Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Favorite Painting of All Time

Ascent of the Blessed by Hieronymus Bosch, painted between 1505 and 1515.

[​IMG]

2. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

[​IMG]

4. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

This painting's always fascinated me, less is definitely more in this case...

[​IMG]

5. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

This one's new to me (I could only locate it on an iffy site). What is it called?

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Its the cover to a Playstation 2 game, the lead developer painted it himself in homage to Giorgio I presume. The man made some very artful and "gripping" games too I must add (pun intended even though no one here got the joke).
    The funniest thing was how terrible the US cover is in comparison though:

[​IMG]

digreyfox, longdist01, fabre and 2 others like this.
  7. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

I've always loved this one by Howard Pyle.

[​IMG]

8. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

What a fantastic composition! Imagine being a young person and opening a book to see that. Great painting. N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle paintings are amazing.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Pyle taught NC that the action must be at an odd angle not 90 degrees. This one sure shows that

KevlarHeart and carrick doone like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Just returned from five days in Rome. With so many things to see and do there, this was never going to be purely an art viewing trip, but I was thrilled to see the following eight works by Caravaggio:

The Calling of St Matthew [Contarelli Chapel]
    The Inspiration of St Matthew [Contarelli Chapel]
    The Martyrdom of St Matthew [Contarelli Chapel]
    The Crucifixion of St Peter [Cerasi Chapel]:

[​IMG]

The Conversion on the Way to Damascus [Cerasi Chapel]:

[​IMG]

Deposition from the Cross [Vatican Museums]:

[​IMG]

The Fortune Teller [first version, Capitoline Museums]:

[​IMG]

St John the Baptist (a.k.a. Youth with a Ram) [first version, Capitoline Museums]:

[​IMG]

The St Matthew trilogy is stunning, and completely free to visit, as are the two works in the Cerasi Chapel.

NB. The Contarelli Chapel does not allow photographs — a request that I honoured — whilst the others seemed happy to allow them.

11. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Great thread! Hard to pick a favorite as I have so many, but this is a more recent favorite that was on display at the Getty Museum in LA. I bought a print of it and have become a huge fan of the work of James Ensor. It's huge and stunning in person. This photo is slightly blurry.

James Ensor: Christ's Entry into Brussels in 1889. Oil on canvas. 1888

[​IMG]

writteninwater and smilin ed like this.
  12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Yellow Nose - the artist counting coup on Custer's men.

Borgia likes this.
  13. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

The
    Another vote for The Persistence Of Memory. Dali is my favorite artist. I've got a print of this one and The Burning Giraffe hanging in my living room.

Edit: Although, I also have a print of His Master's Voice (see my avatar <---) hanging by my fireplace. Hmmm.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    fluffskul likes this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

[​IMG]

EddieMann likes this.
  15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

The Belvedere variation of Napoleon at the Saint-Bernard Pass.
    [​IMG]

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Popped into Stockport Museum this week, as they have several works by LS Lowry on display.

Pride of the town’s collection is this 1930 oil-on-board painting entitled A Street in Stockport — Crowther Street:

[​IMG]

The real Crowther Street still exists, not far away, although last time I went past there was a lot of construction going on. Lowry took some artistic liberty with the angle of the street’s turn, but it’s still recognisable from nearly 90 years ago. Unfortunately, it’s not nearly as busy as Lowry depicted, being a quiet residential street leading up to a set of council flats at the top.

Also on display is this charming pencil drawing of Mealhouse Brow, Stockport, as seen from the Marketplace (again, still recognisable today):

[​IMG]

And this limited edition lithograph entitled Old Steps, Stockport (a location I’ve never been able to pin down definitively, it may no longer exist):

[​IMG]

17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

As we've Remembrance Sunday just around the corner, thought it was appropriate to put up one of Scarborough's finest here. ('Our City Hall' 2005)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stepeanut likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Thread's a tad too quiet of late. Everyone still in a post-Christmas stupor....? :)

Anyway, gone for a frivolous piece of art here. Not everyone will be familiar with Terry Brookes, a Barnsley-based artist, but his work is popular. A friend's bought a Brookes piece as an Xmas gift for his lady. Here the Fabs can be seen joshing around in the sprinklers in front of Barnsley Town Hall.

Listen, it's meant to be fun, right?

[​IMG]

19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That's a painting?

20. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Can’t pick a favorite, but some favorite artists - Vasari (majesty, shadow, light) and Vermeer (simplicity, shadow, light).

21. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

In post #975 of this thread, I mentioned John Martin, whose large triptych The Last Judgement, hangs in The Tate Britain (each of the 3 paintings is about 6 x 10 feet or 2m x 3m). Those into dark ambient may recognize The Great Day of His Wrath, which depicts The Apocalypse (on a Lustmord album)

[​IMG]

But another in this triptych, also called The Last Judgement, shows The Saved being separated from The Damned. Among The Saved are familiar historical figures (see Wikipedia article). These paintings were meant to tour the world as an entertainment of their day, and to get people to buy prints of them (starving artists, you know...).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  22. [​IMG]

The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even by Marcel Duchamp

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Peter Booth - Winter
    [​IMG]

longdist01 and Andy Smith like this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Mao - Andy Warhol (1972)

[​IMG]
    Went through Warhol exhibit closing this weekend, Mao is a 15ft canvas [silkscreen and acrylics] and not all pieces displayed may be photographed, one of the few i took downtown in the Art Institute.

brew ziggins and EddieMann like this.
  25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Was at that exhibition a couple weeks ago.

bluesky and longdist01 like this.