Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Any of Wayne Thiebaud's San Francisco paintings. The Crocker Art Museum has had some spectacular works of his on display. I love these!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

Nice. :righton:

Brian Lux likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Just saw the Jasper Johns retrospective at the Whitney, so much more to him than the flag stuff. Huge exhibit, one walk thru isn't enough.
    The above was painted just as COVID was taking over.

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I love the Whitney. Visited it many times when I was living in NYC.

ralphb likes this.
  5. ralphb

Love that place too, always great care taken with the exhibits (the David Wojnarowicz from a couple of years ago was mind bending), and there are great views out on the terraces.
    Jasper Johns is 91 and still working.

george nadara and Jamsterdammer like this.
  6. CaptainFeedback1

I just had a chance to look at these on a bigger screen - I really like the middle one!

Crimson Witch and Brian Lux like this.
  7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Cool! Glad you like them, Capt'n!
    About 10 years ago, I walked into one of the gallery rooms in Sacramento's Crocker Art Gallery and turned and suddenly, at just the right distance in from of me was one on these marvelous Thiebaud city-scape paintings. The affect was stunning! I darned near shed tears. They are amazing painting!
    Also, back in the late 1960's, my sister took and art class at U.C. Davis that Mr. Thiebaud was teaching. She still remembers what a great experience that was.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  8. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

It's so great and inspiring that at his age, and with such high quality, he is/was still working.

ralphb likes this.
  9. ralphb

On one of those description cards you find next to the paintings he's quoted as saying: "Every time I finish a new painting I think it's my last, and then I'm surprised to find out it isn't." :)

10. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

That's quite brilliant.

Is Frank Stella still working? He'd have to be close to Jasper Johns' age, but around five years younger.

11. ralphb

Don't know. He's also due for a big retrospective. I have to see that John's exhibit again before it shuts down in February, so much to take in.

12. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

Is The Whitney for specifically artists from the US, or just some sort of connection? I remember reading somethng about thst some time ago. It looks to be an impressive museum.

13. ralphb

Yes, it's devoted to American artists. The full name is The Whitney Museum of American Art, but The Whitney is much catchier.:)
    The building they have now is much more impressive than the one that was on 54th Street. Panoramic views, terraces, huge spaces for exhibitions, very well curated.

14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Others--like Serov :)

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I've been on the Steve Hoffman forums almost daily for more than two and a half years now, but have never bothered to look at any of the sections devoted to things other than music, recordings, and audio equipment until today. I had no idea there was stuff like this on the forums. I'm heartened to see so many people interested in art as well as music and posting favorites, although, as so many others have noted, choosing ONE favorite painting of all time, is a hopeless and perhaps pointless task. All well and good, though, if it gets people sharing art and ideas about art. One thing that saddens me a little, though, is how little abstract art is being discussed. As an abstract artist myself, I'm used to the neglect of the non-representational side of the art world, but, still, a little sad. So much good abstract art out there....

CaptainFeedback1 and ralphb like this.
  16. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Well, post something! Also, If you look through the thread you will find some examples.

EdgardV and CMT like this.
  17. Do you have any particular examples that would be good exemplars of Nitsch’s work?

18. Fremad

Fremad Forum Resident

Currently it could be one of many works by Chaïm Soutine. It's hard to really explain why I'm really into his rawness and textures at the moment. But I find his work can be very engrossing and even if you don't think much about his painting(s) as you look at them immediately. They seem to stay in your mind afterwards, and keep you interested.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  19. CaptainFeedback1

Never heard of Soutine until I read your post - he had an interesting style and a tough last few years. Glad to have been introduced to him - thanks!

20. I don’t have one. I have lots of painters I admire and paintings I like.

Manimal likes this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Thinking of a “ favorite “ it’s easy to go back as a kid and pick one. I first saw this painting sold as a poster in the back of Heavy Metal or Creepy Magazine and boy did I want it. I later found out it was by Ron Cobb who worked as the conceptual artist on Star Wars. Something about the desert scene with clouds in a perfect sky really drew me in. Anyway I love this image.

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Ron Cobb who did the jacket art for After Bathing at Baxter’s?

23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Not sure about that but he was a conceptual artist on many films. Alien, Star Wars and Raiders of the lost Ark to name a few.

24. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Like many, it's impossible to pick a favorite of all time. However, I find John Singer Sargent's Capri Girl on a Rooftop wonderful.

[​IMG]

bluesky, zobalob, Fahzz and 3 others like this.
  25. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Suzanne in the Woods
    by Carl Larsson