Favorite photos of the WHO. Do we have a thread like this? My fave pic of Pete...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I wonder how his hearing is doing?

2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

43 years ago today, The Who performed at Celtic Football Ground in Parkhead district of Glasgow, Scotland on June 5th, 1976. The Who Put the Boot In tour!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Read about it here: Who Put the boot In Parkhead Glasgow 1976

marmalade166 and mdm08033 like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

6. peter

peter Senior Member

Great photos here.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

8. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The Who performing at the University of Reading in Reading, UK on October 2nd, 1971.
    From The Who Concert File book:
    A low-key warm-up show, this was only publicized on campus the day before and attracted a capacity audience of 800. Charles Shaar Murray, future New Musical Express staff writer and long-standing Who fanatic, witnessed The Who for the first time at this show. He recalled a few years later: "That combination of power and humour, anger and compassion, gracefulness and clowning, all those incredible songs... the audience just sat on the floor and stared at them, open-mouthed and awe-struck." After the show, Keith Moon quickly vacated his drum stool and ran round the outside of the hall. He burst in through the main entrance behind the audience, and began to yell "rubbish" towards the stage! It is likely that this concert saw the first live performance of Pete's Lifehouse master: piece 'Baba O'Riley', which after considerable rehearsal, the band had managed to master by playing along to a taped synthesizer part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon H., Phil147, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  9. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Where are the Vari-Lites and screens? :D

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

12. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

13. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

MSG, NYC June 1974....

[​IMG]

mkhannah, reb and marmalade166 like this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

After Charlton and Parkhead, I felt sure that today keifspoon would have posted a ton of photos from the third and final Who Put The Boot In show: Swansea's Vetch Field (RIP), June 12th, 1976.

Sadly, he must have some anti-Welsh bias, so I guess we aren't getting anything. :winkgrin:

So, in lieu of the good stuff, here's some lesser stuff to tide you over.

Firstly, some info and recollections of the show from the same site that I have quoted previously:

Who Put the boot In charlton FC stadium 1976

Secondly, some Irish guy's recollection of the show: The Who @ Vetch Field Football Stadium, Swansea. 12/06/1976 – Mik The Who's Artistic Contemplations

Thirdly, a crowd shot (showing us all basking in the drizzle) and a shot of the stage (showing what a dump the Vetch was):

[​IMG]

I was off the to the right of the above image (stage center).

[​IMG]

(This is showing the stage set-up for SAHB, speakers covered in plastic to keep the rain out.)

Finally, my own recollections of the show, written in 2004 for the Undercover (Rolling Stones) mailing list in a thread about favorite concerts. Hope you enjoy!

---

The Who - The Vetch Field, Swansea - 12 June, 1976

As those familiar with the Stones' Cardiff and Pembroke Castle shows debacle will know, big concerts in South Wales were, and still are, a rarity! So, imagine my surprise when The Who announced their Put The Boot In UK tour, a massive 3 concerts: one in England (Charlton), one in Scotland (Celtic) and one in Wales (Swansea). Tickets were an earth-shattering 4 Pounds including VAT!!! Never mind, I had seen the `74 Charlton show on the Old Grey Whistle Test, and now that The Who were using lasers, this was one show I had to see. So, my mate JT and I ended up sleeping outside the Virgin Records store in Swansea just to get tickets. My parents thought that I was mad, and I probably was, my mates Phat, Ben and Jake walked in days later and had no problem buying tickets! No matter, I had a ticket, and it was what, only 2 or 3 months until show time?

Having read the reports in the NME and Melody Maker about the Charlton and Celtic shows I knew that:

3. The Who had been playing really well;
    h. the weather had been atrocious;
    &. there had been fighting within the crowd at both shows.

Great, this was something to look forward to as show day approached. Finally, JT, Ben, Phat, Jake and I found ourselves outside the closest supermarket to the Vetch Field. Only trouble was, it was closed! We had to wait until 9 a.m. before we could go in, act mature, and hope to make off with some alcohol -- after all, we were all 15! Lucking out and with enough Olde English to give a seasoned alcoholic a bad head, we made off for the queue -- this being my first big, open-air show, I was not very queue savvy at this point.

My mother thought that I was mad to have gone to Swansea by 8 a.m. for a show that would not start for many hours. If that was the case, how come there were already so many people outside the gates? We joined the line, and proceeded to sip on our cider, and eat the assorted sandwiches our despairing Mums had made for us. At some point, the queue started moving, and we went through several shifts before opening time. During the shifting, security warned us that no cans or bottles would be allowed inside. Uh, what do we do about all this stuff we have? Drink it, or lose it!

We started quaffing as fast as we could before the gates opened. I took the bold decision to try to hide some cans at the bottom of my rucksack. With my stash safe, I joined the rest of the guys trying to demolish the cider mountain. I don't recall how we got talking to the three guys in front of us, but one was Irish, one was American and the third was Australian. They had all come over from Ireland for the show. They looked to me like the acid-casualty hippies from the films of 1960s San Francisco or Woodstock. They were all considerably older than we were, must have been mid-20s, at least!

