the box office. Don't tell anyone, but I had a great time watching James Blunt too :angel:

caravan70 likes this.
  20. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

Dread Zeppelin performed or free at my college in either 91 or 92. I think they did that a lot

21. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

They Might Be Giants at Emory University in the fall of 1992

MusicLovahhh and Jeff Kent like this.
  22. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Live 8, though I was disappointed about the 'golden circle'. I got there at 5am to secure a good place! I would have happily paid for a ticket if it would have meant I could have got closer to the stage. Still, it was a great show!

23. sangfreud

sangfreud Forum Resident

the hassles in jon small's parents' garage, 1967 or so, when i was 8 or 9 (and standing on the driveway with my friends, until they shut the garage door on us).

MusicLovahhh and Jeff Kent like this.
  24. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

Widespread Panic's April 18, 1998 concert/release party for the band's first live album Light Fuse Get Away.
    show occurred in the band's hometown of Athens, GA the 1998 concert marked one of the world's biggest CD release parties with an estimated 100,000 people in attendance.

ARK likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I saw many free chamber music concerts at Emory University in the 90's, in particular there was a performance of Bach's A Musical Offering that I remember. Stunning! Some of the best music one could ever hear was out there for free. Probably still is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.