Favorite Psychedelic LP from the 1st era (1966-1975)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The Chocolate Watchband - The Inner Mystique

latheofheaven and Electric like this.
  2. A little while ago, I was introduced to this band and this album "Just a Poke" from 1970 by a colleague. Never had heard of the band before that. I think they are from the Netherlands.

Wow, what a great album and fantastic music. Each album side has just one track/song, running about 17 minutes each.

I first bought the respective CD (on EMI/Harvest), and then as luck would have it, I found a really nice "near mint" vinyl copy as well. The CD has the two sides mixed up, starting with the track "Baby Night" and then "Silly Sally" as the second track, whereas on my vinyl copy, it is the other way around, side 1 has "Silly Sally" and side 2 has "Baby Night".

There are long instrumental segments in these tracks, but also great vocal/song parts. Soul influences, some Funk and some Jazz elements. If you like 70's music with longer jam segments such as the Allman Bros., Grateful Dead, Wishbone Ash, etc., you should check out this album.

They also have another album called "Darkness to Light" from 1972, but it is not as good as "Just a Poke" in my opinion. There is also a live album called "Sweet Smoke Live" from 1974 which I also like.

It is great to discover some "new" music of this high quality.

Recording quality of the album "Just a Poke" is also fantastic, demo material.

Svetonio likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The 4 Seasons* ‎– The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette
    [​IMG]

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  4. holyroller

holyroller Well-Known Member

I've listened to so so many albums from the 60s mainly 67,68,69 which all feature some kind of psychedelic aspect to them. However, i really think, the people saying Piper At The Gates is good are kind of wrong. That album isn't really anything special other than it's "whacky" spin on some things. A lot of it is filler-esque and drags on. IMO there are a lot of other albums during this time that beat Piper in both terms of quality and psychedelics

5. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I've been really enjoying The Smoke's It's Smoke Time album lately:

6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I already chose Electric Ladyland, Jimi
    Hendrix Experience; since there really
    is no single favourite, I'll add
    Supernatural Fairy Tales, by Art
    [​IMG]

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I have been enjoying Uriah Heep’s Salisbury lately, that would seem to qualify

Fishoutofwater and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I love that album. Ahead of their time indeed. The songs sound like they could have been written today. "Sally's Hymn" is one of the trippiest tracks on there. I actually interviewed Tommy Horricks about that record for a past issue of my zine, free PDF of it here - Psych Trail Mix

GerryO and Peter Needham like this.
  9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Your opinion is certainly in the minority but I wholeheartedly agree with you. When the mono version was on the Record Store Day schedule a while back, I thought about getting a copy so I pulled the CD off the shelf to listen again for the first time in quite a while. My conclusion was "Wow, this really isn't very good". That saved me $30 from my RSD budget and I'll probably never play the CD again.

holyroller likes this.
  10. holyroller

holyroller Well-Known Member

I've revisited it many times and still gettin nothing out of it. there's much better pink floyd to listen to and much better 60s psychedelic albums

Bob J likes this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Back in his Chicago days, Bill told a story of his kids hearing the Sons material for the first time and them going, "wow, dad you used to really rock."

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Its been twenty five years since I have tried any psychedelic drug (mushrooms).At age 58 I honestly don't think it'll happen again but if I did Pink Floyds Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast would be KILLER.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I believe this is the best psychedelic album from the era!

[​IMG]

Buddybud and Jae like this.
  14. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Concur!

challenge likes this.
  15. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm with you.I love Pink Floyd but Piper escapes me.

Bob J likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I love Piper but much of Floyd escapes me.

stetsonic and bzfgt like this.
  17. Rim Kelley

Rim Kelley Forum Resident

The Conqueroos 1968 Sonobeat single "1 To 3" backed with "I've Got Time" now out in newly restored and remastered digital editions on all major music download and streaming services.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Piper

bzfgt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.