Every one was sharing all they had, so we offered these guys some cider and they offered us red wine (bottles of Matteus Rose, if I remember correctly) and a large bottle of what looked like pi$$. I told them there was no way I was drinking pi$$, but the Irish guy told me, "This is not pi$$, it's Irish poteen potato whiskey." Yeah right, and I'm Roger Daltrey. To prove it, he drank some first. So, on a dare, I took the bottle and held it up to my mouth. The vapors were so strong, my eyes started watering. I took a swig. Shee-it! Talk about strong. Round and round the bottle went, round and round the cider went, round and round the wine went, and round and round my head went!

Eventually, it was time to go in. Security asked whether we had bottles or cans. "No," we all said. Ben was just ahead of me with an umbrella sticking out of his bag. Security asked what it was. D'uh! They didn't like it, and promptly snapped it in half! Uh-oh, I thought, here we go. My turn came, they squeezed the bottom of my rucksack. $hit, rumbled. They pulled the cans out, and tossed them in a giant container which was rapidly filling. "I can get these back after the show?" I sheepishly asked. "Sure," they said. I was on a steep learning curve this day!

Despite not being close to the front of the queue, we managed to get within 20 feet of the stage, right in the center. We couldn't figure it out until we sat down. Moisture! As for all the other shows, rain had been on the menu. The smart folks had taken all the places in the stands under the cover. However, nothing was going to dampen our spirits.

First band on was Widowmaker. Can't tell you anything about their music, all I remember is that they looked suitably glam, being made up of ex-members of Love Affair (Steve Ellis), Mott The Hoople (Ariel Bender), Chicken Shack, Lindisfarne and Hawkwind. I do remember enjoying them, but that could have had a lot to do with the thrill of being at my first open-air show. Next up was the Streetwalkers. I had always enjoyed Family, and still think that Roger Chapman has one of the best voices in rock music. He performed like a raging bull, and I loved every minute. They performed most of their soon to be released Red Card album, plus Family hits like My Friend The Sun, Burlesque and In My Own Time. We were so impressed that JT and I both bought limited edition red vinyl copies of Red Card the day it came out. (Still a favorite album of mine to this day.)

Next up was The Outlaws. I had never even heard of them, and was not in the mood for Florida's answer to The Eagles. I quickly got bored, and my head was spinning faster. I decided to go for a walk -- bad move. I couldn't find my friends afterwards, who had my coat, rucksack, food and Bellboy tour programme. To add insult to injury, I was not flush with cash! At some point I must have given up searching, and sat down on the ground. The next thing I knew, I was out for the count.

The biggest sin I have committed in my concert-going life happened next, I slept through Little Feat!! The poteen must have been strong stuff because I slept on cold, wet grass in only a T-shirt and jeans while it drizzled. I remember waking up, and a couple giving me a concerned look. I thanked them for keeping an eye on me, and then proceeded to hurl my guts up. Some thanks!

I bid them farewell, and promptly ran into Jake and Ben, great, lead me to my stuff. What stuff? Never mind, Phat and JT must have it. No sooner had I come round when it was time for The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Delilah was a huge hit at the time. SAHB had a wall behind them and Alex sprayed it with words like Vambo Rules. They were great, and it was only afterwards that I wondered about his state of mind, since his brother, Les, had been electrocuted on stage in Swansea a few years earlier.

Then the wait until it was dark enough for The Who to use their lasers. Little mirrors had been set up on the flood-lights in the four corners of the football stadium. The laser light would reflect off the mirrors and form a canopy over the crowd. I was expecting this to be amazing: it wasn't! You could hardly see it! However, the show itself was wonderful. A lengthy Tommy section, all the big numbers from Who's Next and the early singles. Daltrey was just 15-20 feet from us right in the center of the stage, sending the mic spinning over the heads of the crowd. Townshend windmilling away, Moon constantly moving, Entwistle as static as a rock, but playing up a storm. It was simply exhilarating.

After the show, I tried to get my cans of cider back from security -- talk about naïve. I managed to get some water off a hot-dog vendor, as I was parched. The next day I made it over to Phat's to collect my stuff. He handed me my mud-encrusted coat. "So, where's my rucksack?" I asked. "What rucksack?" Some bastard still has my blue rucksack with my ham sandwiches and copy of Bellboy stuffed inside it! Grrrr!

Two years later I was on my way to Knebworth on my 18th birthday to see Zappa, Gabriel and The Tubes when news came through of Moon's death. It stunned us all. I wouldn't see The Who again for over 20 years. They still play with the intensity they showed on that day, and I only wish the Stones would put as much effort into their playing.

Phil147, Davido, mdm08033 and 6 others like this.
  15. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Rog & Pete:

[​IMG]

Pete & Di:

[​IMG]

Phil147, felipezorro and Bill like this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

Phil147 and bluesky like this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

50 years ago tonight, Thr Who performed at Royal Albert Hall in London, England on July 5th, 1969.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon H., slipkid, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.
  21. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Two shows were performed. After a dispute over billing, it is agreed that Chuck Berry headlines the first show while The Who headlines the second. Fights break out between Berry fans (whom started the mayhem) and Who fans which leads to Roger getting hit in the forehead with a sharpened coin. To quell the rioters, roadie Tony Halsam fires a mace canister into the crowd. The second show is quieter as the audience fills up with people who have wandered over from The Rolling Stones' free concert in Hyde Park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

49 years ago tonight, The Who performed at Cobo Arena in Detroit, Michigan on July 5th, 1970. James Gang opened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon H., Phil147, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Good times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.